Word Wrap for Edit Control

ahha

Go to solution Solved by pixelsearch,

I'm trying to get Word Wrap under (Format) to work in the program below and feel like the blind squirrel not finding the nut.  The program has a built in string for testing and will accept drag and drop. I've tried combinations of GUICtrlSetStyle that I thought would work and searched the forum and nada. This blind squirrel needs some help.

#AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y    ;use this to debug in console window <--- LOOK
Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1) ;0=no, 1=require pre-declaration
;Hack for Word Wrap v3c.au3

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GUIEdit.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Global $data = "", $file = "", $hGUI, $cEdit

$hGUI = GUICreate("GUI Window", 920, 570, -1, -1, BitOR($WS_MAXIMIZEBOX, $WS_MINIMIZEBOX, $WS_SIZEBOX), BitOR($WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES))       ;handle
$cEdit = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 10, 10, 800, 455, BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL, $WS_HSCROLL, $ES_NOHIDESEL))   ;control ID
;normally I have the $cEdit occupying the full size of the client region of $hGUI - border here to make sure we can see what's happening
GUICtrlSetState($cEdit, $GUI_DROPACCEPTED)      ;allow drag and drop
GUICtrlSetFont($cEdit, 10, 400, 0, "Courier New")       ;change default font
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)

;Format Menu
Local $idFormatMenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu("F&ormat")  ;Create the Format menu. Underline o when Alt is pressed.
;sub-menus
    Local $idFormatMenu_WordWrap = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("&Word Wrap" &@TAB& "", $idFormatMenu) ;Create the "Word Wrap" menu item. Underline W when Alt is pressed.

$data = "8e4t9qn0rgup3qrelm0b9emp9061abjm9n9tyv44m2edpbfj1svwulpe02dcwjdqcyyajru4dfyfk8w0anlk86t335qcoeekm2baxv40nzqs9ka65lo09su8omqaw7"    ;for testing
_GUICtrlEdit_SetText($cEdit, $data)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ;display the GUI

Local $nMsg
While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    If $nMsg <> 0 Then
        Switch $nMsg
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                Exit
            Case $idFormatMenu_WordWrap
                _WordWrap()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_DROPPED
                _GUICtrlEdit_SetText($cEdit, FileRead(@GUI_DragFile))   ;read and set the data to be displayed
        EndSwitch
    EndIf
WEnd

Func _WordWrap()

If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idFormatMenu_WordWrap), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED Then    ;turn off Word Wrap
        GUICtrlSetState($idFormatMenu_WordWrap, $GUI_UNCHECKED)     ;uncheck Word Wrap
        GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL, $WS_HSCROLL, $ES_NOHIDESEL))    ;<- original style
    Else
        GUICtrlSetState($idFormatMenu_WordWrap, $GUI_CHECKED)       ;turn on Word Wrap and show checked
    ;I can't seem to find the correct combination to get the text to Word Wrap.  Check the forum and tried these.
        ;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_EDIT)  ;does not work
        ;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, $ES_AUTOVSCROLL)   ;does not work
        ;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL))   ;does not work but gets rid of hscroll till resize GUI Window then hscroll reappears
        ;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $ES_WANTRETURN))    ;does not work and gets rid of vscroll and hscroll
        ;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, $ES_AUTOVSCROLL)   ;does not work
        ;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, -1)        ;does not work
        ;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, BitOR($ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL))     ;does not work
        ;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_EDIT)   ;does not work
        ;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_NOHIDESEL))     ;does not work
        ;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_NOHIDESEL))     ;does not work and as soon as resize GUI the hscroll reappears
        GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_EDIT, $WS_VSCROLL))    ;does not work
    ;This blind squirrel needs help
    EndIf
EndFunc

here work

#include <GUIEdit.au3>

Global $data = "", $file = "", $hGUI, $cEdit

$hGUI = GUICreate("GUI Window", 920, 570, -1, -1, $WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, BitOR($WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES))       ;handle
$cEdit = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 10, 10, 800, 455, BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_NOHIDESEL))   ;control ID
GUICtrlSetState($cEdit, $GUI_DROPACCEPTED)      ;allow drag and drop
GUICtrlSetFont($cEdit, 10, 400, 0, "Courier New")       ;change default font
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)

$data = "8e4t9qn0rgup3qrelm0b9emp9061abjm9n9tyv44m2edpbfj1svwulpe02dcwjdqcyyajru4dfyfk8w0anlk86t335qcoeekm2baxv40nzqs9ka65lo09su8omqaw7"    ;for testing
GUICtrlSetData($cEdit, $data)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ;display the GUI

Local $nMsg
While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    If $nMsg <> 0 Then
        Switch $nMsg
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                Exit

Case $GUI_EVENT_DROPPED

EndSwitch
    EndIf
WEnd

Edited by ioa747

I know that I know nothing

@ioa747 Thanks for your input.  However it's not working in the program.

Look at line 59 and uncomment it. 

;GUICtrlSetStyle($cEdit, BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_NOHIDESEL))

It's the same as your line and it does not work in the program.

BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_NOHIDESEL))

This is my frustration, why does it not work?  As you can see I've tried a lot of combinations and not found the correct one yet.

Yours was used in a GUICtrlCreateEdit not in a GUICtrlSetStyle.  Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Edited by ahha

• Solution

Hi everybody :)
It seems tricky. Have you already seen any AutoIt script where OP's need is solved with a simple control style (added or removed) after the Edit control has been created ?

Even MS write this on its msdn page, topic Edit Control Styles

After the control has been created, these styles cannot be modified, except as noted (...)

It seems frustrating because when we open NotePad, menu Format, option Word Wrap, then we can easily check/unchech the Word wrap option and the Edit control in NotePad reacts immediately & correctly.

But did you notice the following ?
If you use "AutoIt Window Info Tool" to check the handle of NotePad's Edit control, before and after you checked the Word Wrap option... the handle CHANGES each time ! (we're talking here of NotePad Edit control handle, not of NotePad window handle)

It means that even MS deletes the Edit Control and recreates it immediately, with the new appropriate style, when the user checks/unchecks Word Wrap in NotePad

@ahha I tried the same way to solve it in the script below, it seems to work fine :

#include <GUIEdit.au3>
#include <String.au3>

Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1) ;0=no, 1=require pre-declaration
Global $g_hGUI, $g_idEdit

$g_hGUI = GUICreate("GUI Window", 920, 570, -1, -1, $WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES) ;handle
_EditRecreate(False) ;False = no word wrap (keep it False here, to match with the unchecked Menu item "Word Wrap")

;Format Menu
Local $idFormatMenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu("F&ormat") ;Create the Format menu. Underline o when Alt is pressed.
;sub-menus
Local $idFormatMenu_WordWrap = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("&Word Wrap" &@TAB& "", $idFormatMenu) ;Create the "Word Wrap" menu item. Underline W when Alt is pressed.

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $g_hGUI) ;display the GUI
_GUICtrlEdit_SetSel($g_idEdit, -1, 0) ;deselects only when placed AFTER GUISetState()

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $idFormatMenu_WordWrap
            _WordWrap()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_DROPPED
            _GUICtrlEdit_SetText($g_idEdit, FileRead(@GUI_DragFile)) ;read and set the data to be displayed
    EndSwitch
WEnd

;=============================
Func _WordWrap()
    If BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idFormatMenu_WordWrap), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED Then ;turn off Word Wrap
        _EditRecreate(False) ; False = no word wrap
        GUICtrlSetState($idFormatMenu_WordWrap, $GUI_UNCHECKED) ;uncheck Word Wrap
    Else ;turn on Word Wrap
        _EditRecreate(True) ; True = word wrap
        GUICtrlSetState($idFormatMenu_WordWrap, $GUI_CHECKED) ;turn on Word Wrap and show checked
    EndIf
EndFunc

;=============================
Func _EditRecreate($bWordWrap)
    Local $idEdit_Old = $g_idEdit ;0 at first passage
    If $idEdit_Old Then
        Local $aPos = ControlGetPos($g_hGUI, "", $idEdit_Old)
    Else ;1st passage
        Local $aPos[4] = [10, 10, 800, 455]
    EndIf
    $g_idEdit = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", $aPos[0], $aPos[1], $aPos[2], $aPos[3], ($bWordWrap _
        ? BitOr($ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_AUTOVSCROLL) _
        : -1)) ;control ID
    GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DROPACCEPTED) ;allow drag and drop
    GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 400, 0, "Courier New") ;change default font
    If $idEdit_Old Then
        _GUICtrlEdit_SetText($g_idEdit, GUICtrlRead($idEdit_Old))
        Local $aSel = _GUICtrlEdit_GetSel($idEdit_Old)
        GUICtrlDelete($idEdit_Old)
        _GUICtrlEdit_SetSel($g_idEdit, $aSel[0], $aSel[1])
    Else ;1st passage
        _GUICtrlEdit_SetText($g_idEdit, _StringRepeat("1234567890", 20))
    EndIf
EndFunc

Hope it helps

Edited by pixelsearch
As the GUI is resizable, the coords of the Edit Control need to be checked just before recreating it . Also, take care of an eventual selection

Yes, in my notememopad script i have had to delete and recreate it as well.

here is a snippet, (reacting from the tray menu item ):

Case $idWW
            $WordWrap = Mod($WordWrap + 1, 2)
            _TrayCheckUncheck($idWW, $WordWrap)
            If $WordWrap = 0 Then
                $ww = -1
            Else
                $ww = BitOR($WS_VSCROLL, $ES_AUTOVSCROLL)
            EndIf
            IniWrite($inifile, "OPTIONS", "Wordwrap", $WordWrap)
            $tmp = GUICtrlRead($Edit1)
            GUICtrlDelete($Edit1)
            $Edit1 = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 2, 2, 500, 444, $ww)
            _GUICtrlEdit_SetLimitText($Edit1, 20000000)
            GetIniFont($Edit1)
            GUICtrlSetData($Edit1, $tmp)
            $tmp = ""

Some of my script sourcecode

@pixelsearchThank you so much!  That explains it all and why my futile attempts failed to work.  I did not previously see the Notepad handle change, now I do.  It all makes sense now (and I guess I can halt one of my computers that is trying every style from 0 to about 4 billion to brute force search for a style that word wraps 🙂 I do note that even Notepad does not keep a current selection when it changes Word Wrap on/off.  This blind squirrel would never have found the nut without your help.  Perhaps a mention of this issue in the GUICtrlSetStyle help page would help others.  Thanks again.

45 minutes ago, ahha said:

That explains it all and why my futile attempts failed to work.

It's not futile at all, you did your best to achieve your goal, trying it in many ways. I like this approach and tend to do same, trying and retrying, then asking for help on the Forum when you feel that you'll never find the answer by yourself.

45 minutes ago, ahha said:

I do note that even Notepad does not keep a current selection when it changes Word Wrap on/off.

Keeping the current selection seems doable at any stage, we started to discuss it in this post.
I just amended my script above to take care of an eventual selection, no matter the word wrap is active or not.
Good luck :)

Edited by pixelsearch
typo