Google Profiles chrome://version/

Go to solution Solved by OJBakker,

I was wondering, if there was a simple way to get data from chrome://version/...I tried InetRead("chrome://version/"), but it is not a URL, so I am getting an error 1
What I want is the Profile Path, so I can determine which profile is being used at the time the script is running.

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Hi @nitekram,

I tried to get the profile path by cURL without any useful response 😔 . So I cannot help so far, but please let me know why do you expect that the profile path will change? Since the default path is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default, it depends on the user, not more. Am I right or what do I miss here?

Best regards
Sven

Edited by SOLVE-SMART

Stay innovative!

Spoiler

🌍 Au3Forums

🎲 AutoIt (en) Cheat Sheet

📊 AutoIt limits/defaults

💎 Code Katas: [...] (comming soon)

🎭 Collection of GitHub users with AutoIt projects

🐞 False-Positives

🔮 Me on GitHub

💬 Opinion about new forum sub category

📑 UDF wiki list

✂ VSCode-AutoItSnippets

📑 WebDriver FAQs

👨‍🏫 WebDriver Tutorial (coming soon)

I think he wants to be able to check running chrome and see who is using it right now as this info is displayed there, not what profiles are available.

You may check this

but I don't think it's easy ;) and I'm not even 100% sure this will do the trick ;)

27 minutes ago, sakej said:

I think he wants to be able to check running chrome and see who is using it right now as this info is displayed there, not what profiles are available.

I still don't get it completely. If a chrome instance is started, than under the context of the logged in username/user context.
So could a simple check of a running chrome instance be enough? If chrome is running, for a specific user, you do know the profile, right?

I need more information about the goal to be honest. Beside that I am not sure if WebDriver can reach the chrome specific site information like chrome://version or chrome://settings/privacy. Please provide more information @nitekram and I will check the reachability of the chrome://version site for you 🤝 .

As my conclusion so far: The au3WebDriver project could be a helpful address.

Best regards
Sven

Stay innovative!

Spoiler

🌍 Au3Forums

📊 AutoIt limits/defaults

🐞 False-Positives

🔮 Me on GitHub

📑 UDF wiki list

✂ VSCode-AutoItSnippets

📑 WebDriver FAQs

4 minutes ago, SOLVE-SMART said:

If chrome is running, for a specific user, you do know the profile, right?

Not necessarily. The user could potentially be choosing between multiple profiles at any given time.

The active profile could possibly be retrieved from the command line. Here's a quick example modified from the help file --

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y
#RequireAdmin

#include <Array.au3>
#include <WinAPIHObj.au3>
#include <WinAPIProc.au3>

Local $aAdjust, $aList = 0

; Enable "SeDebugPrivilege" privilege for obtain full access rights to another processes
Local $hToken = _WinAPI_OpenProcessToken(BitOR($TOKEN_ADJUST_PRIVILEGES, $TOKEN_QUERY))

_WinAPI_AdjustTokenPrivileges($hToken, $SE_DEBUG_NAME, $SE_PRIVILEGE_ENABLED, $aAdjust)

; Retrieve command-line arguments for all processes the system
If Not (@error Or @extended) Then
        $aList = ProcessList('chrome.exe')

For $i = 1 To $aList[0][0]
                $aList[$i][1] = _WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine($aList[$i][1])
        Next
EndIf

; Enable SeDebugPrivilege privilege by default
_WinAPI_AdjustTokenPrivileges($hToken, $aAdjust, 0, $aAdjust)
_WinAPI_CloseHandle($hToken)

_ArrayDisplay($aList, '_WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine')

Webdriver should be able to navigate to the sites you mentioned. Even better, I think you can just extract the information from _WD_GetSession.

Thanks....
I am trying to delete the cookies/cache, and it appears that the loaded profile is not the default at the time the script runs, so those files are never touched. There are or could be multiple profiles, and would only like to delete the files from the one having issues. I can see the information on when I go to chrome://version/ in the browser, and if I could pull that info out, I could do what I want.

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

3 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

Not necessarily. The user could potentially be choosing between multiple profiles at any given time.

The active profile could possibly be retrieved from the command line. Here's a quick example modified from the help file --

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y
#RequireAdmin

#include <Array.au3>
#include <WinAPIHObj.au3>
#include <WinAPIProc.au3>

Local $aAdjust, $aList = 0

; Enable "SeDebugPrivilege" privilege for obtain full access rights to another processes
Local $hToken = _WinAPI_OpenProcessToken(BitOR($TOKEN_ADJUST_PRIVILEGES, $TOKEN_QUERY))

_WinAPI_AdjustTokenPrivileges($hToken, $SE_DEBUG_NAME, $SE_PRIVILEGE_ENABLED, $aAdjust)

; Retrieve command-line arguments for all processes the system
If Not (@error Or @extended) Then
        $aList = ProcessList('chrome.exe')

For $i = 1 To $aList[0][0]
                $aList[$i][1] = _WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine($aList[$i][1])
        Next
EndIf

; Enable SeDebugPrivilege privilege by default
_WinAPI_AdjustTokenPrivileges($hToken, $aAdjust, 0, $aAdjust)
_WinAPI_CloseHandle($hToken)

_ArrayDisplay($aList, '_WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine')

Webdriver should be able to navigate to the sites you mentioned. Even better, I think you can just extract the information from _WD_GetSession.

This does not seem to work as it needs admin creds

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

2 minutes ago, nitekram said:

Can you be more specific than "doesn't work"?

FWIW, it works fine on my machine. I had to force 64 bit for it to correctly gather the Chrome command line. If you aren't running the 64 bit version of Chrome, then you could try it with the first line commented out.

18 minutes ago, nitekram said:

I am trying to delete the cookies/cache, and it appears that the loaded profile is not the default at the time the script runs, so those files are never touched. There are or could be multiple profiles, and would only like to delete the files from the one having issues. I can see the information on when I go to chrome://version/ in the browser, and if I could pull that info out, I could do what I want.

Okay, thanks for the explanation @nitekram 👍 .

19 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

Thanks @Danp2 for you explanation, too. I didn't realized such situation so far 👍 . Understood now ✔ .

15 minutes ago, nitekram said:

Yes because of the #RequireAdmin directive. But otherwise it wouldn't work.

I get only a crashpad-handler information which looks like the one you are looking for, but I am not well experienced with that. Maybe @Danp2 you can have a quick look on that screenshot and say "yes" or "no"?

get-chrome-process-information.png

19 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

Oh yes 👍 , even better! You're right 😀 .

Best regards
Sven

Edited by SOLVE-SMART

Stay innovative!

Spoiler

🌍 Au3Forums

📊 AutoIt limits/defaults

🐞 False-Positives

🔮 Me on GitHub

📑 UDF wiki list

✂ VSCode-AutoItSnippets

📑 WebDriver FAQs

8 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

Can you be more specific than "doesn't work"?

FWIW, it works fine on my machine. I had to force 64 bit for it to correctly gather the Chrome command line. If you aren't running the 64 bit version of Chrome, then you could try it with the first line commented out.

Sorry, because the admin window comes up and asks for user input, this will not work for my issue, but also, I ran it as admin, and I do not see any info that would allow me to see the path that is currently being used...I would expect something like AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\profile 1 or whatever profile is being used or AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\default? 

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

25 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

Does the session have to be open to be able to get the information, or can the window be hidden? I have not looked at the code, but will start to pull it up and see - thanks

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

6 minutes ago, nitekram said:

[...] and I do not see any info that would allow me to see the path that is currently being used... [...]

Did you saw my screenshot and question in this post above and @Danp2s answer underneath? This should be at least a hard indicator which user it is.

Best regards
Sven

Edited by SOLVE-SMART

Stay innovative!

Spoiler

🌍 Au3Forums

📊 AutoIt limits/defaults

🐞 False-Positives

🔮 Me on GitHub

📑 UDF wiki list

✂ VSCode-AutoItSnippets

📑 WebDriver FAQs

1 minute ago, SOLVE-SMART said:

Did you saw my screenshot and question in this post above and @Danp2s answer? This should be at least a hard indicator which user it is.

Best regards
Sven

Yes I see the username, I can get that information, but I am looking for the profile information - unless I missed it?

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

1 minute ago, Danp2 said:

@nitekramSorry you don't like the solution I posted, but it does fit the requirements as shown in your initial post. 😏

I wouldn't recommend investigating Webdriver because it likely won't help in this scenario where the browser was manually launched by the user.

Somewhat fits lol...If that path was complete at the end...that would be closer?

Profile Path C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

1 minute ago, Danp2 said:

I wouldn't recommend investigating Webdriver because it likely won't help in this scenario where the browser was manually launched by the user.

Yes unfortunately 😔 .

I wish you the best for your issue @nitekram, I cannot help further. Maybe other members are more experienced with WinApi or similar stuff than me.

Best regards
Sven

Stay innovative!

Spoiler

🌍 Au3Forums

📊 AutoIt limits/defaults

🐞 False-Positives

🔮 Me on GitHub

📑 UDF wiki list

✂ VSCode-AutoItSnippets

📑 WebDriver FAQs

Just now, SOLVE-SMART said:

Yes unfortunately 😔 .

I wish you the best for your issue @nitekram, I cannot help further. Maybe other members are more experienced with WinApi or similar stuff than me.

Best regards
Sven

I thank you for trying...I guess if all else fails, I could ask the user to find the information, and then I would know, but that kind of defeats the automated part of the script lol

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

• Solution

Some other methods to get the profile-location.

the 'çlassic' method:

use chrome keyboard shortcuts (using send() or sendcontrol()) for:  
open new window
focus on adressbar
paste "chrome://version" enter
small wait
select all
copy to clipboard
close window
get data from clipboard and search the profile directory.

the 'wmic'  method:

wmic process where name='chrome.exe' get commandline

the result will report the currently running profile(s)

the 'chrome internals' method:

In Chrome\User Date there is a json file named 'Local State'
Search in that file for "last_active_profiles"
The result is the currently running profile(s).

I like the wmic way 👍 . Also the json file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Local State way 👍 .
Thanks @OJBakker, I love to learn such things. I guess this should also fit @nitekrams needs.

Best regards
Sven

Stay innovative!

Spoiler

🌍 Au3Forums

📊 AutoIt limits/defaults

🐞 False-Positives

🔮 Me on GitHub