Single and double quotes in path

Hello,

I'm trying to find a solution but I can't!!!

What I want to do is to run a program with parameters :

"C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBack\SyncBack.exe" -m "save"

But, it doesn't work!!! It seems to be a quotes problem, but I can't find where!!!

I'serach for 2 hours on the forum but didn't find anything!!!

Thanks for help!!

Oh, my line of code :

RunWait('"C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBack\SyncBack.exe" -m "save"', "C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBack")
What????????

Good idea to use Macro's where suitable. You could try to not using a working directory parameter as well to see if that works, as I see little wrong with your syntax.

RunWait('"' & @ProgramFilesDir & '\2BrightSparks\SyncBack\SyncBack.exe" -m "save"', @ProgramFilesDir & '\2BrightSparks\SyncBack')

Thanks!!

But it still doesn't work!!

In fact the application runs but it does not do what I want.

The aim is to synchronise files between My documents and a file server. Configuration is made in a profile called save.

This command works well in a dos shell, but not in autoit.

I've tried your two solutions

What????????

Hi,

what about

RunWait(0, '"' & "C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBack\SyncBack.exe" _
& '"' & " -m " & '"' &  "save" & '"', '"' & "C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBack" & '"' )

I don´t know whether the save command has to be surrounded by quotes.

But if you post your dos-command, we´ll find the solution. :lmao:

So long,

Mega

Edited by th.meger

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

I have tested the line in my last post and works fine (folder to another folder). I also tried the below and that works.

$dir_start = @WorkingDir
$dir_program = @ProgramFilesDir & '\2BrightSparks\SyncBack'
FileChangeDir($dir_program)
RunWait('SyncBack.exe -m "save"')
FileChangeDir($dir_start)

I am not sure of your problem, unless it is something to do with your file server and permissions or something else. :lmao:

-m is the default action so can be left out of the command if desired.

You may wish to StringFormat() the desired command line - creates nice readable code w/o all the ampersands.

$dir = "c:\program files\2BrightSparks\SyncBack"
$exe = "SyncBack.exe"
$cmd = StringFormat('"%s\\%s" -m save',$dir,$exe)
RunWait($cmd,$dir)

See the StringFormat doc if the \\ is unclear...It might be better to do it this way (untested):

$dir = "c:\program files\2BrightSparks\SyncBack"
$exe = '\' & "SyncBack.exe"
$cmd = StringFormat('"%s%s" -m save',$dir,$exe)
RunWait($cmd,$dir)
Edited by flyingboz

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

If you have lots of switches in a runwait (without the comspec) i have noticed that it will usually fail.

try this

RunWait(@comspec & ' /c "C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBack\SyncBack.exe" -m "save"')
Edited by blademonkey

---"Educate the Mind, Make Savage the Body" -Mao Tse Tung

I usually use _rundos() for things like this.

Also, when formatting complex dos commands, I use clipput() as a debugging tool, so that whatever you are attempting to run in autoit is pasted to the clipboard.

Try pasting it into a dos window, executing it and see what errors are being thrown up.

If you have lots of switches in a runwait (without the comspec) i have noticed that it will usually fail.

try this

RunWait(@comspec & ' /c "C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBack\SyncBack.exe" -m "save"')
I'm going to agree with BladeMonkey on this one. His code should work flawlessly. :lmao:

[quote] Gilbertson's Law: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.Sandro Alvares: Flaxcrack is please not noob! i can report you is stop stupid. The Post[/quote]I made this: FWD & MD5PWD()

I usually use _rundos() for things like this.

Also, when formatting complex dos commands, I use clipput() as a debugging tool, so that whatever you are attempting to run in autoit is pasted to the clipboard.

Try pasting it into a dos window, executing it and see what errors are being thrown up.

Good point.

I personnally use the consolewrite() command for debugging. It goes write into the Scite debug window and is a life saver for Loop issues.

---"Educate the Mind, Make Savage the Body" -Mao Tse Tung

From the help file:

Strings

Strings are enclosed in double-quotes like "this". If you want a string actually contain a double-quote use it twice like:

"here is a ""double-quote"" - ok?"

You can also use single-quotes like 'this' and 'here is a ' 'single-quote' ' - ok?'

You can mix quote types to make for easier working and to avoid having to double-up your quotes to get what you want. For example if you want to use a lot of double-quotes in your strings then you should use single-quotes for declaring them:

'This "sentence" contains "lots" of "double-quotes" does it not?'

is much simpler than:

"This ""sentence"" contains ""lots"" of ""double-quotes"" does it not?"

When evaluated, strings can have Env variables or Var variables substitution according to Opt() function definition.

So: Put the whole lot inside a set of single quotes and see if that does the trick.