Can you digitally sign compiled AutoIt scripts?

JerryD

I've written an AutoIt script to help automate upgrading Blackberry Desktop and download the latest firmware for specific devices. It's nice and tiny, and works great - not bragging, just praising AutoIt!

Anyway, the compile script is on an internal FTP server, and a link to it will be on a Web page. I'd really like the instructions for its use to click the link and select RUN, except that when you do that, it comes up with this BIG UGLY SECURITY WARNING

I have the MS SDK, and it looks like there is some stuff there to digitally sign VB projects, but it's unclear how - or if an AutoIt script can be digitally signed.

I've already searched the forms, so if you DO have links to the topic from here and you found them through Search or Power Search, let me know what and how you searched to find it!

Thanks.

Jerry

OK. Thanks.

Valik is right, you cannot currently directly sign an autoit created .exe and have it still work - but you can work around that by re-compressing the .exe with another .exe compression tool (such as iexpress.exe included with windows XP) - after your recompress it with that - the new .exe produced can be signed by tools in the Microsoft .Net Framework SDK (freely downloadable from MS). (I posted a .bat file that had an example - I think you should be able to find it by searching for the few posts by me..)

FWIW, Perhaps this hack/work-around will be helpful in your situation...

• 5 months later...

Valik is right, you cannot currently directly sign an autoit created .exe and have it still work - but you can work around that by re-compressing the .exe with another .exe compression tool (such as iexpress.exe included with windows XP) - after your recompress it with that - the new .exe produced can be signed by tools in the Microsoft .Net Framework SDK (freely downloadable from MS). (I posted a .bat file that had an example - I think you should be able to find it by searching for the few posts by me..)

FWIW, Perhaps this hack/work-around will be helpful in your situation...

Just tested with the latest AutoIT Beta version - it now works great. I digitally signed my compiled script and it works - Great Stuff AutoIT team !!!

• Developers

How do you sign a .exe? What programs did you use, etc?

-John

signtool.exe ...

The challenge is to get a certificate you can sign with .....

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 4 years later...

FYI is abbreviation for "Five Fucking Years", right?

If I found this post then others will too... It's googlable and it hasn't actually been closed off with the right information...

Hehe... This is your public service announcement :unsure: Next week I'll be announcing the moon landings for those who haven't heard :>

Are you telling me something I need to know or something I want to know?