Protect USB Drive

Hi,

I've a 512MB USB drive that I use for school...

Now I want protect all files on the USB stick.

I was think about this:

If you put you USB drive into the computer, must automatic enter a password field. If you have the correct password you can get all files. If the password is wrong are all files encrypt.

Is this save and can I make this with AutoITscript?

Thanks,

YoseMite

Hi,

I was think about this:

If you put you USB drive into the computer, must automatic enter a password field. If you have the correct password you can get all files. If the password is wrong are all files encrypt.

Thanks,

YoseMite

I use this free program http://axcrypt.sourceforge.net/ on my usb drive.

You could have Autoit Detect the USB Drive when its plugged in and then run whatever....

2015 - Still no flying cars, instead blankets with sleeves.

Hi,

if your usb-device hasn´t got a software I would use SafeGuard PrivateCrypto. I think it may help you reaching the aim of having only one encrypted file - protected by a password.

Maybe you can script the start of the decrypt- and encrypt process in SafeGuard PrivateCrypto with autoit and save it also on your usb-stick. :lmao:

So long,

Mega

Hope that helps ...

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

If the PC doesn't have it disabled (a lot don't), how about piggybacking onto the autorun facility that is usually invoked when you plug the key in? You should be able to attach a compiled AutoIT script to the autorun to ask for a password, etc. I'd approach the problem from the other side, leaving the data on the key encrypted unless a correct password was supplied.

Edited by Confuzzled

If the PC doesn't have it disabled (a lot don't), how about piggybacking onto the autorun facility that is usually invoked when you plug the key in? You should be able to attach a compiled AutoIT script to the autorun to ask for a password, etc. I'd approach the problem from the other side, leaving the data on the key encrypted unless a correct password was supplied.

"piggybacking" on autorun wouldn't be much security at all... I definately suggest leaving the data encrypted unless you supply the password.

Hi,

I was think about this:

Thanks,

YoseMite

Just use WINDOWS EFS (Encrypted File System) It will keep your gear safe.

[quote] Gilbertson's Law: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.Sandro Alvares: Flaxcrack is please not noob! i can report you is stop stupid. The Post[/quote]I made this: FWD & MD5PWD()

Just use WINDOWS EFS (Encrypted File System) It will keep your gear safe.

Are the EFS files that are encrypted portable and unencryptable on other machines other than the one they were encrypted on?

• Moderators

Are the EFS files that are encrypted portable and unencryptable on other machines other than the one they were encrypted on?

No, and if your os dies the data is unusable. I used that on one of my external drives a few years ago. Computer started acting up so I formated and reloaded, only to find out that all the encrypted data on the external drive could no longer be accessed.

axcrypt for individual files as mentioned earlier (it does not have to be installed to "decrypt) cryptainer (free & paid) for part or all of the drive. not trying to sell anything just some ideas. i use axcrypt everyday.

phil

Edited by pecloe

• Moderators

axcrypt for individual files as mentioned earlier (it does not have to be installed to "decrypt) cryptainer (free & paid) for part or all of the drive. not trying to sell anything just some ideas. i use axcrypt everyday.

phil

I checked out the program you suggested, and it looks pretty good. It even has command line arguments that you could use in a script. Its also nice to have the ability to just double click the encrypted file, enter the your password, then it opens in it's normal app.

@big_daddy

once again axcrypt is just my opinion. another added feature is once you enter your password its good for the whole session (if you wish). another reason its open source and that appeals to me (thats why i'm here)

phil

ps i have several emails from the author explaining the command line arguments a little better. if you try it and have questions pm me.

No, and if your os dies the data is unusable. I used that on one of my external drives a few years ago. Computer started acting up so I formated and reloaded, only to find out that all the encrypted data on the external drive could no longer be accessed.

Mostly True, but not all true... Here is the thing if you are running on a domain and you are trying to access these files from any other machine as long as thoes machines are on the domain, that makes the EFS totaly poratable. Secondly, if your OS dies that doesn't mean that you loose all of you files. Two reasons for this... 1. EFS is transparent to other applications execpt for windows. This means if you boot to another OS like barts or knopix then you can transfer the files just fine and while you transfer the files the EFS is not retained. 2. You should export a copy of your key and have it for a back up on some other media some where else. This will ensure if you totaly fubar your machine you still can get to and unlock the EFS with your exported key.

Oh yeah and if you want others to have access to your files you can grant that as well on the EFS....

But like Big Daddy said...EFS is not a common practice and isn't practical, but it is free.

[quote] Gilbertson's Law: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.Sandro Alvares: Flaxcrack is please not noob! i can report you is stop stupid. The Post[/quote]I made this: FWD & MD5PWD()

Hi,

I was think about this:

Thanks,

YoseMite

This is industry standard is PGPDisk: http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.html/?pro...&currencies=USD

I've been using TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/) for quite some time now and it appears to do exactly what you want. I actually used AutoIT to create a quick shortcut to allow for safe removal of the encrypted TrueCrypt volume and it works wonders!

It is indeed one of the best free programs.

But there is only 1 snag. From the faq:

Q: Can I use TrueCrypt on Windows if I do not have administrator privileges?

A: Yes, but only after a system administrator installs TrueCrypt on the system.

Therefore for portable us I recommend Dekart Private Disk Light

It's not open source, but you don't need administrator privileges to mount.

It has command line options, so it is scriptable.

Edited by djek