For newbie's , a tut :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Developers

There is a moderator link on the main forum page where you can see who can moderate what forum, but what is it you want to have done ?

As far as language is concerned, this line in dutch doesn't look right either :

Nou heb je een copy-past bot die 280-300 aanslagen per minute hebt ..

do you mean?:

Nou heb je een copy-paste bot die 280-300 aanslagen per minuute hebt heeft ..

:lmao: Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Moderators

Notepad does not run .au3 files. Scite does that.

You mean you've never used Notepad to write AutoIT scripts before? For shame! :lmao:

Why would you use Notepad to write AutoIt scripts, when SciTe has all the proper sytax checking built in, that seems rather senseless and a case of chasing the tale a bit to me.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Same reason people write HTML in notepad.

no, people write html in notepad to avoid extra code written in from WYSIWYG editors, or to trim down excess code. (or because they don't know how to use the editors). none of those really apply to SciTE though, since it doesn't add any code, saves time and typing, and is just as easy to use as notepad.

• Developers

Same reason people write HTML in notepad.

Which is:

- ignorance ?

- stupid ?

- Only editor available at the time?

- other ?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

no, people write html in notepad to avoid extra code written in from WYSIWYG editors, or to trim down excess code. (or because they don't know how to use the editors). none of those really apply to SciTE though, since it doesn't add any code, saves time and typing, and is just as easy to use as notepad.

That's one reason, not the only reason.

Which is:

- ignorance ?

- stupid ?

- other ?

Do you really have to include the deragatory options?

Sometimes people prefer simplicity, sometimes people use it out of a sense of pride (Notepad doesn't hold your hand as you write code), sometimes people find they learn better by making mistakes and solving it on their own, sometimes people just use it because they enjoy using it more. I could go on if you'd like, but I think that's enough for now.

• Developers

That's one reason, not the only reason.

Do you really have to include the deragatory options?

derogatory ?...

I have no issue with people who prefer to use notepad... but it is NOT a smart way of coding scripts in my opinion.

Sometimes people prefer simplicity, sometimes people use it out of a sense of pride (Notepad doesn't hold your hand as you write code), sometimes people find they learn better by making mistakes and solving it on their own, sometimes people just use it because they enjoy using it more. I could go on if you'd like, but I think that's enough for now.

I try to have a common sense approach and none of these reasons sound reasonable to me.

Often the result is that people post questions in the forum about syntax errors which would be so obvious when using a "proper" editor with syntax highlighting ....

... its a free world so use whatever you think is best ... :lmao:

Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

derogatory ?...

I have no issue with people who prefer to use notepad... but it is NOT a smart way of coding scripts in my opinion.

I try to have a common sense approach and none of these reasons sound reasonable to me.

Often the result is that people post questions in the forum about syntax errors which would be so obvious when using a "proper" editor with syntax highlighting ....

... its a free world so use whatever you think is best ... :lmao:

Implying someone is stupid or ignorant because they choose to use Notepad is not exactly friendly. As someone who likes to use notepad sometimes, I take offense.

It's not reasonable to use something because someone likes it? I've personally never had a problem with syntax, and I started learning AutoIT using Notepad before SciTE was released. I find a lot of times people learn things better when they have to try to figure things out on their own (even if they eventually have to ask for help) rather than simply having answeres handed to them. Sometimes I go back to notepad just because I like the clean, no frills approach. There's a much different feeling coding in Notepad versus SciTE. Then there's the fact that the color used to indicate highlighted text during a find/replace is very hard for me to see on my laptop....

Implying someone is stupid or ignorant because they choose to use Notepad is not exactly friendly. As someone who likes to use notepad sometimes, I take offense.

sorry, just my $.02, but since when to opinions have to be friendly? as far as offense, take it, you can have it.

Sometimes I go back to notepad just because I like the clean, no frills approach. There's a much different feeling coding in Notepad versus SciTE. Then there's the fact that the color used to indicate highlighted text during a find/replace is very hard for me to see on my laptop....

SciTE offers the same kind of 'clean' approach, you don't have to use the extra tools like Tidy, .au3 recorder, koda, etc. but they're there if you feel like saving yourself some time. I'm pretty sure you can change the colors if you want to, or even disable syntax highlighting if you wish... That 'different feeling' is probably a combination of frustration and annoyance that comes from wasting time and effort for no good reason.

sorry, just my $.02, but since when to opinions have to be friendly? as far as offense, take it, you can have it.

SciTE offers the same kind of 'clean' approach, you don't have to use the extra tools like Tidy, .au3 recorder, koda, etc. but they're there if you feel like saving yourself some time. I'm pretty sure you can change the colors if you want to, or even disable syntax highlighting if you wish... That 'different feeling' is probably a combination of frustration and annoyance that comes from wasting time and effort for no good reason.

Why are you replying to something I said to JdeB? You really didn't say anything insulting yourself... were you trying to?

And no, SciTE doesn't have the same approach. I'm not talking about extra tools, etc etc. Notepad is a titlebar, a basic menubar, and an empty text field, nothing else. Simplicity.

I don't understand the necesity to defend and insist on the usage of SciTE so strongly. I like to use Notepad sometimes, and I don't have problems with having my time/effort wasted. If you do, that's fine, but where is the need to constantly insist that I'm doing something wrong by using a program I like?

As for changing colors, you can change text colors, but I haven't been able to find a place to change the highlight color. It's a very light blue/gray that is invisible on my laptop unless I tilt the monitor at an 145 degree angle.

Why are you replying to something I said to JdeB? You really didn't say anything insulting yourself... were you trying to?

And no, SciTE doesn't have the same approach. I'm not talking about extra tools, etc etc. Notepad is a titlebar, a basic menubar, and an empty text field, nothing else. Simplicity.

I don't understand the necesity to defend and insist on the usage of SciTE so strongly. I like to use Notepad sometimes, and I don't have problems with having my time/effort wasted. If you do, that's fine, but where is the need to constantly insist that I'm doing something wrong by using a program I like?

As for changing colors, you can change text colors, but I haven't been able to find a place to change the highlight color. It's a very light blue/gray that is invisible on my laptop unless I tilt the monitor at an 145 degree angle.

Okay... I dont believe anyone is trying to push SciTE on you. They were just curious as to the reasoning behind your using Notepad. It is simply this: You dont mind spending the extra time that Notepad could take.

The colors issue I am 100% certain that you can change that. You can use the SciTE Config Editor (created in AutoIt - I think). Or just edit the au3.properties file. (might be one of the others)

I dont believe anyone has tried to offend you. I wouldnt take it so hard. They were saying you were stupid or unreasonable. They were saying from a logical stand point they couldnt see a 'good' reason. Good is a relative word, so your good and their good could be two totally different good's. I wouldnt worry about it or let it step on your toes when such subjects come up. If you would have been in real conversation with these people you would have realized this. I understand on the net its all text, and to better get your point across one must explain themselves explicitly. Some people just dont feel the need to do so, and that doesnt make them right or wrong.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

@Othello:

Why take offense? If you have a legitimate reason, it must fall into JdeB's fourth category. :lmao:

Which is:

- ignorance ?

- stupid ?

- other ?

I had the same highlighting issue (through a terminal session, though).

Try editing SciTE.properties (Options -> Open Local Options File) and add these lines:

selection.back=#335EA8
selection.fore=#FFFFFF

This will give you the same highlight colors as Notepad.

Edit - Spelling ;)

Edited by Skruge

[font="Tahoma"]"Tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties"[/font]

@Othello:

Why take offense? If you have a legitimate reason, it must fall into JdeB's fourth category. :lmao:

I had the same highlighting issue (through a terminal session, though).

Try editing SciTE.properties (Options -> Open Local Options File) and add these lines:

selection.back=#335EA8
selection.fore=#FFFFFF

This will give you the same highlight colors as Notepad.

Edit - Spelling o:)

I take offense because it implies more than it asks.

As for the highlight thing <3 for you! ;)