getting commands from windows

sinbad

i'm want to make some script to have different LAN profiles for notebooks, but this question also has to do with general windows commands i think.

is there a tool that can get the command windows perform when i do tasks such as opening the Network Connection and there selecting certin NIC and performing ALT+Enter on it.

I was thinking of something like Au3Info just that will tell me what command to use in the script.

is it doable at all with AutoIt?

i'm want to make some script to have different LAN profiles for notebooks, but this question also has to do with general windows commands i think.

is there a tool that can get the command windows perform when i do tasks such as opening the Network Connection and there selecting certin NIC and performing ALT+Enter on it.

I was thinking of something like Au3Info just that will tell me what command to use in the script.

if you have scite you can use the scriptwriter to capture the commands you do - and write the script for you

but that would be like running a macro to display everything on screen and do it if you get what i mean

If you mean the GUI network configuration wizard, it is not exactly running "commands". You might want to look at scripting with the NETSH command line tool.

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

thanks for the replies.

@craig.gill , I got Scite, but seems like something I'll need to dig to get it. :lmao:

@PsaltyDS thanks fo rthe link. this for sure will do the current task better. but that's just good for the current one.

it's odd to me that you'll say

If you mean the GUI network configuration wizard, it is not exactly running "commands"

I always thought of windows GUI as simply a GUI for commands. ie, when I click open on network connection I thought i actually run say networks.exe if you know what I mean.

so just to break it down for a n00b like me, is this correct to assume I should use autoit for installers with GUI but for MS every day task I better off with something else such as simple batch scripts?

thanks for the replies.

@craig.gill , I got Scite, but seems like something I'll need to dig to get it. :geek:

@PsaltyDS thanks fo rthe link. this for sure will do the current task better. but that's just good for the current one.

it's odd to me that you'll say

I always thought of windows GUI as simply a GUI for commands. ie, when I click open on network connection I thought i actually run say networks.exe if you know what I mean.

so just to break it down for a n00b like me, is this correct to assume I should use autoit for installers with GUI but for MS every day task I better off with something else such as simple batch scripts?

I'm not a programmer either, but I'll explain what I meant.

The GUIs that come up in native Windows are not just scripts running commands in a hidden back end. One of the things people hate about Windows, and one of the things that makes AutoIT so useful, is that there are so many admin functions that Microsoft intends the admin to ONLY be able to do from a GUI. The executable files in Windows are written in C++ and compiled. Sometimes there are programing interfaces exposed to the user (COM objects and DLLs) but they are often poorly documented or not at all.

The effect of all this is that there is no guarantee you can run anything from the commandline (or AutoIT script) that will automate things you can do manualy in a GUI.

I'm trying to learn a little bit of DLL and COM Object use in AutoIT, but it is still no magic bullet. You keep running up against partial or completely absent documentation... :o

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law