Key Logging... kind of...

Xula

Can anyone tell me how to capture some keys to set variables within a script? Basically what I want is to be able to press a Hotkey, and have it record the key strokes I type--until a hot key is set, or some other rule ends it in the script. The reason being I want to be able to set them without minimizing any open applications.

(Sorry for not making a whole lot of sense...)

I searched the forums, but came up with so many posts--went through about ten pages...most were just unreleated, and others I just didn't understand.

Thanks,

--X

Yes, I read that. I tagged it with that title in hopes of people ignoring it who disagreed with the sort--if this is really limited by that...Geez. I love the program, but man... If you cannot see real applications (beyond a virus or trojan), well you're not a programmer :o [note: no claims as such by myself].

People will make viruses and trojans with or without your help, and those using autoit--well, be realistic...

PS: "Posts on how to check for a few keys being pressed is one thing", precisely what I want.

Edited by Xula

• Moderators

Yes, I read that. I tagged it with that title in hopes of people ignoring it who disagreed with the sort--if this is really limited by that...Geez. I love the program, but man... If you cannot see real applications (beyond a virus or trojan), well you're not a programmer :o [note: no claims as such by myself].

People will make viruses and trojans with or without your help, and those using autoit--well, be realistic...

PS: "Posts on how to check for a few keys being pressed is one thing", precisely what I want.

Jon is the creator of AutoIt, those of us that have been here any period of time respect his 'few' wishes.

And just a note.. a 'real programmer' wouldn't have to ask this type of question.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I know...a real programmer knows, which is why I asked. I read what he said, and I know he's the creator of it (thanks!), but I also quoted a line from him, and I'll do so again:

"Posts on how to check for a few keys being pressed is one thing." -- which is all I want, to be able to set a single variable based on keyboard input. :o

Thanks for the negativity.

• Moderators

I know...a real programmer knows, which is why I asked. I read what he said, and I know he's the creator of it (thanks!), but I also quoted a line from him, and I'll do so again:

"Posts on how to check for a few keys being pressed is one thing." -- which is all I want, to be able to set a single variable based on keyboard input. :o

Thanks for the negativity.

Then read the help file... put 2 and 2 together, 'pressed' maybe _IsPressed()?... sorry for the attitude... but I really didn't like the approach you took with the follow up statement, took as being a bit of a smart ass.

Edit:

I should say you would need the beta help file for that.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I just hate people classifying others--human nature, it seems, since we all do it. Edit: Oh yeah, sorry for being a smartass. :geek: I really did search, and didn't find anything--though I did come up with that _IsPressed, but it is not under Search nor the Index on the AutoIt help file...on version 3.1.1?

Ahh...Just saw your edit before replying (please ignore above)...alrighty, thank you, very much. :o

Edited by Xula