Script to shut MSN

xircon

I am a member of winxphelp group on Yahoo. A guy called Jim wants to stop his kids using MSN at certain times of the day, so very quickly I wrote:

$i = 0

While $i <= 10

$hr=@HOUR

if $hr < 10 then

ProcessClose("msnmsgr.exe")

EndIf

;Sleep 30 Seconds

sleep(30000)

WEnd

not very tidy, but it works. would be grateful of any suggestions to improve. Also how do I hide the tray icon?

thx

Steve

• Moderators

Thanks, Fathers of teenage kids all over the land will be in your debt!!! :geek:

Gawd, is that what I'm going to have to revert to... has the trust from child to parent diminished that much :o

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Gawd, is that what I'm going to have to revert to... has the trust from child to parent diminished that much :o

Yep, I don't have kids, but being a parent is about setting boundarys and rules and if the kid has a PC in their bedroom........................

My 14 year old niece would spend her entire life on MSN if she could, instead of going out drinking and smoking like we did at her age <g>.

Yep, I don't have kids, but being a parent is about setting boundarys and rules and if the kid has a PC in their bedroom........................

My 14 year old niece would spend her entire life on MSN if she could, instead of going out drinking and smoking like we did at her age <g>.

What if you have a smart 14 year old that hits the machine with a:

taskkill /IM AutoIT3.EXE

May want to make sure that the user isn't an administrator of the machine.

[quote] Gilbertson's Law: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.Sandro Alvares: Flaxcrack is please not noob! i can report you is stop stupid. The Post[/quote]I made this: FWD & MD5PWD()

What if you have a smart 14 year old that hits the machine with a:

CODEtaskkill /IM AutoIT3.EXE

May want to make sure that the user isn't an administrator of the machine.

lol, ok thats a point - but most of the 14yr old won't recognize that autoit always kills their msnmsgr

lol, ok thats a point - but most of the 14yr old won't recognize that autoit always kills their msnmsgr

The reason I asked is because I had a question about your script. Is it possible for you to jam the application into memory so that there is technically no process? I'm still learning here hence the reason if my question doesn't sound right.

[quote] Gilbertson's Law: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.Sandro Alvares: Flaxcrack is please not noob! i can report you is stop stupid. The Post[/quote]I made this: FWD & MD5PWD()

and besides, when you compile it, the name of the exe can be whatever you want it to be you could name it to sound system oriented, and you could also look into running it as a service

sc query

sc stop

I'm a very smart 14 year old.

sc query

sc stop

I'm a very smart 14 year old.

So am I.

Why not rename the "msnmsgr.exe" to "msnmsgr.exe.locked" to prevent launching it through the icon (for dumb 14 year olds), change it's gui through ANYGUI, or keep it running but constantly move it off-screen? You could also hide or disable it.

Included with stopping them from running the program in the first place, it could be pretty threatening.

And by the way... You can do anything through cmd.exe if you know how. I'm 14 years old and I'm smart, but that doesn't mean that every 14 year old out there is.

You could also remove the .exe completely, and reinstall it at certain times through FileInstall. :o

Edited by JoshDB
Ha, I haven't been on these forums since... 2006, almost. Behold, my legacy signature:My AutoIt idol is Valuater. You know you love him, too.My Stuff: D&D AGoT Tools Suite