about FileInstall()

eynstyne

FileInstall() seems to always refer to my hard drive. When I take my USB drive with me to an Internet Cafe or something, I can no longer install the bitmap for my splashscreen and my icons. Even when I compile my script to an EXE, it refers back to the FileInstall()

Is it possible to embed a file into an EXE without having its source? I want to make an Installer for my programs.

F@m!ly Guy Fr33k! - Avatar speaks for itself__________________________________________________________________________________________ite quotes... - Is your refrigerator running? If it is, It probably runs like you...very homosexually - Christians don't believe in gravity - Geeze Brian where do you think you are, Payless?- Show me potato Salad!__________________________________________________________________________________________Programs available - Shutdown timer[indent][/indent]

FileInstall() seems to always refer to my hard drive. When I take my USB drive with me to an Internet Cafe or something, I can no longer install the bitmap for my splashscreen and my icons. Even when I compile my script to an EXE, it refers back to the FileInstall()

Is it possible to embed a file into an EXE without having its source? I want to make an Installer for my programs.

are you running a compiled script or an .au3? if you don't compile it, the installed files are not included into the exe because there isn't one. when run uncompiled, the fileinstall just copies the files to their intended destination from their original location. also, i don't think that they even overwrite if the file already exists.

So I should make a copy of my executable and then fileinstall() to it? :o

I still think it will refer to the file in the executable code rather than embed them

F@m!ly Guy Fr33k! - Avatar speaks for itself__________________________________________________________________________________________ite quotes... - Is your refrigerator running? If it is, It probably runs like you...very homosexually - Christians don't believe in gravity - Geeze Brian where do you think you are, Payless?- Show me potato Salad!__________________________________________________________________________________________Programs available - Shutdown timer[indent][/indent]

So I should make a copy of my executable and then fileinstall() to it? :o

I still think it will refer to the file in the executable code rather than embed them

you're wrong then. sorry, i'm trying to be direct, not rude. fileinstall() includes the file at the specified path of it's first parameter into the packaged executable which is created by compiling. once it is compiled, the reference to that file becomes a reference to the packaged file, not the source file. When the script is executed, it unpacks the stored copy of the file to the desired location (passed as second parameter). The only way that it would then try to access the file at it's original location is if you've explicity called that path later in your code, rather than the destination path. At that point it's not a matter of fileinstall() not doing as expected, but rather a matter of human error.

you're wrong then. sorry, i'm trying to be direct, not rude. fileinstall() includes the file at the specified path of it's first parameter into the packaged executable which is created by compiling. once it is compiled, the reference to that file becomes a reference to the packaged file, not the source file. When the script is executed, it unpacks the stored copy of the file to the desired location (passed as second parameter). The only way that it would then try to access the file at it's original location is if you've explicity called that path later in your code, rather than the destination path. At that point it's not a matter of fileinstall() not doing as expected, but rather a matter of human error.

Ohh... I guess it was just my bad...