Graphical AutoIt Debugger

Stumpii

Anything work fine after uninstall/reinstall the debugger. So, IMHO the issue was caused by something set in config. file when I pressed the RibbonButton.

Work In Progress buttons are really just for my development to test new things, so best not used unless I give instructions on when to use them. Should have disabled them really.

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

Yea, I had the same problem. After trying that RibbonButton under the Work In Progress menu, it pretty much crashed the debugger no matter what I did until I reinstalled and blew away my data files.

Now I reinstalled it and it doesn't crash. But it also doesn't really work. I used to use v19 and that worked great. Now I upgraded and I click RUN, and sometimes it does stuff, and other times it just flickers the screen and does nothing.

It shows an active running copy in the task tray area, but it doesn't load the program or even reach the first breakpoint.

So then I tried v21. But that keeps giving me some error on line 700, "Endif without if". But my code only goes to line 300 and I double checked, there are no mismatches.

Now I'm back to v20 and its working.

Let me know if you need any logs or anything to help.

As with griaco, the WIP is really my sandbox, so best not to use these unless I give instructions.

v0.19 to v0.20 was quite a jump because I switched from an external AutoIt debug creation to a VB debug creation, so there have been some teething problems. Can you uninstall, then delete the C:\Program Files\AutoIt\AutoIt Debugger folder and try one of the builtin test scripts (C:\Program Files\AutoIt\AutoIt Debugger\Test) and see if you can run these. v0.22 has more bugs fixed in the debug creation code to fix some obscure bugs, so it should work okay.

The line 700 is in the debug script (in the debug folder under the script source). If you can send me that script, or your original, I can take a look.

I will be releasing a new version in the next few days, but as it is, there are no changes to the debug creation, just the IDE.

Stumpii

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

Hi,

I noticed some problems if the sourcecode contains national characters like 'ä','ö','ü','ß' ... .

After debugging these chars are permanently replaced by a '?' char.

Best wishes

Paul

Tried the following and get the same result (incorrect result) when using the debugger, or just running the script normally (not through the debugger).

$Temp = "rs like ä ö ü ß"

MsgBox(0, "", $Temp)

Can you send an example script which is not working as expected?

Thanks, Stumpii

Tried the following and get the same result (incorrect result) when using the debugger, or just running the script normally (not through the debugger).

$Temp = "rs like ä ö ü ß"

MsgBox(0, "", $Temp)

Can you send an example script which is not working as expected?

Thanks, Stumpii

Hi,

I found out what's wrong. If the script is codepage encoded, the national chars are replaced with '? chars. If the script is utf-8 encoded everything is fine.

In the attaced zip file are 2 scripts demonstrating the effect.

BTW: These files are created in Scite and the debugger was called from Scite via menu entry.

Best wisches

Paul

TEST.zip

Edited by PaulBaumann

Stumpii,

This program is GREAT! But it has so much more potential too. One thing that gets on my nerve, is the auto complete. I like the menu box that comes up when I type functions in (Like in Scite) but I do not like the autocomplete. I think you should add an option for both.

Stumpii,

This program is GREAT! But it has so much more potential too. One thing that gets on my nerve, is the auto complete. I like the menu box that comes up when I type functions in (Like in Scite) but I do not like the autocomplete. I think you should add an option for both.

I will add the option.

Thx, Stumpii

hi,

so really liked the idea and i did get it working but for some reason when i re=started up my comp the next day it wont.

I load a sample script, click on "debug" run and it asks me to save changes to "? then after i click on any of the buttons it crashes crashes,

i have .net and autoit beta, have also re-installed both autoit and your debugger but i just cant get it to work any more :P

any suggestions would be great

thx.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

JD's Auto Internet Speed Tester

JD's Clip Catch (With Screen Shot Helper)

Projects :- AutoIt - My projects

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. :-D

hi,

so really liked the idea and i did get it working but for some reason when i re=started up my comp the next day it wont.

I load a sample script, click on "debug" run and it asks me to save changes to "? then after i click on any of the buttons it crashes crashes,

i have .net and autoit beta, have also re-installed both autoit and your debugger but i just cant get it to work any more :P

any suggestions would be great

thx.

I have found where the error is generated in the code, but it should never cause a problem, unless the ClassViewer listview control is not created. I can put some extra code in to prevent the error, but I think there be more fundamental issues.

Can you load a test script and let me know if anything is displayed in the ClassViewer window. It should shows variables, etc.

I see you are using a custom Windows theme. Can you switch to the normal Windows theme to see if it makes a different. Maybe there is some incompatibly in the control.

Also, uninstall the debugger and delete the C:\Program Files\AutoIt Debugger folder completely and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

Stumpii

Hi,

I'm new to AutoIt and this debugger, i've got a problem when running it on Windows Vista and Windows 7 if installed on normal c:\program files ...

When changed to install on c:\temp it works just fine. :P I think there might be someting with UAC and "not allowed" to write in the program files directory

Any thoughts on this?

I have found where the error is generated in the code, but it should never cause a problem, unless the ClassViewer listview control is not created. I can put some extra code in to prevent the error, but I think there be more fundamental issues.

Can you load a test script and let me know if anything is displayed in the ClassViewer window. It should shows variables, etc.

I see you are using a custom Windows theme. Can you switch to the normal Windows theme to see if it makes a different. Maybe there is some incompatibly in the control.

Also, uninstall the debugger and delete the C:\Program Files\AutoIt Debugger folder completely and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

Stumpii

hi,

so iv just turned on comp again and loaded the debugger and it wanted to update it`s self so i did, i un-installed the original (btw the un-installer removes the debugger folder by it`s self) and installed the update. it seems to work now thx (and thx for the mention in the update text :P ), but it still leaves me with a question, I tryied to use it on the program im working on atm, i put ";AutoIt_Debugger_Command:Disable_Debug" at the top of my script, set ";AutoIt_Debugger_Command:Enable_Debug" at the part of the script i want to look at and put a break point in just after the enable command so i could step through the little bit im interested in. however when i click on Run it flashes the screen twice and then says at the bottom "script has finished" , the Autoit icon is in the tray and it looks like the script is running but its not. It works on a test script and my script works fine if i click Run script.

prob a stupid mistake by myself but i cant c how.

EDIT: well it`s working now, dont know why, just seems a little temperamental as all i did was load my script after testing with a test script and it went funny as above but i shut down the debugger and reloaded it and it worked but i`v seen it do this before, seems to be something to do with having multiple tabs ie more than 1 script loaded. if i load 1 script it`s ok but if i load another into the next tab it don`t matter which tab im on it always debugs the first one i loaded ?

excellent program keep it up.

thx for your response btw, it`s appreciated :unsure:

p.s. the help section/tab does not work if i click on content index.. or any of the buttons it just wont show the help window? i can load it from its shortcut in the start menu or run it from inside the debugger folder but not from the debugger prog its self just wondered?

edit: whenever im looking at large 2D or bigger arrays it does take a long while to get all the values in said array at each pass, only an observation :D ) maybe it could be made so you can set the area of an array that your interested in so it dont have to load all the values of the entire array each time when an array is part of a loop, or any time really.

Edited by JackDinn

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

Hi thanks for this excellent program just a few observations/questions arising from me using it. Sorry if anything seems stupid but I have come to AutoIt as a non programmer so am not used to how these kind of tools work

1 The screenshot on your web page is missing

2 Are there hot keys assigned that enable you to step into the debugger when running a script? E.g. if your script is running another program in full screen mode. Or do you have to assign a breakpoint?

3 What does the enable from this point and disable from this point do? I assume that no debugging can be done until an enable from is placed in the code but could not see anything added to the script window such as the red dot for a breakpoint? Is this a feature to follow?

4 In the debugger settings there is an option to debug files from the AutoIt include library? I have checked this and see all of the inlcude files being listed in the output window when I run the script to be debugged but when I step through a line in the script that contains a called function from an include file I don't see any of the variables from the included function, should I? How does this option work?

Sorry again if my questions are dumb and this is not the correct place for them, I did try your forum at Foolonthehill forum

but there were no posts etc there.

Edited by Lee Evans

Hi thanks for this excellent program just a few observations/questions arising from me using it. Sorry if anything seems stupid but I have come to AutoIt as a non programmer so am not used to how these kind of tools work

1 The screenshot on your web page is missing

Fixed. Thanks!

2 Are there hot keys assigned that enable you to step into the debugger when running a script? E.g. if your script is running another program in full screen mode. Or do you have to assign a breakpoint?

The following are the current shortcut keys:

F5 Start debugging

F8 Step into

SHIFT+F8 Step over

CTRL+S Save file

CTRL+O Open file

I have added them to the help file. Thanks!

3 What does the enable from this point and disable from this point do? I assume that no debugging can be done until an enable from is placed in the code but could not see anything added to the script window such as the red dot for a breakpoint? Is this a feature to follow?

By default all is debugged, until a disable is found. Debugging will continue when an enable is found. Most users will not need a disable.

4 In the debugger settings there is an option to debug files from the AutoIt include library? I have checked this and see all of the inlcude files being listed in the output window when I run the script to be debugged but when I step through a line in the script that contains a called function from an include file I don't see any of the variables from the included function, should I? How does this option work?

w?

I will take a look and see if it is working okay.

Sorry again if my questions are dumb and this is not the correct place for them, I did try your forum at Foolonthehill forum

but there were no posts etc there.

I accidentally deleted all the posts!

Thanks, Stupmii

Hey Stimpii, as always, excellent work! Just updated last night for the first time in about a month, and I must say, you've made yourself a damn good debugger!

I was wondering, are you were planning on adding support for changing the editor's text size (I've made SciTe's smaller to be able to see more code at the same time), and if you were thinking about adding support for not debugging certain lines, loops, or includes? That would be extremely nice.

Great work, man!

sorry i edited my post above so you may not have read the post after i edited it so iv just re-posted the bit`s that im still interested in your opinion on.

p.s. the help section/tab does not work if i click on content index.. or any of the buttons it just wont show the help window? i can load it from its shortcut in the start menu or run it from inside the debugger folder but not from the debugger prog its self just wondered?

Also whenever im looking at large 2D or bigger arrays it does take a long while to get all the values in said array at each pass, only an observation smile.gif ) maybe it could be made so you can set the area of an array that your interested in so it dont have to load all the values of the entire array each time when an array is part of a loop, or any time really.

many thx for a great prog .

Edited by JackDinn

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

Hey Stimpii, as always, excellent work! Just updated last night for the first time in about a month, and I must say, you've made yourself a damn good debugger!

I was wondering, are you were planning on adding support for changing the editor's text size (I've made SciTe's smaller to be able to see more code at the same time), and if you were thinking about adding support for not debugging certain lines, loops, or includes? That would be extremely nice.

Great work, man!

Thanks!

For the font size, look in the 'au3.xml' in the 'SciTE Lexer' or 'VS Lexer'. You can change the DOCUMENT_DEFAULT style. That should do what you want.

For debugging, refer to the following from the next issue of the help file:

Enable/Disable Debugging

The debugger will normal debug the entire script. There may be portions that you do not want to debug (for example GUI loops).

To disable debugging, enter the following line before the section to be skipped:

;AutoIt_Debugger_Command:Disable_Debug

To enable debugging, enter the following after the last line to be skipped:

;AutoIt_Debugger_Command:Enable_Debug

The lines can also be inserted by right clicking on the script and selecting the appropriate item under the 'Debugging' menu.

To disable debugging of Include files, add the disable debug line at the top of the scrip

sorry i edited my post above so you may not have read the post after i edited it so iv just re-posted the bit`s that im still interested in your opinion on.

Also whenever im looking at large 2D or bigger arrays it does take a long while to get all the values in said array at each pass, only an observation smile.gif ) maybe it could be made so you can set the area of an array that your interested in so it dont have to load all the values of the entire array each time when an array is part of a loop, or any time really.

many thx for a great prog .

Help should be fixed in the latest version. Unlikely to change the operation of the array monitoring, because it is fixed in the debug script when it is written. Maybe able to only send on a change, but it will require some work. I will take a look. You can use Run and breakpoints if you want to skip over sections that use the array. Also is it the data you are interested in? It maybe easier to add a feature that ignores certain variables.

Stumpii

Help should be fixed in the latest version. Unlikely to change the operation of the array monitoring, because it is fixed in the debug script when it is written. Maybe able to only send on a change, but it will require some work. I will take a look. You can use Run and breakpoints if you want to skip over sections that use the array. Also is it the data you are interested in? It maybe easier to add a feature that ignores certain variables.

Stumpii

yea it`s when im looking at these large arrays or more specificity when the arrays are part of what im looking at eg

For $x = 0 To 500
        For $y = 0 To 2
            $xarray[$x][$y] = $garray[$y]
        Next
    Next

say im just wanting to look at $garray[] it would be handy if it didn't have to load $xarray[][] values each time round. you could prob tell me a way that i can do this already but still would be handy if you could choose not to load the values of any particular variable/array.

Excellent prog though, i love it.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

I have 2 suggestions:

For the autocomplete, if there is only one option, show it instead of "Auto Completing" it. For example, when you press v it prints:

VarGetTypeVarGetType

which gets quite aggravating when you use the letter v a lot :P

Also, auto tabbing like sciTE has would be nice.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by =sinister=

I have 2 suggestions:

For the autocomplete, if there is only one option, show it instead of "Auto Completing" it. For example, when you press v it prints:

VarGetTypeVarGetType

which gets quite aggravating when you use the letter v a lot :P

If I could work how to control it, I would! I will take a look.

Also, auto tabbing like sciTE has would be nice.

Keep up the good work!

What do you mean auto tabbing? I try not to use SciTE as much as possible.

Stumpii