I know very little but what I do know has me playing!

My wife is a traveling ultrasound tech and for the past 5 years we have worked in 7 states and 11 different hospitals. While at the University of Wisconson in Madison a fellow traveler gave me an Autoit script to get repeating data into our case logs. I only know how to adjust a script in very minor ways and have had success in updating it as needed. Until now....The new version of our software has added a - between some words on the buttons that I need clicked I have tried to enter as below:

$Ultrasound-ProfileButton =

For the windows button that says Ultrasound-Profile

I get an error because of the - in the name???

I have read several hours of the help file but I can't seem to find the solution. I now humbly throw myself at your mercy...be gentle, it has been a long day.

Thanking you in advance,

Michael

Edited by Selmabody

AutoIt is seeing the - as a subtract symbol, and trying to subtract ProfileButton from the variable $Ultrasound. This obviously isn't going to work. The solution: don't use symbols in variable names.

Just a note: you posted in the Scripts and Scraps forum, which is not a general support forum (as the title clearly states). From now on, please post support-related questions in the support forum.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

An example to show what I mean:

$hello = 2
MsgBox (0, "", $hello-1)
Edited by greenmachine

AutoIt is seeing the - as a subtract symbol, and trying to subtract ProfileButton from the variable $Ultrasound. This obviously isn't going to work. The solution: don't use symbols in variable names.

Just a note: you posted in the Scripts and Scraps forum, which is not a general support forum (as the title clearly states). From now on, please post support-related questions in the support forum.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

An example to show what I mean:

$hello = 2
MsgBox (0, "", $hello-1)
Sorry for the post in the wrong area. After I posted, I then saw the banner big and bold. Can the mod move this to the proper area?

Now, like I said, I do not know much about this but I will always hunt the help files before asking. I guess that I am totally in the dark here. When I needed to edit the script to adjust for program changes I always just changed to the new button name and it's ClassNameNN located with AutoInfo. >>>Control Under The Mouse>>> section. But now that there is a hyphen in the text of the new button name, I get the errors. How can I get around this? I went to the help files and read all on the use of MsgBox but I still can't get this to work around the problem.

At a better time in my life this would be just the thing I would dig into. A few years back I aquired Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. ( RSD) Left untreated, the pain is severe and I cannot move my arms or walk. With medication, I have mobility but my mental capacity is severly retarded. Short term memory is zapped. I am really trying to get a grasp of how I should work around this problem but I cannot seem to follow a process that will lead me to my answer.

I hate to take up your time on what I am sure is elementary scripting but I just can't find my way to the end result. Can you help with a little more direction?

The old variable read:

$Profiles = "Class name here";

$Ultrasound-ProfileButton = "New Class Name Here";

The new button on the program went from Profiles to Ultrasound-Profiles

Please push or kick me into the right direction.

Thanks,

Michael

Just don't include any symbols in variable declarations. In other words, change $Ultrasound-ProfileButton to $UltrasoundProfileButton. You could also add a comment next to the declaration to remind you that it is changed.

In AutoIt, the ; means the start of a comment - there is no "endline" character. So, adding on to your existing line with my single change:

$UltrasoundProfileButton = "New Class Name Here"; changed to Ultrasound-Profile

From the ; to the end of the line will be ignored.