Help please

Zap

Hi, i am new here and was wondering how to do a couple of things with autoit.

What i am currently trying to do is simple, just open Firefox(i got this part) then go to a site and do some clicking in a loop.

Any help is welcome :o

Welcome to the forums...

If you are willing to surf with Firefox as a human and script with IE, then your life might be easier.

Take a look at this post:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14395

It mentions ways to get around within IE.

Does Firefox have COM objects like (but maybe not the same as) IE? If so, shouldn't it be even easier to script for (or write include files for), since it is open source and much better documented?

I am just begining to learn COM object stuff myself, and was just curious.

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Another quesiton, Can I instead of tabbing to the link i want to click on, search for it and then click it?

Yes. A couple of ways. But it is harder to click on a link that might move around. Since you have not told us what you are doing on the website you are clicking on, then it is hard to suggest that best way to go about writing your script. For instance, if you are just wanting to "click" one link over and over - then you may not need Firefox at all... just inetget()

Some scripters have tried to gain points in a game by having a script "click" on a recruiting link only to find out that they also needed to change thier IP address between each "click".... so, what are you attempting to do with your script?

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

There is a Firefox ActiveX control... http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...topic=20450&hl=

But the interface is the same as IE, so It is not going to be any easier than IE. Probably more difficult infact.

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

Why don't they just use 1 term then? Microsoft is making it hard for me....

Because OLE sounds wimpy, ActiveX sounds sexy for VBers and COM sound technical for the C++ers!

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

Because OLE sounds wimpy, ActiveX sounds sexy for VBers and COM sound technical for the C++ers!

Or maybe because they are 3 distinct subjects which are all related and actually just built on top of each other. First comes OLE, then COM (Which are virtually interchangeable anymore) and lastly ActiveX.

Or maybe because they are 3 distinct subjects which are all related and actually just built on top of each other. First comes OLE, then COM (Which are virtually interchangeable anymore) and lastly ActiveX.

I saw the terms ActiveX and COM being used and remembered that Knowledge? Base article entitled

INFO: Difference Between OLE Controls and ActiveX Controls

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159621/en-us

In that article MS states:

Keep in mind that an ActiveX control is just another term for an "OLE Object" or "Component Object Model (COM) Object."

So, ActiveX = "OLE Object" = "Component Object Model (COM) Object"

The next sentence:

A "COM Object" must support the IUnknown interface.

So, maybe COM is not so equal to ActiveX and OLE?

The next sentence:

In addition, all ActiveX controls must be self-registering; as a result, an in-process control must implement and export DllRegisterServer and DllUnregisterServer.

Okay. So, ActiveX = "OLE Object" = "Component Object Model (COM) Object" is either a generalization or OLE and COM must behave the same way... but then why say "In addition"????

But, to answer the question posed in the title of the article MS offers this:

1. Q. What is the difference between an OLE control and an ActiveX control?

A. No difference. "ActiveX control" renames and restructures the OLE controls technology. For marketing reasons, the term OLE has come full circle and once again refers to the OLE technologies that apply to object linking and embedding only. The term "OLE control" has been replaced with the "ActiveX control" to distance the name from the older Object Linking and Embedding technology with which controls have very little in common. No one should use the term "OLE control" anymore.

"For marketing reasons..." - that explains the lack of clarity :-)

My conclusion: Don't rely on MS KB summary docs for education on this topic.

@Zap,

Thanks for the additional info - I'm sure that others can now be of help to you.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

For all intents and purposes, it's a generalization. The original term is OLE but it became COM. The term "OLE Control" became "ActiveX Control". An ActiveX Control is based on a COM object - it has to implement an IUnknown interface which is all that is required for a COM interface. However, an ActiveX Control must also implement one or more other interfaces required by ActiveX Control containers, otherwise it isn't an ActiveX control. ActiveX isn't too far from things like "DCOM" and "COM+" which are just fancy (and confusing) names for a COM object that implements one or more interfaces in addition to IUnknown.

You can safely say that all ActiveX controls are COM objects but you can not say that all COM objects are ActiveX controls - the two terms are not bi-directionally interchangeable. It's best to just think of OLE as being synonymous with COM. In colloquial use, that's close enough to being true.