Is this possible?

strate

Is it possible to create a GUI that has check boxes inside of a edit control? I want to create something that is the same as the FileOpenDialog except that if the user wants to select multiple items instead of holding ctrl they just check the boxes. Maybe this is to ambitious (SP?)

INI TreeViewA bus station is where a bus stops, a train station is where a train stops. Onmy desk I have a work station...

One might raise the question "What's wrong with holding Ctrl?" but there's always a reason I guess. :o At any rate, the most flexible solution would probably be a ListView with the $LVS_EX_CHECKBOXES extended style, but I am a little unclear on exactly how this works so you might need to dig around in the help files (and make liberal use of the ListView UDF collection). As far as I know there isn't any really simple or easy way to just bring up a file selection dialog with checkboxes for each file, so if using Ctrl is only a minor inconvenience then I'd say go with that.

Using ctrl is a pain because clicking on 30 or so files and you mess up one then you have to start over, it sucks. We have over 7500 different files to choose from so its easier to print in lots. I'll look into what has been suggested thanks, I had nothing to go on.

INI TreeViewA bus station is where a bus stops, a train station is where a train stops. Onmy desk I have a work station...

Use a listview with checkboxes?

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

Hmm, I wonder if strate realizes that you can click on a file a second time while holding control and it will deselect the file...

A good point. Also, while you can use horizontal scrollbars with a ListView control, it's only for the purposes of scrolling sideways to view more of the same list item (if the text or columns are too long to fit in the control). You can't get the "look and feel" of a file selection dialog with sideways scrolling to view more files, you'll have to go with a long vertical list of filenames.

Hmm, I wonder if strate realizes that you can click on a file a second time while holding control and it will deselect the file...

greenmachine brought jokes to the topic, lol. Yes I realize that, this idea is to prevent the user from clicking in a area and deselecting everything. Edited by strate

Well nevermind about that whole idea I just tried to create a GUI for this and AutoIt crashed out. I must be hitting a limit considering I'm trying to create roughly 7500 GUICtrlCreateListViewItems

Have a drop down box that filters the list by first char (A, B, C)?

Have a drop down box that filters the list by extension?

Randomly select x% of the total files to show to the user?

Filter by file size? Date?

I think that if you need more help, you will need to give more details on how you select what files you want from the 7500.

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

Have a drop down box that filters the list by first char (A, B, C)?

Have a drop down box that filters the list by extension?

Randomly select x% of the total files to show to the user?

Filter by file size? Date?

I think that if you need more help, you will need to give more details on how you select what files you want from the 7500.

The 7500 files are processes we use here at work to produce product for the customer. The only method we have of choosing the files we print is from our production schedule. I was trying to complete this part before I made it so that it only shows the files that match the ones on the schedule. Now due to this limitation I need to work the other way around. Get the schedule into a format that is readable by autoit then use that to pull the files needed out of the directory.

Well good luck!

Hi,

I may have some ideas here for you too..

Well nevermind about that whole idea I just tried to create a GUI for this and AutoIt crashed out. I must be hitting a limit considering I'm trying to create roughly 7500 GUICtrlCreateListViewItems

If you look at my signature, the last link shows GUI showing only one page at a time of a limitless number of items, using a text file of a directory list.

also SQL_View in the UDF shows an index of C drive with 200,000 files, using SQL; though could have used text files if I didn't want to sort.

Selecting the files, as Stumpi says, I'd need more info.

Best, Randall

PS I haven't tried the check boxes; did you get that to work?

Edited by randallc