Converting Au3 to C++?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really know... lol! :o, I would be cool to have a script written in 2 languages. And im releasing a script I wrote to public and not everyone knows what Autoit is.

i know how u feel... lol, me and S.C.G.R. were working on one... we have'nt really got anywhere yet... but were working on it..

I think C++ is more professional to present when your software is open source....

• Moderators

i know how u feel... lol, me and S.C.G.R. were working on one... we have'nt really got anywhere yet... but were working on it..

I think C++ is more professional to present when your software is open source....

Some how I get the feeling that you either A.) Type just to see your name in places ... Or ... B.) Lack common sense in how you ask/word things. Before you respond... Take a deep breath, read over what you wrote, then look at the Blue Banner that has the name of the forum your in...

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Some how I get the feeling that you either A.) Type just to see your name in places ... Or ... B.) Lack common sense in how you ask/word things. Before you respond... Take a deep breath, read over what you wrote, then look at the Blue Banner that has the name of the forum your in...

Actually he was replying to what I said in my 2nd post, not my first. Since my question has been answered, he was replying to what I said and saying that he was doing something similar. It's not off topic. Edited by =sinister=

• Moderators

Actually he was replying to what I said in my 2nd post, not my first. Since my question has been answered, he was replying to what I said and saying that he was doing something similar. It's not off topic.

Actually, at that point and time, I wasn't concerned to what he was posting too. The 'professionalism' comment was what I was referring too. The presentation of an application is only as professional as the presentor has made it, regardless of the language it was written in.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

actually... take a look at some program that was made in Liberty Basic.. www.libertbasic.com

it loks pretty crappy.

c++ looks alot nicer.

and how often do you see an open source application written in a very simple language?

most of them are in C++ and C#...

and oh yes.... i love to see my name in places.. pfft...

C++ code is more professional then a basic language.

take a microsoft application for example, if they provided a source to one of their programs that the code looked like this:

MsgBox("MyTitle", "MyMessage")

Timer(100, MyFuncion)

[MyFunction]

MsgBox("MyTitle", "MyMessage")

how professional does that exactly look

compared to

MessageBox(NULL, "MyMessage", "MyTitle", MB_OK);

Sleep(100);

MyFunction();

int MyFunction()

{

MessageBox(NULL, "MyMessage", "MyTitle", MB_OK);

}

??????

btw, im not trying to start a fight with u, because i really appreciate all the help u have given me in the past....

and where did this come from, "Take a deep breath, read over what you wrote, then look at the Blue Banner that has the name of the forum your in...". im quite aware of the forum im in.....

Edited by CHRIS95219

c++ looks alot nicer.

Do you think more lines of code are better? Do you think having to put forth more effort to get a task done is better? Do you think what code looks like is more important than what code does?

Language requirements vary per-project but I guarantee you that you will never see the choice of language used on a project be: "This language looks more professional than that language". To even suggest that a language looks more professional than another language is just absolutely absurd. If you truly believe such criteria is important, then you need to stop programming now because you completely missed the point(s) on why multiple languages exist.

Do you think more lines of code are better? Do you think having to put forth more effort to get a task done is better? Do you think what code looks like is more important than what code does?

Language requirements vary per-project but I guarantee you that you will never see the choice of language used on a project be: "This language looks more professional than that language". To even suggest that a language looks more professional than another language is just absolutely absurd. If you truly believe such criteria is important, then you need to stop programming now because you completely missed the point(s) on why multiple languages exist.

omg...

so tell me... ur saying c++ does not look nicer, more organized??? did i say anything about MORE LINES OF CODE?

Why does'nt Microsoft Use AutoIt or Liberty Basic for their Software????

they can do the same thing they do in c++ with a few dll calls... maybe not all functions, but alot.

are u saying that, c++ is not more organized? does not look nicer?

what would u rather people see COME FROM YOUR COMPANY?

A Language that rarely someone will have even HEARD OF IT.

If $a == "Johnny" then

$A = "123"

EndIf

honestly: this one looks kinda sloppy.

or

If (a=="Johnny")

{

MyVar = "123"

}

this one looks more organized

and what i meant by looks alot nicer, was that it is alot more organized....

here is another point...

what looks more professional?

A 'Child's' website that has no color scheme and alot of content

or

A large company's website that has a very good layout, and all the colors go together \with the same amount of content

Edited by CHRIS95219

actually... they would have the same amount of content, because c++ and do everything au3 can do and more.....

i kinda messed up ^ their.

okay, u guys can think that c++ is not more professional then autoit. thats ur opinion.

Edited by CHRIS95219

Oh goody, I so enjoy doing these point-by-point things.

so tell me... ur saying c++ does not look nicer, more organized???

That really depends on how it's written. I really only like reading my C++ code but I can read any. I've seen some code that's damn near unreadable, though, because it doesn't use much whitespace at all and puts as much as possible on a single line. My code I consider readable and organized, code like that I don't. I'm just talking about C++ here. C++ is by default not more readable, some who knows how to write readable code will write readable code no matter what language they use.

did i say anything about MORE LINES OF CODE?

Pretty much anything you want to do is going to require more lines in C++ than it would in a language like AutoIt which is a higher level language.

Why does'nt Microsoft Use AutoIt or Liberty Basic for their Software????

Probably because C\C++ is faster? Or because C#\Visual Basic\VBScript are their own languages? I highly doubt Microsoft's C++ is pretty given they can't even write half-way decent code most of the time.

they can do the same thing they do in c++ with a few dll calls... maybe not all functions, but alot.

This doesn't really have anything to do with it.

are u saying that, c++ is not more organized? does not look nicer?

Not really, no. I don't really give a damn if something is written in C++ or AutoIt as long as it works. If I'm looking at the source, I can probably read either one equally as well. Good formatting will help. However, it's a lot easier to produce nearly unreadable C++ code than it is AutoIt code.

what would u rather people see COME FROM YOUR COMPANY?

Software that works, not software that has pretty source code.

A Language that rarely someone will have even HEARD OF IT.

I don't care if people know what language I write my software in, that's not important.

If $a == "Johnny" then

$A = "123"

EndIf

honestly: this one looks kinda sloppy.

or

If (a=="Johnny")

{

MyVar = "123"

}

this one looks more organized

Look about the same to me.

and what i meant by looks alot nicer, was that it is alot more organized....

This has nothing to do with the language itself and has everything to do with how the author structures things. C++ lends itself to modular design which is often easier to follow but this is a personal preference does not mean that C++ is inherently more organized.

here is another point...

what looks more professional?

A 'Child's' website that has no color scheme and alot of content

or

A large company's website that has a very good layout, and all the colors go together but with little content?

I don't care what a website has on it so long as it has whatever it is I'm at the website for.

And I'm all out of quote boxes (A limit I run into every time I do this, by the way) so I'm done with this post.

okay, u guys can think that c++ is not more professional then autoit. thats ur opinion.

Based on this thread alone, I would never hire you to do any sort of development work. You obviously have some seriously skewed priorities. I make my choice of language based on which language is going to do the best job, not which language is going to look most pretty.

Oh goody, I so enjoy doing these point-by-point things.

That really depends on how it's written. I really only like reading my C++ code but I can read any. I've seen some code that's damn near unreadable, though, because it doesn't use much whitespace at all and puts as much as possible on a single line. My code I consider readable and organized, code like that I don't. I'm just talking about C++ here. C++ is by default not more readable, some who knows how to write readable code will write readable code no matter what language they use.Pretty much anything you want to do is going to require more lines in C++ than it would in a language like AutoIt which is a higher level language.Probably because C\C++ is faster? Or because C#\Visual Basic\VBScript are their own languages? I highly doubt Microsoft's C++ is pretty given they can't even write half-way decent code most of the time.This doesn't really have anything to do with it.Not really, no. I don't really give a damn if something is written in C++ or AutoIt as long as it works. If I'm looking at the source, I can probably read either one equally as well. Good formatting will help. However, it's a lot easier to produce nearly unreadable C++ code than it is AutoIt code.Software that works, not software that has pretty source code.I don't care if people know what language I write my software in, that's not important.Look about the same to me.This has nothing to do with the language itself and has everything to do with how the author structures things. C++ lends itself to modular design which is often easier to follow but this is a personal preference does not mean that C++ is inherently more organized.

I don't care what a website has on it so long as it has whatever it is I'm at the website for.

And I'm all out of quote boxes (A limit I run into every time I do this, by the way) so I'm done with this post.

"I don't care if people know what language I write my software in, that's not important." -

Um... if it is open source(which the whole point is) then it would definately matter.

I agree that AutoIt is very easy to write in... and can do quite a bit...

but you can do more with C++, and how can u not say C++ is more organized?

you HAVE to declare you variable, you HAVE to decalre what kind of variable it is..

is that not being organized???

Based on this thread alone, I would never hire you to do any sort of development work. You obviously have some seriously skewed priorities. I make my choice of language based on which language is going to do the best job, not which language is going to look most pretty.

i know AutoIt is EASIER to use than C++. but it looks very sloppy.

and if i were to get something open source, i would want it to be well organized and be CLEAN CODE!

I would'nt want a '$' before every variable...

im not trying to say anything bad about AutoIt.. im just saying its a little sloppy....

in fact, I LOVE AUTOIT.

But if your gonna do a large project, plan on selling it, the best way to go is C++.... or any language of that sorty, C#, vb....

Edited by CHRIS95219

"I don't care if people know what language I write my software in, that's not important." -

Um... if it is open source(which the whole point is) then it would definately matter.

Not really. You're either going to find people or you're not. The language is irrelevant. In fact, you're less likely to find people to help you if you're trying to use a hammer to tighten a screw. Use the best language for the task at hand that you know, not the language you think has the prettiest source code.

I agree that AutoIt is very easy to write in... and can do quite a bit...

but you can do more with C++, and how can u not say C++ is more organized?

It's very easy for me to say that. As I said, I've read some C++ code that was nearly incomprehensible. The language doesn't produce readable code (Unless you're Python), the author does.

you HAVE to declare you variable, you HAVE to decalre what kind of variable it is..

is that not being organized???

Don't confuse syntax with organization. The two are not related. You have to declare types because it is syntactically invalid not to do that in C++. It's irrelevant to declare types in AutoIt because AutoIt is type-less for the most part or more specifically it uses a Variant type. I always declare my variables with scope in AutoIt so that I enforce good style and eliminate subtle scope-related bugs in my code. I enforce this with "MustDeclareVars" and Au3Check. The keyword is "I", not the language. In general, my C++ code and my AutoIt code follow very similar patterns and should both be quite legible to most people. In general, my C++ code is a bit harder to follow because it is doing more.

alright then....

sry to bother everyone..

sry to piss everyone off... (lol)

sry to waste peoples time..

ur right...

its just that c++ is a more popular language and in turn would be used/preferred rather than a language no one has heard of...

(that is why i said it was more professional)

once again..

sry for bugging u.

Edited by CHRIS95219