Characters not being copied correctly

What is the default font that AI3 uses? I'm getting character substitution. When it reads "» » § « «" it writes "¯ ¯ ® ®"

Any ideas why it might be doing this?

Agreement is not necessary - thinking for one's self is!

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif

What is the default font that AI3 uses? I'm getting character substitution. When it reads "» » § « «" it writes "¯ ¯ ® ®"

Any ideas why it might be doing this?

sounds like you're reading in unicode, and writing out ascii, without any conversion. search forum for unicode and you may find some udf's to help you out.

Actually I'm copying a unicode file to acsii then reading it in to the script. I just figured out the copy process is what's causing the character substitution and not AI3.

I'm heading back to the drawing board.....

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif

Okay, I figured out that I needed to change the code page from 437 (default) to 1252. It seems to have cured my problem with the extended characters.

If anyone is curious about converting UNICODE to ANSI all you need to do is open a cmd (command) box, change the code page to 1252 and then use the TYPE command.

Example:

chcp 1251

type UNICODE.txt > ANSI.txt

Edited by Fossil Rock

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif

Okay, I figured out that I needed to change the code page from 437 (default) to 1252. It seems to have cured my problem with the extended characters.

If anyone is curious about converting UNICODE to ANSI all you need to do is open a cmd (command) box, change the cope page to 1252 and then use the TYPE command.

Example:

chcp 1251

type UNICODE.txt > ANSI.txt

I don't really understand where your UNICODE.txt come from. :">

Your example is not working on a WindowsXP professional/SP2

I don't really understand where your UNICODE.txt come from. :">

Your example is not working on a WindowsXP professional/SP2

The unicode file I'm using is generated from a program. I can't change the output from the source and AI3 can't handle unicode so I change it with this little trick.

A simple example would be to create a txt file and save it as unicode. Put any kind of data in it you want.

To convert from unicode to ansi just use the type command in a cmd box.

TYPE unicode.txt > ansi.txt

If you have a problem with extended characters as I did, you have to change the code page first. I changed mine to 1252.

chcp 1252

Just for the record, I'm using XP Pro (SP2).

Edited by Fossil Rock

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif

Unless you provide the program that generate UNICODE.txt your information cannot be use by readers of the forum.

:o

1) Open notepad

2) fill with any data or open any plain text file with content already in it

3) save file as UNICODE.txt (or any other name you choose) with UNICODE encoding

That's it. It can't be any more simple than that. If readers of this forum are as dense as you make them out to be then they will have no chance (none) whatsoever of figuring out AI3. I give the readers of this forum more credit than you. If I didn't explain in previous messages well enough then that is my fault. But I attempted to keep it as simple as it needed to be. The program that creates the file is irrelevant because any number of programs can output to unicode format (including notepad).

Just follow the 3 very simple steps and you will have a file that will work with what I am trying to accomplish.

I am pretty new to AI3 as are a lot of people on this forum. I don't try to over complicate things and will try to explain the easiest way I know how. I appreciate it when others explain stuff to me because I don't have the experience that a lot of others do.

Oh, and don't assume readers of this forum can or cannot do anything just because you can't.

Edited by Fossil Rock

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif

1) Open notepad

2) fill with any data or open any plain text file with content already in it

3) save file as UNICODE.txt (or any other name you choose) with UNICODE encoding

NOTE: Open the attached graphic if you do not know how to save with unicode encoding.

That's it. It can't be any more simple than that. If readers of this forum are as dense as you make them out to be then they will have no chance (none) whatsoever of figuring out AI3. I give the readers of this forum more credit than you. If I didn't explain in previous messages well enough then that is my fault. But I attempted to keep it as simple as it needed to be. The program that creates the file is irrelevant because any number of programs can output to unicode format (including notepad).

Just follow the 3 very simple steps and you will have a file that will work with what I am trying to accomplish.

I am pretty new to AI3 as are a lot of people on this forum. I don't try to over complicate things and will try to explain the easiest way I know how. I appreciate it when others explain stuff to me because I don't have the experience that a lot of others do.

Oh, and don't assume readers of this forum can or cannot do anything just because you can't.

ok, i think that the reason that jpm was asking about how you created the file was for the purpose of re-creating your issue exactly. kind of a moot point IMHO as you had already resolved your issue, and he was replying to the explanation of your solution, but i don't think he meant to convey any assumption of ineptitude on the part of this forums great community. he was just trying to say that in order to best trouble shoot or re-create any issue, we must be able to duplicate the exact circumstances that resulted in the error. anyway, good work around, i've seen much more involved stuff for changing unicode to ascii.