Server Search?

First off, I'm a complete noob, please be patient.

I would like to copy some files from a share called "inst" on my network's servers.

How can I get a script to find the available servers on a network? The server names are constantly changing so it won't really work for me if I list them within the script.

This would be perfect if it worked:

FileFindFirstFile("\\*\inst\*.*")

But, I obviously can't use the wildcard under the server name, any ideas?

Thanks for any help

J

I would like to copy some files from a share called "inst" on my network's servers.

How can I get a script to find the available servers on a network? The server names are constantly changing

A business environment where the server names are constantly changing???? Sounds bogus. If you don't wnat to hardocde the server list in your script, then read it from an INI file or a registry setting. If your environment is more variable than that, you need to check out careerbuilder.com or are being less than forthright about your intentions.

A "I don't know the server name but I need to suck data from it is certainly one way to define "spyware" ".

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

A business environment where the server names are constantly changing???? Sounds bogus. If you don't wnat to hardocde the server list in your script, then read it from an INI file or a registry setting. If your environment is more variable than that, you need to check out careerbuilder.com or are being less than forthright about your intentions.

A "I don't know the server name but I need to suck data from it is certainly one way to define "spyware" ".

I own a small jukebox operation. These jukeboxes store their history (songs played, type of received, etc) in a database contained within a share called "inst". When something goes wrong with the machine, the computer is brought to my office and the information from the database is extracted. It is then copied onto a new computer which gets taken back to the jukebox so that the machines history is maintained. The server name is always the jukebox's serial number, so it changes everytime a new computer comes in. When I have multiple computers to update, doing it manually can be very time consuming.

Anyone else willing to help?

Thanks again.

Okay, you've got a lot of windows based jukeboxes coming in and going out. Bad ones come back, and get what data is recoverable "extracted" and put on a good one, whereupon they are shipped out again.

Seems like you ought to simply have a list of which serial numbers went where, so you can update it when you complete your operation. You have both machines in front of you, presumably with serial numbers on them...

Do you really need anything more than an inputbox to type in the serial number of where you want the recovered history to go? I believe that you have a legitimate issue to be addressed, but I'm not understanding how enumerating all the shares named inst on your network isgoing to help you.

Edited by flyingboz

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

Okay, you've got a lot of windows based jukeboxes coming in and going out. Bad ones come back, and get what data is recoverable "extracted" and put on a good one, whereupon they are shipped out again.

Seems like you ought to simply have a list of which serial numbers went where, so you can update it when you complete your operation. You have both machines in front of you, presumably with serial numbers on them...

Do you really need anything more than an inputbox to type in the serial number of where you want the recovered history to go? I believe that you have a legitimate issue to be addressed, but I'm not understanding how enumerating all the shares named inst on your network isgoing to help you.

the whole point is automation. if i get a batch of 20 machines that go bad i dont want to have to go to each jukebox to find its serial, go back to my script and input each serial, then wait for the script to finish its job.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just connect all the bad machines to the network and have the script find all the "inst" shares available, with no need for anything to be done manually?

Do you really need anything more than an inputbox to type in the serial number of where you want the recovered history to go?

Once I have the recovered data, telling the script where i want that history to be placed is easy. Recovering the data from the "bad" computer is the problem. Again I dont want to have to input the serial manually for each system i want to recover.

Edited by parkball2