AutoIt does not seem to work with everything

I'm trying to make a few automated installation scripts with Autoit, and I've run into a few programs that I dont seem to be able to control.

For instance, Firefox 1.5.

I have tried everything I could think of. Here is my latest attempt.

Run("Firefox Setup 1.5.0.1.exe")
Sleep(1000)
ControlClick("Firefox Setup", "Finish", 12325)

I normally would do something like:

WinWaitActive("Firefox Setup")
ControlClick("Firefox Setup", "Finish", 12325)

but that did not work either, it just sits there.

It seems to be anything with a high ControlID. I have even tried to use Send("!n") in it, but it deos the same thing. I would appreciate any help.

• Moderators

Try this:

ControlClick("Firefox Setup", "", Button2)

You were actually clicking the finish button without even knowing it! I was able to figure this out with the tool that LxP just provided us with. http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22490

Edited by big_daddy

Thanks, Ill try that, I was able to get it work (not the way that i would like, for it only does default things), but this is what I have.

Sleep(5000)
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{ENTER}")
ControlClick("Software License Agreement", "I &Accept the terms of the License Agreement", 1081)
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{ENTER}")
Sleep(11000)
Send("{SPACE}")
Send("{ENTER}")

• Moderators

This should do the same thing:

ControlClick("Firefox Setup", "", "Button2")
WinWaitActive("Software License Agreement")
ControlClick("Software License Agreement", "", "Button2")
ControlClick("Software License Agreement", "", "Button4")
WinWaitActive("Setup Type")
ControlClick("Setup Type", "", "Button6")
WinWaitActive("Select Components")
ControlClick("Select Components", "", "Button7")
WinWaitActive("Install Complete")
ControlClick("Install Complete", "", "Button1")
ControlClick("Install Complete", "", "Button9")

As i prefer to use 'other, simpler' way which will save you a lot of code i guess :geek:

Open firefox or thunderbird with 7zip or WinRar. Unpack to some dir and edit file config.ini

[General]; Run Mode values:

; Normal - Shows all dialogs. Requires user input.

; Auto - Shows some dialogs, but none requiring user input. It will

; automatically install the product using default values.

; Silent - Show no dialogs at all. It will install product using default

; values.

Run Mode=Normal

U can then use one line: RunWait("Firefox.exe") and woila :o A lot of applications have switches for silent update. You just gotta look for it carefully. Will save you a lot of coding which in my opinion for 'fast deployment' isn't needed. Especially that it's usually language free. I don't mind ppl doing 50 lines just to install program that can be started with /s switch but i prefer to make my way the EASY way. Edited by MadBoy

My little company: Evotec (PL version: Evotec)

I've been looking for the programs that I needed to install that support /s, but most of the ones that I need dont support it, and some of them I have to enter the SN into inorder to install. I basically just gave up on looking for the programs that supported it.

But thanks for the tip.

Well post here what programs you need to enter s/n or switches you need and i might be able to help in that. Preety much i have done a lot of automates myself so i have some experience on that field. You can also try this forum. Preety much as good as AutoIt forum: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php

Edited by MadBoy

My little company: Evotec (PL version: Evotec)

I've been looking for the programs that I needed to install that support /s, but most of the ones that I need dont support it, and some of them I have to enter the SN into inorder to install. I basically just gave up on looking for the programs that supported it.

But thanks for the tip.

You might look at AppDeploy.com, it's basically a database for deploying applications silently and/or preconfigured. The entry for Firefox is here.

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

First what I am trying to do. Being that I seem to install XP once every 5 or so months on either my Laptop or Desktop I have been creating custom install disks without much of the crap that windows installs, and automateing the question part of the install (SN, Passwords, etc..). Now with AutoIt I wanted to also make it auto install most if not all the programs that I normally instantly re-install too.

Here is a list of programs I have an automation for (and seems to work, ones with a * have a SN).

Ad-Aware, Alcohol 120% *, AVG Pro *, DirectX, .NET 2 (seems to hang), FireFox, Nero 6 *, PGP Desktop *, WinRAR *, XP Anti-Spy, ZoneAlarm Pro *.

The ones I am going to be working on. (Ones with a * have a SN)

Advanced Uninstaller *, digestIT, Everest, MSOffice (Word, Excell, Access - Without the annoying paperclip) *, PaintShop X *, PowerDVD *, Registry Mechanic *, Trillian.

And drivers for ATI and Nvidia, and mainboards.

Like I said, the first list everything but .NET and PGP runs and installs without a problem now. (PGP just kept saying could not find the .msi file, but if I test it manualy, ie run the autoit script it works), and during the last VMWare test of it, it was after the .NET program, so it never ran.

For PGP, this is what I have for the run line;

RunWait("msiexec /i PGPDesktop.msi")

For those of you who are intrested in makeing for your own install disk (2k, XP, 2K3) check out nLite

And thanks for the help.