Creating Registry Entries

I've always used INI files for data that needs to be loaded into programs at startup. I'd like to use something else though.

Is the registry okay for this?

After data is already entered into the registry, to change it do I just rewrite to the key?

Where would be an appropriate location in the registry for this type of stuff?

Is everything that would be in the INI ok to be in here? I assume so since the GUI is the only way I want the user to be able to change this stuff.

Tips?

INI TreeViewA bus station is where a bus stops, a train station is where a train stops. Onmy desk I have a work station...

I've always used INI files for data that needs to be loaded into programs at startup. I'd like to use something else though.

Is the registry okay for this?

After data is already entered into the registry, to change it do I just rewrite to the key?

Where would be an appropriate location in the registry for this type of stuff?

Is everything that would be in the INI ok to be in here? I assume so since the GUI is the only way I want the user to be able to change this stuff.

Tips?

HI,

what kind of information do you want to store in the reg? I think, many people wouldn´t appreciate it, saving data in the registry.

If you can avoid it, I would do so.

If you have a software/program (install) than you might want to save information like version, serial, etc. in the reg. The should be ok.

So, :o I think it depends on the amount and kind of data you wanna save.

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

This is a program for at work that logs what the user does when certain windows are active. Due to this and the quality policies that will be in place and reliant upon it, it needs to be setup so that the common user is unable to change any of the settings. This is why I was thinking either the registry or a prior post of mine, zip folder with password protection.

Some of the settings are paths for items such as the log, screen shots, usage data, usernames and passwords. Most would be okay in a INI but I need it so the user cannot intefer with the settings that are changeable. The Quality Engineer is the only one who will have access to the "server" GUI making these changes then possible.

INI TreeViewA bus station is where a bus stops, a train station is where a train stops. Onmy desk I have a work station...

This is a program for at work that logs what the user does when certain windows are active. Due to this and the quality policies that will be in place and reliant upon it, it needs to be setup so that the common user is unable to change any of the settings. This is why I was thinking either the registry or a prior post of mine, zip folder with password protection.

Some of the settings are paths for items such as the log, screen shots, usage data, usernames and passwords. Most would be okay in a INI but I need it so the user cannot intefer with the settings that are changeable. The Quality Engineer is the only one who will have access to the "server" GUI making these changes then possible.

HI,

you can save the settings in an *.ini encrypted with _StringEncrypt(). That should be enough for most of the normal users.

Another idea would be opening a share with specific credentials(username/password) and save the data on a server the user cannot access.

You can create a zipFolder() with Autoit, but I don´t know whether you can set a password on it.

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times