Error: Unable to execute upx.exe to compress stub file

I am new to this, but have an AutoIT script that had been compiling just fine (AutoIt v3.1.1). Today, I made a minor change to the script and got the above error when I tried to convert it to EXE. I have uninstalled and re-installed AutoIt, and get the same error.

On a second machine with AutoIT installed, the script compiles OK.

What might be wrong on my main machine? Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks.

Peter Smick

Welcome Peter Smick

What is the error that you receive?

Errr, probably the one in the topic title?

Peter, make sure there is a copy of upx.exe in the same folder as AutoItSC.bin and Aut2Exe.exe.

Edit: And perhaps make sure it's a valid application (It's a console application).

Edited by Valik

Yeah, sorry about using the Subject line that way, I should have repeated it in the text. The error is "Unable to execute upx.exe to compress stub file."

Anyway, UPX.EXE is where it should be and it seems to be a valid file--I get the usage/syntax info when I run UPX straight from the command line--I assume that means it's valid.

Other thoughts?

Thanks again.

Peter.

Edited by Peter Smick

• Developers

Other thoughts?

Is your AV software detecting false positives ?

What is the size of AutoItSC.bin , aut2exe and upx.exe ?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Well, you know what? The problem seems to have gone away. I just tried it again and it worked. So maybe it was just some underdone potato. The script being compiled creates something of a TSR, and it may have been that the destination file was still running in memory even though I had killed it in the Task Manager. We live and learn.

Thanks for such fast responses.