Ability to dump script file from compiled EXE?

I spoke briefly with a consultant last week that uses another scripting tool for his scripts (WinBatch). He was telling me that he set sets up an "escape hatch" on all his complied scripts so that if he loses the source code he can still get it back. He said that if he creates a file on the root of C: called iminbigtrouble.txt and then runs his EXE that it will dump the source code into that file so that he can get back to (evidentally Winbatch scripts are nearly impossible to decompile?). I don't really know the guy that well and I'm a little sceptical that he was perhaps just blowing smoke.

But I thought this was a cool idea and wondered if anyone else had thought of this or is doing this, or is it even possible in AutoIT?

I spoke briefly with a consultant last week that uses another scripting tool for his scripts (WinBatch). He was telling me that he set sets up an "escape hatch" on all his complied scripts so that if he loses the source code he can still get it back. He said that if he creates a file on the root of C: called iminbigtrouble.txt and then runs his EXE that it will dump the source code into that file so that he can get back to (evidentally Winbatch scripts are nearly impossible to decompile?). I don't really know the guy that well and I'm a little sceptical that he was perhaps just blowing smoke.

But I thought this was a cool idea and wondered if anyone else had thought of this or is doing this, or is it even possible in AutoIT?

You could always FileInstall a copy of your script into itself that only installs if a certain criteria is met.

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

Well, probably not the best idea, but you could include the .au3 file and then compile, and if used with a command line arg like

myexe.exe mypasswordcommand

it would fileinstall to c:

--just a thought

~cdkid

edit:

too slow again!

oh well, i said more than bigdod :o

Edited by cdkid
AutoIt Console written in C#. Write au3 code right at the console :D_FileWriteToLineWrite to a specific line in a file.My UDF Libraries: MySQL UDF Library version 1.6 MySQL Database UDF's for AutoItI have stopped updating the MySQL thread above, all future updates will be on my SVN. The svn location is:kan2.sytes.net/publicsvn/mysqlnote: This will still be available, but due to my new job, and school hours, am no longer developing this udf.My business: www.hirethebrain.com Hire The Brain HireTheBrain.com Computer Consulting, Design, Assembly and RepairOh no! I've commited Scriptocide!

in my "Autoit Wrappers" post you can find many helpful additions to your script

here is one like you were looking for

; Command Line decompile to desktop
; Author Skruge

If $CMDLine[0] > 0 Then
      If $CMDLine[1] = "/decompile" Then GetSource()
  EndIf

; Main Code Here

Func GetSource()
      FileInstall("MyScript.au3", @DesktopDir &  "\")
      Exit
  EndFunc;==>GetSource

8)

NEWHeader1.png

• 3 years later...
  • Developers

An escape hatch sounds like a great idea now that I've lost some hard to duplicate code. I wish I had thought to do this.

When will EXE2AU3 support v3.3.0.0 code? Is an update in the works?

Never.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)