setting variables with string names

Well, I want to be able to set variables depending on a string representing their name...

What Iwant to is is for the user to input a variable name such as "hi", then the variable $hi will be created and set to a specific value (lets say "hello" in this case).

How would I go about doing this?

Edited by theguy0000

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

Well, I want to be able to set variables depending on a string representing their name...

I think you want this:

dim $Hi
$a_input = InputBox("", "", "Hi")
If $a_input <> "" Then
    assign(eval("a_input"),"hello")
      MsgBox(0, "", $Hi)
EndIf
Edited by jefhal
...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

hmm...what on earth is the point of eval? Why use Eval ('foo') when you can just use $foo?

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

hmm...what on earth is the point of eval? Why use Eval ('foo') when you can just use $foo?

You can find an example of this being done here in my first UDF (with help from Sven).

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Why use

Assign('foo', 'Test')
, when you can use
$foo = 'Test'
? :o
Try these examples and substitute your idea with what's there. You will see the subtle difference. You are not assigning $foo = "test", you are assigning the contents of $foo to a new variable of that name to be equal to "test". Look at the last statement in my code snippet. I show $Hi, not $a_input. Big difference, but requires a specific need to be of use. We thought your question reflected that special need...
...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

• Moderators

I think you want this:

dim $Hi
$a_input = InputBox("", "", "Hi")
If $a_input <> "" Then
    assign(eval("a_input"),"hello")
      MsgBox(0, "", $Hi)
EndIf
This would not work if you didn't know what the user was going to enter. My example will work even if the user enter something other than "Hi".

@jefhal:

:o I don't get your point.

I know what assign() and eval() are for.

My previous post was an answer to a post of theguy0000, who wrote:

Why use Eval ('foo') when you can just use $foo?

To answer his question I changed it to a question of which he knows the answer. Edited by freanir

freanir

This would not work if you didn't know what the user was going to enter. My example will work even if the user enter something other than "Hi".

Good point big_daddy, but what would be the point of going to all that extra work of using assign and eval if he won't know the names of the variables in either case? I guess we'd have to ask theguy. It seems like it would be just as easy to assign variable names $1 $2 $3 .... as people enter their unique values.

I know what you mean, though, as I had to declare $Hi before I used it! Hard thing to do if you don't know what it's going to be!

:o:geek:

Why use

Assign('foo', 'Test')
, when you can use
$foo = 'Test'
? :o
oh lol. I get it, thanks.