repeated called to Run... $STDOUT_CHILD+$STDERR_CHILD fail

I have got into using this quite extensively. However some calls fail and some succeed. This is in a For...Next loop so it is unlikely to be a syntax error on my side. Also I have trapped the failure on a variety of other calls.

Essentially the first one or two calls to the RUN function when $STDOUT_CHILD etc is specified works fine, and mostly the second one works. But the third, or 4th become dodgy.

At one point I thought I had this down to every alternate call would fail, but it is not that simple.

I was musing that there might be a race condition, such that my code:

$Pid=Run($Cmd,$Dir,$Flag,$STDERR_CHILD+$STDOUT_CHILD)
    While True
        $OutText=StdoutRead($Pid)
        If @error=-1 Then ExitLoop
        $OutTextAll &= $OutText
    WEnd
    While True
        $ErrText=StderrRead($Pid)
        $ErrTextAll &= $ErrText
    WEnd
might fail because Run is an independent process.

Further exhaustive tests show that there is a real runtime problem here. I have tried using processclosewait() on my PID, to no avail. Has anyone any insights? Right now I have put a loop saying "have I retrieved the data (since I knowit exists), if not then re-run the RUN command and get the output again! Not ideal obviously.

Andy

Edited by andyswarbs

Thanks for the bug report, but I'm not certain that I understand the issue that's being reported. You're reporting that in the cases that you're seeing the problem (making multiple calls to Run with the flags set to capture STDOUT and STDERR) that the call to Run fails and the script halts with an error? Or the script freezes? Or there's no output? It's difficult to understand without a complete script that demonstrates the error.

Are you making making multiple calls to the same EXE and/or the same command line? What version of the beta are you using? Is the behavior the same if the script is compiled? On what version(s) of Windows does the error appear? Can you make a script that uses common Windows EXEs that demonstrates the problem? Could you share some of the details of your exhaustive testing? :o

I was able to run this test script both compiled and not compiled on Win XP SP2 with the AutoIt3 beta 3.1.1.107 with no observed problems:

Dim $OutTextAll, $ErrTextAll
$STDERR_CHILD = 4
$STDOUT_CHILD = 2

For $step = 1 to 4
    Select
        Case $step = 1
            $Cmd = @SystemDir & "\java.exe -verbose tootles noodles"
            $Dir = @SystemDir
        Case $step = 2
            $Cmd = @ComSpec & " /c dir c:\bugjaw.baby"
            $Dir = "c:\"
        Case $step = 3
            $Cmd = @SystemDir & "\netsh.exe dump"
            $Dir = @SystemDir
        Case $step = 4
            $Cmd = @SystemDir & "\makecab.exe /v3 c:\bugjaw.baby c:\qwerty\uiop\bugjaw.cab"
            $Dir = @SystemDir
    EndSelect
    For $iter = 1 to 10
        $OutTextAll = ""
        $ErrTextAll = ""
        $Pid=Run($Cmd,$Dir,@SW_HIDE,$STDERR_CHILD+$STDOUT_CHILD)
        While True
            $OutText=StdoutRead($Pid)
            $OutTextAll &= $OutText
        WEnd
        While True
            $ErrText=StderrRead($Pid)
            $ErrTextAll &= $ErrText
        WEnd
        MsgBox(0, "STDOUT was:", $OutTextAll)
        MsgBox(0, "STDERR was:", $ErrTextAll)
    Next
Next

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

• 3 weeks later...