McAfee virus detection

Hi,

Since the update of Mcafee on 3 March 2006 all my executables that I did create with AutoIt are detected as a virus/Joke. Is anyone else has this problem and what can I do about it?

regards,

Emile

Hi,

Since the update of Mcafee on 3 March 2006 all my executables that I did create with AutoIt are detected as a virus/Joke. Is anyone else has this problem and what can I do about it?

regards,

Emile

write Mcafee about it. ANd tell them to change their attitude towards autoit. Only way i guess. If you search for 'antivirus' in this forum you will get lots of posts like that.

My little company: Evotec (PL version: Evotec)

Hi,

regards,

Emile

I agree with MadBoy you should write to McAfee.

I was just curious to understand with which version of AutoIt the executables were produced. :o

Hi,

regards,

Emile

Post an example so we can check to see if other virus scanners also note it as a virus.

Thanx for all the answers. The problem is fixed for now, by getting a new update of McAfee or the newest beta version of AutoIT. I updated both the programs at the same time, so I am not sure which one is responsible for it. Hopefully it stays like this. I only lost all backup executables, but i can still compile them with the newest AutoIt version if I need them.

Hi,

regards,

Emile

Yep, I get that even with some of my .au3 files.

[quote] Gilbertson's Law: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.Sandro Alvares: Flaxcrack is please not noob! i can report you is stop stupid. The Post[/quote]I made this: FWD & MD5PWD()

when you say .au3 you mean compiled .au3 !!!

I cannot understand and antivirus detecting a virus in a pure text file.

Nope...just on the .au3 file itself. The next time McAfee picks it up i'll paste the message in here.

[quote] Gilbertson's Law: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.Sandro Alvares: Flaxcrack is please not noob! i can report you is stop stupid. The Post[/quote]I made this: FWD & MD5PWD()

try saving this as a text file.. your av should pick it up..

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Exactly what I was thinking :)http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Anyway, it seems that Friday was a particularly bad day for McAfee virus definitions. :mellow:

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

Norton antivirus picks that up as EICAR TEST STRING, why does it think it is a virus?

My Programs:AInstall - Create a standalone installer for your programUnit Converter - Converts Length, Area, Volume, Weight, Temperature and Pressure to different unitsBinary Clock - Hours, minutes and seconds have 10 columns each to display timeAutoIt Editor - Code Editor with Syntax Highlighting.Laserix Editor & Player - Create, Edit and Play Laserix LevelsLyric Syncer - Create and use Synchronised Lyrics.Connect 4 - 2 Player Connect 4 Game (Local or Online!, Formatted Chat!!)MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, Tiger and Whirlpool Hash Finder - Dictionary and Brute Force FindCool Text Client - Create Rendered ImageMy UDF's:GUI Enhance - Enhance your GUIs visually.IDEA File Encryption - Encrypt and decrypt files easily! File Rename - Rename files easilyRC4 Text Encryption - Encrypt text using the RC4 AlgorithmPrime Number - Check if a number is primeString Remove - remove lots of strings at onceProgress Bar - made easySound UDF - Play, Pause, Resume, Seek and Stop.

Post an example so we can check to see if other virus scanners also note it as a virus.

AVG also returns with a virus report for autoit, however not just on what I have compiled but also for the autoit executable itself. I actually had to turn off autoprotect to get it to stop poping up warning messages on my server. I thought it was a bad install of AVG professional guess not eh?

Also after reading these posts I installed autoit on my norton corp edition protected server, and it also says it's a virus BUT windowsonecare and ms defender do not, and Avast! doesn't either. with norton I just created an exclusion, and wrote AVG about it not being a virus and the fact that thier exclusion doesn't stop the stupid popup warnings every 5 seconds.

`Mitch

AVG also returns with a virus report for autoit, however not just on what I have compiled but also for the autoit executable itself. I actually had to turn off autoprotect to get it to stop poping up warning messages on my server. I thought it was a bad install of AVG professional guess not eh?

Also after reading these posts I installed autoit on my norton corp edition protected server, and it also says it's a virus BUT windowsonecare and ms defender do not, and Avast! doesn't either. with norton I just created an exclusion, and wrote AVG about it not being a virus and the fact that thier exclusion doesn't stop the stupid popup warnings every 5 seconds.

`Mitch

I can agree an antivirus can give in this specific case a lase alarm if your machine is not infected on the autoit executable or a compiled script which is build from the same code.

But giving and alarm on an script itself (.au3) which is a text file is beyond my comprehension except this test file that Mc Afee distribute to check if their code is detecting something.

As usual I have no answer of which version of autoit produce this 'false" alarm.

The best is to forward your file to your antivirus provider and have them correct their detectection algorithm/signature.

These false positives are positively annoying.

Could we make a common thread, title it "My anti-virus just called AutoIT badware" or something similar, sticky it, and move all these posts that keep cropping up on a daily/weekly basis into them? This would be an ongoing, long and sad reflection on the quality of anti-virus signature algorithms. Noobies could (possibly) see it before starting their own thread.

I've had widely deployed compiled scripts disappear overnight on more than one occasion - one of the hazards of using a popular product that has too much power I suppose. Where anti-virus vendors are lazy to differentiate between valid nasties and the common non-infested runtime, having a common thread will document that on an ongoing basis.

(Could be worse - it could be McAfee reporting and deleting Excel.exe like happened last Friday I suppose)