Download.com

Jon

• Administrators

I have trouble remembering, but it's something like:

Hmmm.

When I joined my first ISP in 1993 you could choose your hostname to prefix the isp name of "demon.co.uk". I was on the phone to the company (before online ordering came around...) and every name I tried was already taken, after about 20 attempts my brain fried and I paniced and just came out with "hidden" as in "hidden demon" and that seemed "cool".

AutoIt was available on www.hidden.demon.co.uk for about a year but the download traffic was getting me in trouble (it was "free" webspace that came with the dialin account) so I need to buy some dedicated hosting. AutoIt.com was already taken and at the time I intended to program some other utils too so I wanted a generic name. JonSoft or any combination was "gay" :D

I couldn't think of anything else so just carried on with the "hidden" motif. Possibly misjudged in hindsight with the "naughty" use of AutoIt :iamstupid:

The history lesson endeth.

• Administrators

I noticed that I had a couple of free domain registrations for my hosting plan so I've registered autoit3.com and autoitscript.com to point to http://www.hiddensoft.com/autoit3/

• 8 months later...

haha, i cracked up when i saw sykes and larry made 3 accounts (and more :) )... ill make a few of em too... just when i get a few minutes :lmao: but are you going to update the .EXE file on there when the Official Autoit 3.0.103 (or w/e) comes out... but im making a review right now o:)

FootbaG

...and every name I tried was already taken, after about 20 attempts my brain fried and I paniced and just came out with "hidden" as in "hidden demon" and that seemed "cool".

<snip>

The history lesson endeth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know this is old, but couldn't resist. :lmao: I always like hearing the stories behind the names. Thanks for the history lesson!
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo"I came to realize that life lived to help others is the only one that matters. This is my highest and best use as a human." -- Ben Stein