FBSL - a brand new code editor

Gerome

Hello,

A newest code editor version entirely made with Fbsl 3.20!

No external dependencies!

No extra DLL but the system ones! :)

Many options : indentation guides, compiler, decompiler, skin editor, ...

Any screenshot ?

Posted Image

Yours,(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN] [Freestyle Basic Script Language Author]·._.·´¯):: Full SETUP w. HELP ::FBSL official web siteA keyboard is infinitely better as a programming tool than a toaster...

Hello,

A newest code editor version entirely made with Fbsl 3.20!

No external dependencies!

No extra DLL but the system ones! :)

Many options : indentation guides, compiler, decompiler, skin editor, ...

Any screenshot ?

http://gedd123.free.fr/Fbsl/ucb_400.gif

I'm trying to figure this out.. :mellow:

FSBL looks cool

do you provide source?

Edited by slightly_abnormal

Nice update Gerome!

I'm following FBSL development with great interest.

:) Let me use this opportunity to give some feedback

While it has many things which are not supported by AutoIt (like classes), I've found it generally requires more lines and more low level API manipulation to write a GUI program. This is not really a issue, but makes the learning curve a little steep.

Also, I've seen that code security is also a problem with FBSL. While it is a free language to program, providing secure compiling routines to generate exe's (which cannot be decompiled) would be a nice feature.

Overall, I like the choice of programming in alternative languages which are easier to write than C++ and are free of external dependencies.

Keep up the good work!

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words :)

Fbsl classes are not yet totally implemented, I mean overloading, inherit and instanciantion... :mellow:

When Classes are ready, it'll be simply for everyone to make our own libraries, subclassing any API or events will be easier than ever! :)

Actually you can do tons of things, no limits were actually encountered since 3.20 version : you can use on the fly : API, COM, and ASM!

You can create your proper functions, and even creating functions on the fly!

You can tell Fbsl to execute a buffer of code and getting its return code if you want!

The editor represents a great part that Fbsl capacities offers.

'Secure' compiling routines to generate exe's (which cannot be decompiled) is not yet implemented because it's an actual choice, this avoids having script kiddies EXE's distributed over the net, if some kiddies make a trojan using Fbsl as an executable, it'll be then easier to find and cure that disease rather than with a cryptical one... it's my vision of security with that actual exe thing :o

Enjoy Fbsl!

Yours,(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN] [Freestyle Basic Script Language Author]·._.·´¯):: Full SETUP w. HELP ::FBSL official web siteA keyboard is infinitely better as a programming tool than a toaster...

• 2 weeks later...

IS er ook een syntaxt highlighting file for this editor

Ja er is een syntax highlighting function

Features:

Syntax Highlighting

Line Numbering

Bookmarks

Find/Replace

Run scripts

Compile a script to GUI

Compile a script to Console

Compile a script to CGI

Run an FBSL compiled script

Decompile an FBSL compiled script

Export to Html

Edited by Mosquitos

Sapiente vince, rex, noli vincere ferro!

'Secure' compiling routines to generate exe's (which cannot be decompiled) is not yet implemented because it's an actual choice, this avoids having script kiddies EXE's distributed over the net, if some kiddies make a trojan using Fbsl as an executable, it'll be then easier to find and cure that disease rather than with a cryptical one... it's my vision of security with that actual exe thing

Sorry, but I just had to state an opinion about this.

Gerome, this "lack of security" also has a flip side. Many legit people will not want to use your wonderful scripting language because there is NO way that they can secure code that might have vital, sensitive, important, etc... company information. Anybody could just come along and decompile a FBSL .exe and do whatever they want. This concept of "no secure compiling" is like a "huge back door".

This also relates to the issue that FBSL can not be used commercially. With AutoIt, there is at least the possibility that if the user sticks with the language long enough that he can make some useful apps and sell them. I think this "hope" allows users to feel secure that they can STAY with AutoIt, and will not be forced to learn other languages for commercial development (though different languages are right for different tasks). At the very least, the user knows he/she can secure their scripts from others copying them or protect personal information.

Another point is that "script kiddies" can use JScript, VBscript (and yes there are programs that allow you to compile them into .exes, ( exescript- http://www.hide-folder.com/overview/hf_7.html or VBS2EXE- http://www.enkeladress.com/vbs2exe.htm )). They can use Python, Perl, Ruby, Euphoria, AutoIt, etc... There are already so many options for script kiddies to choose from. I'm quite sure that there are very, very few script kiddies that feel "deprived" or sad that they can't use FBSL, when they have so many other options.

FBSL is a great language and you can do great things with, but somehow it seems that its "hurting" itself at the same time and has fewer users than it could/should. Sorry, just my opinion.

Anyway, great editor.

Edited by autoitNOW
An ADVOCATE for AutoIT

hi Gerome,

You seem to be promoting your own scripting language (FBSL) on a forum devoted to AutoIt3.

As best I can tell, except for the lack of class code in AutoIt3, the two languages are pretty much fuctionally equivalent.

Could you take some time and comment on the following?

1. What was your motivation in writing FBSL. Were you looking for something different? Did you hope to surpass AutoIt3?

2. Why would somebody want to switch from AutoIt3 to FBSL?

3. What do YOU think are the advantages of FBSL vis-a-vis AutoIt3?

4. What are your plans for the future, if any? That is, where do you plan to take future development of FBSL?

cheers, jw

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Sorry, but I just had to state an opinion about this.

Gerome, this "lack of security" also has a flip side. Many legit people will not want to use your wonderful scripting language because there is NO way that they can secure code that might have vital, sensitive, important, etc... company information. Anybody could just come along and decompile a FBSL .exe and do whatever they want. This concept of "no secure compiling" is like a "huge back door".

This also relates to the issue that FBSL can not be used commercially. With AutoIt, there is at least the possibility that if the user sticks with the language long enough that he can make some useful apps and sell them. I think this "hope" allows users to feel secure that they can STAY with AutoIt, and will not be forced to learn other languages for commercial development (though different languages are right for different tasks). At the very least, the user knows he/she can secure their scripts from others copying them or protect personal information.

Another point is that "script kiddies" can use JScript, VBscript (and yes there are programs that allow you to compile them into .exes, ( exescript- http://www.hide-folder.com/overview/hf_7.html or VBS2EXE- http://www.enkeladress.com/vbs2exe.htm )). They can use Python, Perl, Ruby, Euphoria, AutoIt, etc... There are already so many options for script kiddies to choose from. I'm quite sure that there are very, very few script kiddies that feel "deprived" or sad that they can't use FBSL, when they have so many other options.

FBSL is a great language and you can do great things with, but somehow it seems that its "hurting" itself at the same time and has fewer users than it could/should. Sorry, just my opinion.

Anyway, great editor.

Sorry, i can't agree with your opinion since the purpose of the actual FBSL version is to provide an easy way to revert an EXE to a source, because of the definition of the Fbsl license, that you seemed to have forgotten!

I can't accept your vision of things since they are explained and documented into the Help file.

Fbsl purpose has its original sides, the apparent 'defects' you seem to point out are not defects but implementations.

Onto our commercial version, the end user can really do anti-hacking things and more, but i just reiterate : please read the license file... :)

Have fun!

Edited by Gerome

• 5 months later...

Hello,

A little checkpoint regarding my Code editor + RAD.

Just have a look at the incoming version :

Posted Image

For more informations, you can have a look at http://www.fbsl.net since I've rewritten my index page, it's now clearer and more informative!

Have fun!

Hello Zedna,

Great project ;) . But I will stay with AutoIt3 for now.

I think FBSL can be alternative for those AutoIt3 users who complains here at AutoIt forum about some features which aren't in AutoIt3 and are in FBSL, for example:

- classes

- OOP

- console app

- multithreading

- DLL creating

True, but FBSL is not able to compile as DLL, same for AutoIt :lmao:

The very common point is that the newest FBSL editor will be able to support any other language by simply adding entries to its INI file where are located keywords definitions :evil: