Listbox Default Value...

I think the * method for specifying the default value in a listbox/combo-box is deprecated and needs removed. The reason for this is JP has now provided an actual argument to the GuiSetControlData() function which is also used to specify a default. Now in order to display an asterik in a list/combo, you have to double them up (**), but, this has an undesirable effect of setting the default entry to that asterik. I have a script that both needs to display an asterik in a combo-box and not have a default entry selected, which is currently impossible for me to do (At least I don't know of a way around it).

I hate the idea of killing off an entire character which is somewhat frequently used (Wildcards, for example) just for one little thing.

If removing isn't acceptable, then at least use a less-used character. Tilde (~) comes to mind, however, as I said above, I really hate wasting an entire character just for one thing.

I think the * method for specifying the default value in a listbox/combo-box is deprecated and needs removed.  The reason for this is JP has now provided an actual argument to the GuiSetControlData() function which is also used to specify a default.  Now in order to display an asterik in a list/combo, you have to double them up (**), but, this has an undesirable effect of setting the default entry to that asterik.  I have a script that both needs to display an asterik in a combo-box and not have a default entry selected, which is currently impossible for me to do (At least I don't know of a way around it).

I hate the idea of killing off an entire character which is somewhat frequently used (Wildcards, for example) just for one little thing.

If removing isn't acceptable, then at least use a less-used character.  Tilde (~) comes to mind, however, as I said above, I really hate wasting an entire character just for one thing.

I just map the AU3GUI idea, But it is true that the * can be of trouble the default can be explicit given by the last parameter or set with GuiWrite.

I am prepare to remove for list and combo the * if everybody agree. :D

Edited by jpm

This was an unconveniently to update lists and combos by this way, so I will not to cry about it  :D It was a good in its time, but actual parameter is much clearer.

Do I understand you are Ok for the suppression ot the "*"?