String Split Quetion

My string looks like somthing like this.

example:

$String = xyz,"$1,823",38.34,34 South East Blvd.,Jax, NC, 42789

I am using:

$array = StringSplit($String,",")

$value2 = $array[2]

I should be getting $value2 = "$1,823", but I am getting "$1 . Is there a way to split the string without it splitting it at the comma inside quotes?

Thanks.

STRINGsplit as in it splits at the substring in the string, as in read the helpfile, for it shall set you freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

~cdkid

AutoIt Console written in C#. Write au3 code right at the console :D_FileWriteToLineWrite to a specific line in a file.My UDF Libraries: MySQL UDF Library version 1.6 MySQL Database UDF's for AutoItI have stopped updating the MySQL thread above, all future updates will be on my SVN. The svn location is:kan2.sytes.net/publicsvn/mysqlnote: This will still be available, but due to my new job, and school hours, am no longer developing this udf.My business: www.hirethebrain.com Hire The Brain HireTheBrain.com Computer Consulting, Design, Assembly and RepairOh no! I've commited Scriptocide!

What you're doing... it's not in a string, when you type just

sometext not in quotes it's trying to call a function... try this

$string = 'xyz,"$1,823",38.34,34 South East Blvd.,Jax, NC, 42789'
$string = stringsplit($string, ',')
$m = $string[1] & "," & $string[2]
msgbox(0,'',$m)

should make a msgbox with "$1, 823" as the text.

Seriously, read the help file

~cdkid

AutoIt Console written in C#. Write au3 code right at the console :D_FileWriteToLineWrite to a specific line in a file.My UDF Libraries: MySQL UDF Library version 1.6 MySQL Database UDF's for AutoItI have stopped updating the MySQL thread above, all future updates will be on my SVN. The svn location is:kan2.sytes.net/publicsvn/mysqlnote: This will still be available, but due to my new job, and school hours, am no longer developing this udf.My business: www.hirethebrain.com Hire The Brain HireTheBrain.com Computer Consulting, Design, Assembly and RepairOh no! I've commited Scriptocide!

; untested, so it might off +/- 1 character

$commaPos = StringInStr($string, ",", 0, 2)

$string = StringLeft($commaPos-1, $string) & "@", & StringTrimLeft($commaPos, $string)

$array = StringSplit($String,",")

$array[2] = StringReplace($array[2], "@", ",")

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

What you're doing... it's not in a string, when you type just

sometext not in quotes it's trying to call a function...

Presumably the data is read froma comma-separated-values file. I think if you Import (rather than open) a CSV file in Excel, it doesn't automatically split commas within strings.

Edit: Too slow. I was right though :)

Edited by CyberSlug
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

Presumably the data is read froma comma-separated-values file. I think if you Import (rather than open) a CSV file in Excel, it doesn't automatically split commas within strings.

this feature allows for the embedding of the delimiter character within a field. Not only in excel, but in SQL (Load data infile or outfile, as well as the piping of resultsets from a select statement ).

The original (apparently lazy and somewhat whiny) poster needs to account for this behavior in his code.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

I have nothing to do with how the data is generated in the csv file. I am only working with the output. So all I have to work with are files that may or may not have commas inside of double quotes. I thought there might be a function that escaped the double quotes.

I appreciate those that helped.

try

$a_line = _SplitIt('xyz,"$1,823",38.34,34 South East Blvd.,Jax, NC, 42789')
If IsArray($a_line) Then
    For $x = 1 To $a_line[0]
        ConsoleWrite($a_line[$x] & @LF)
    Next
EndIf

$a_line = _SplitIt('xyz,"$1,823",38.34,34 South East Blvd.,"Jax, NC", 42789')
If IsArray($a_line) Then
    For $x = 1 To $a_line[0]
        ConsoleWrite($a_line[$x] & @LF)
    Next
EndIf

Func _SplitIt($String)
    $q_pos1 = StringInStr($String, '"')
    If $q_pos1 Then
        $q_pos2 = StringInStr($String, '"', 0, 2)
        $before = StringMid($String, 1, $q_pos1 - 2)
        $a_string = StringSplit($before, ',')
        $quoted = StringMid($String, $q_pos1, ($q_pos2 - $q_pos1) + 1)
        $a_string[0] = $a_string[0] + 1
        ReDim $a_string[$a_string[0] + 1]
        $a_string[$a_string[0]] = $quoted
        $a_str2 = _SplitIt(StringMid($String, ($q_pos2 + 2)))
        If IsArray($a_str2) Then
            ReDim $a_string[$a_string[0] + $a_str2[0] + 1]
            For $x = 1 To $a_str2[0]
                $a_string[$a_string[0] + $x] = $a_str2[$x]
            Next
            $a_string[0] = $a_string[0] + $a_str2[0]
            Return $a_string
        EndIf
    Else
        Return StringSplit($String, ",")
    EndIf
EndFunc  ;==>_SplitIt
Edited by gafrost

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

This also works:

If StringRight($String, 1) <> "," Then
    $String &= ","
EndIf
$res = StringRegExp($String, '(".*?",|.*?,)*', 3)

If you want to strip out the comma:

For $i = 0 To UBound($res)-1
    $res[$i] = StringTrimRight($res[$i], 1)
Next

Edit: Added check for trailing comma

Edited by neogia

[u]My UDFs[/u]Coroutine Multithreading UDF LibraryStringRegExp GuideRandom EncryptorArrayToDisplayString"The Brain, expecting disaster, fails to find the obvious solution." -- neogia

• 5 months later...

I found a problem with the SplitIt code, but I am not sure how to fix it. Any help would be much appreciated.

The problem is that if there are consecutive elements in a string that have quotes, the split will not be correct.

Example:

Test,Test,Test,08/21/06,08/18/06,17:27,"CITY, STATE",1,08/22/06,10:30,08/19/06,9:2,Test,,,Test,,1,22.84,,"Last Name, First Name","50th Ave., Apt. 15C",Test,Long Island City,NY,11101,18034,Test,Test,,,

"Last Name, First Name","50th Ave., Apt. 15C" is causing a problem.

Big Thanks in advance for any help!

<code>

Func _SplitIt($String)

$q_pos1 = StringInStr($String, '"')

If $q_pos1 Then

$q_pos2 = StringInStr($String, '"', 0, 2)

$before = StringMid($String, 1, $q_pos1 - 2)

$a_string = StringSplit($before, ',')

$quoted = StringMid($String, $q_pos1, ($q_pos2 - $q_pos1) + 1)

$a_string[0] = $a_string[0] + 1

ReDim $a_string[$a_string[0] + 1]

$a_string[$a_string[0]] = $quoted

$a_str2 = _SplitIt(StringMid($String, ($q_pos2 + 2)))

If IsArray($a_str2) Then

ReDim $a_string[$a_string[0] + $a_str2[0] + 1]

For $x = 1 To $a_str2[0]

$a_string[$a_string[0] + $x] = $a_str2[$x]

Next

$a_string[0] = $a_string[0] + $a_str2[0]

Return $a_string

EndIf

Else

Return StringSplit($String, ",")

EndIf

EndFunc ;==>_SplitIt

</code>

Maybe try the array approach:

#include <Array.au3>

;$a_line = _SplitIt('xyz,"$1,823",38.34,34 South East Blvd.,"Jax, NC", 42789')
$a_line = _SplitIt('Test,Test,Test,08/21/06,08/18/06,17:27,"CITY, STATE",1,08/22/06,10:30,08/19/06,9:2,Test,,,Test,,1,22.84,,"Last Name, First Name","50th Ave., Apt. 15C",Test,Long Island City,NY,11101,18034,Test,Test,,,')
_ArrayDisplay($a_line,"")

Func _SplitIt($string, $deli = ",", $con = '"')
    Dim $adeli[1]
    Dim $ret[1]
    $bcon = False
    $as = StringSplit($string,"")
    For $i = 1 To UBound($as) -1
        If $as[$i] = $deli Then
            If Not $bcon Then _ArrayAdd($adeli,$i)
        ElseIf $as[$i] = $con Then
            $bcon = Not $bcon
        EndIf
    Next
    _ArrayAdd($ret,StringMid($string,0,$adeli[1]-$adeli[0]))
    For $i = 1 To UBound($adeli) -2
        _ArrayAdd($ret,StringMid($string,$adeli[$i]+1,$adeli[$i+1]-$adeli[$i]-1))
    Next
    _ArrayAdd($ret,StringMid($string,$adeli[UBound($adeli)-1]+1,StringLen($string)-$adeli[UBound($adeli)-1]))
    Return $ret
EndFunc

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

Hi XandI,

I'm having the same problem as NSearch and I have tried your array function but I get an error (see attachment). Any ideas?

post-21013-1172257336_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance! :whistle:

This seems to work:
#include <array.au3>

$sString = 'xyz,"$1,823",38.34,34 South East Blvd.,Jax, NC, 42789'
$a = _SplitStr($sString, ',')
_ArrayDisplay($a, '')

Func _SplitStr($sString, $vDelim)
    Local $aDQ = StringRegExp($sString, '".*?"', 3)
    If IsArray($aDQ) = 0 Then Return StringSplit($sString, $vDelim)
    For $iCC = 0 To UBound($aDQ) - 1
        $sString = StringReplace($sString, $aDQ[$iCC], 'SplitStr' & $iCC & 'Hold', 1, 1)
    Next
    Local $aSplit = StringSplit($sString, $vDelim)
    For $iCC = 1 To UBound($aSplit) - 1
        For $xCC = 0 To UBound($aDQ) - 1
            $aSplit[$iCC] = StringReplace($aSplit[$iCC], 'SplitStr' & $xCC & 'Hold', $aDQ[$xCC])
        Next
    Next
    Return $aSplit
EndFunc

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

This splits the string for every "," found, regardless of values being in quotes.

Basically I have a script which migrates users from an NT domain and Exchange 5.5, into an AD 2003 environment, which works great. I have a feature to be able to automatically load various users attributes using LDAP quieries based on thier username, and then export the info to a .csv file. This works fine and will place values with "," inside, in quotes"".

I then have also set up the ability to import the .csv file list back into the form using the original _SplitIt() resolution posted by gafrost (Thank you gafrost!) which has been working fine, typically importing lines like the following;

username,"Last,First",COMPANY,"Last, First COMPANY",first.last@domain.co.uk,first,last,"LDAP://55MAILSVR/cn=username,cn=Recipients,ou=UK,o=DOMAIN",\\HOMESVR\private\first.last,\\HOMESVR\private\username

Array showing;

[0]10

[1]username

[2]"Last,First"

[3]COMPANY

[4]"Last, First COMPANY"

etc.

However we're starting to migrate users with a different description field and the line looks like this;

username,"Last,First","COMPANY,3RDPARTY","Last, First COMPANY",first.last@domain.co.uk,first,last,"LDAP://55MAILSVR/cn=username,cn=Recipients,ou=UK,o=DOMAIN",\\HOMESVR\private\first.last,\\HOMESVR\private\username

Which as you can see exports fine putting the "COMPANY,3RDPARTY" in quotes but when it's importing it, it is splitting the array incorrectly

Array showing;

post-21013-1172584327_thumb.jpg

Which I can't understand as the other strings in quotes work fine. Any ideas???

:whistle::):lol:

This splits the string for every "," found, regardless of values being in quotes.

Try my "_tokenizer": http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=248768. Remember to define the delimiter variables!

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *