Total Bum - Getting info from RunWait() / Run()

I must say i am total bum about this. Been playing with code a bit and all i could get was nothing ;p I saw MHz solution (UDF in scripts & scraps) but couldn't realy make any use of it due to lack of my skills ;p So please help me out on that one.. maybe i'll catch on and will never bother to ask about this again :mellow: What i need to get is output from RunWait($devcon & " remove =Unknown") .. if i will know output from it and it contains string No devices removed. then i will skip few other steps. Or few other variations.. i'm hopeing with some help i can start getting info by myself :) So pls be gentle.

FileInstall("c:\devcon.exe", @TempDir & "devcon.exe")
FileInstall("c:\setdevicepath.exe", @TempDir & "setdevicepath.exe")

Dim $devcon = @TempDir & "devcon.exe"
Dim $setdevicepath = @TempDir & "SetDevicePath.exe"
Dim $drivers = "D:\Drivers"

FindHardware($drivers)
RestoreDefault()

Func FindHardware($path_to_drivers)
    RunWait($setdevicepath & " " & $path_to_drivers)
    RunWait($devcon & " remove =Unknown")
    RunWait($devcon & " rescan")
EndFunc

Func RestoreDefault()
    RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion", "DevicePath", "REG_EXPAND_SZ", "%SystemRoot%\inf")
EndFunc

My little company: Evotec (PL version: Evotec)

If your relating to me about the ExitCode from Run() post, then your code does not show any use of it. One problem that I immediately noticed is that you have missing backslashes in your paths. Good advise for debugging to to add suspect items into a MsgBox or ConsoleWrite to find out what the command looks like at runtime.

This is one of your paths:

MsgBox(0, 'Debug', @TempDir & "devcon.exe")

Notice the missing backslash when you run the MsgBox.

You just need to build your skills alittle more with basic debugging as I have shown to help you advanced yourself into some more advanced uses of AutoIt.

:)

Tnx for the hint with backslash. And you'er also right on that ExitCode.. at the begining i thought it might be the thing i need but it isn't. What i need is some way to read whatever RunWait()/Run() says on screen when it starts the program. Devcon.exe should give some output to dos window.. i need to read it and make use of it. Still looking for a way to do it. I tried to do it this way.. but the msgbox is empty and when the program ends in status window i get actual response of that program.. i'm totally confused here.. :)

>Running AU3Check (1.54.1.1) params: from:C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\beta

+>AU3Check ended.rc:0

>Running:(3.1.1.113):C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\beta\autoit3.exe "I:\Project.AU3\test.au3"

devcon.exe Usage: devcon.exe [-r][-m:\\<machine>] <command> [<arg>...]

For more information type: devcon.exe help

+>AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0

>Exit code: 0 Time: 2.310

$stdout = Run(@ComSpec & " /c c:\devcon.exe", '', @SW_HIDE, 2)
    Global $all
    While 1
        $data = StdoutRead($stdout)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        If $data Then
            $all &= $data
        Else
            Sleep(10)
        EndIf
    WEnd
MsgBox(1, "DUPA", $all)
Edited by MadBoy

Your usage is fine.

You are only using Devcon without parameters, so all you get at a cmd prompt is the startup banner. You do not want that banner stuff, right :mellow: . The startup banner is not quite regarded as STDIO data. You need to set Devcon into use with asking for output on one or more of it's switches.

Try this.

$stdout = Run(@ComSpec & " /c c:\devcon.exe find *", '', @SW_HIDE, 2)
Global $all
While 1
    If @error Then ExitLoop
    If $data Then
        $all &= $data
    Else
        Sleep(10)
    EndIf
WEnd
MsgBox(1, "DUPA", $all)
I get a big MsgBox full of output.

:)

Edited by MHz

Your usage is fine.

You are only using Devcon without parameters, so all you get at a cmd prompt is the startup banner. You do not want that banner stuff, right :mellow: . The startup banner is not quite regarded as STDIO data. You need to set Devcon into use with asking for output on one or more of it's switches.

Ah nice :)) Looks much better now, i was just testing "any" output so i could work on that and was suprised with lack of output. Tnx Again!

I need help once again:) I have in my code line $output = StringSplit($output, @CRLF) which creates an array of all text showing on screen. That's cool. But now i need to do some use of it. I know that $output[0] will give me number of lines i have.. i also noticed that it usually gives me 2 empty lines at the end so if $output[0] is 5 .. last sentence is in line 3. And i'm especially interested in that last string.. if it's: " 5 device(s) removed." or "No devices removed.". I couldn't realy make it to work. Need help on that. Eventually i will need to output some more info from $output array but atm i can't see good solution. Please me help me on that :)

FileInstall("c:\devcon.exe", @TempDir & "\devcon.exe")
FileInstall("c:\setdevicepath.exe", @TempDir & "\setdevicepath.exe")

Global $output
Dim $devcon = @TempDir & "\devcon.exe"
Dim $setdevicepath = @TempDir & "\SetDevicePath.exe"
Dim $drivers = "D:\Drivers"

FindHardware($drivers)

Func FindHardware($path_to_drivers); 
    RunWait($setdevicepath & " " & $path_to_drivers)
    $DevconRemoveOutput = Run(@ComSpec & " /c c:\devcon.exe remove =Monitor", '', @SW_HIDE, 2)
    While 1
        $DevconRemoveData = StdoutRead($DevconRemoveOutput)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        If $DevconRemoveData Then
            $output &= $DevconRemoveData
        Else
            Sleep(10)
        EndIf
    WEnd
    $output = StringSplit($output, @CRLF)
    $dupa = StringInStr ( $output[3], "device(s) removed.")
    MsgBox(1, "DUPA3", $dupa)

If $output[1] = "No devices removed." Then 
       ;MsgBox(1, "DUPA1", $output[1] & " " & $output[0] & " " & $output[2] & " " & $output[3] & " " & $output[4] & " " & $output[5])
    Else
   ; MsgBox(1, "DUPA2", $output[1] & " " & $output[0] & " " & $output[2] & " " & $output[3] & " " & $output[4] & " " & $output[5])
    $DevconRescanOutput = Run(@ComSpec & " /c c:\devcon.exe rescan", '', @SW_HIDE, 2)
    EndIf
EndFunc

Func RestoreDefault()
    RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion", "DevicePath", "REG_EXPAND_SZ", "%SystemRoot%\inf")
EndFunc

Do read the Docs for StringSplit and the use of it's optional parameter. It is a commonly used string function and should be known for it's abilities.

Let me show it in a similar working concept. Hopefully this example may show you more clearly of what you may need to do.

; Run Devcon to find some hardware specs

$stdout = Run(@ComSpec & " /c c:\devcon.exe find *", '', @SW_HIDE, 2)

; Get the StdOut information

Global $all
While 1
    If @error Then ExitLoop
    If $data Then
        $all &= $data
    Else
        Sleep(10)
    EndIf
WEnd

; Remove whitespace from either end of the data. Includes end of line characters

$all = StringStripWS($all, 3)

; Split the data into array elements for each line. Important: 3rd parameter of StringSplit used !!!
; Note: @CRLF is 2 chars.

$split = StringSplit($all, @CRLF, 1)
If @error Then
    MsgBox(0, 'Experienced problems spliting this', $split[1])
    Exit
EndIf

; Loop through the array and locate CDROM and show each instance in a MsgBox

For $i = 1 To $split[0]
    If StringInStr($split[$i], 'CDROM') Then
        If MsgBox(1, "DUPA", $split[$i]) = 2 Then ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

; Show last element

MsgBox(0, 'Last element', $split[$split[0]])
Edited by MHz