Tcp/ip Connections

I'm writing a utility to control the computers in a Student lab at my school - to be able to do things like shutdown/logoff/reboot all the workstations from the teacher's computer,

I have a function which uses "TCPConnect" to connect to logged-in workstations.

Func SetupConnections()
    ProgressOn("TCP/IP Connection Progress", "Attempting Connections:", "Workstation")
    For $station = 1 to $numStation
        $state = "Connected"
        $i = 100/$numStation * $station
        $IPAddress = "192.168.15." & $station
        $connectedSocket[$station] = TCPConnect($IPAddress, $portAddress)
        If @error Or $connectedSocket[$station] < 1 Then $state = "Failed"
        ProgressSet( $i, "Workstation " & $station & " (" & $IPAddress & ") : " & $state)
    Next
    sleep(500)
    ProgressSet(100 , "Done", "Complete")
    sleep(1000)
    ProgressOff()
EndFunc

1 I want to run a client program on the workstations, so that the workstation is "listening" for a connection, even if nobody is logged in at the workstation. Is this possible? Can I run my client program as a Windows Service?

2 At the moment, if a workstation is not logged in, the function takes less than a second to bring up the "failed" message. However, if a workstation is actually switched off, it takes up to ten seconds before it times out and shows the "failed" message. Is there any way of speeding this up.

Thanks,

Graham

New International School of Thailand

Edited by GrahamT

I'm writing a utility to control the computers in a Student lab at my school - to be able to do things like shutdown/logoff/reboot all the workstations from the teacher's computer,

I think you can get all this funcitonality out of the shutdown.exe tool from the Windows resource kit.

Maybe Ping will help you out.

Try to ping each IP before opening a socket , you can control the timeout for Ping.

This is also good for ARP.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"-Jimi Hendrix