Is It Possible?

• Moderators

I 've one question. Is it a possible to write script, it save icon placement in Desktop and recover, when I need it??

Thanks for any idea! :)

:o:):mellow:

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Developers

:):mellow::)

Translation:

Is it possible to save the current position of all Icons on the Desktop so it can be restored at a later date .....

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Moderators

Translation:

Is it possible to save the current position of all Icons on the Desktop so it can be restored at a later date .....

LOL... well, after reading it 4 times, I think I understood that part... the part I guess I don't understand is 'Why', at whatever time you call it, your more than likely going to either A.) Have more icons that were not in the original configuration B.) Have Less icons, maybe you removed a program C.) A little of both.... Maybe a better/neater solution could be had if it was known what it was for?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Developers

Yeh, that's what I wont to say:)

I'am sry for my poor english. I'am feeling so stupid right now!.. :">

Why? ... pretty sure you write better English than most of the folks here will write your language...

Just try and learn ......

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Moderators

Why? ... pretty sure you write better English than most of the folks here will write your language...

No Doubt!!! I could hurt your eyes if you read what I tried to say in your language if it is something other than english :)!!

But seriously, could you state what your over all goal is for this, and what specifically you are trying to attempt, maybe a better solution could be offered.

Got me there, I can only write in American English.

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

No Doubt!!! I could hurt your eyes if you read what I tried to say in your language if it is something other than english :)!!

But seriously, could you state what your over all goal is for this, and what specifically you are trying to attempt, maybe a better solution could be offered.

OK, I have a lot of icons on the Desktop. It's arranged by my custom.Everything's all right. But sometimes became, that all of icons is arranged to right part of the screen(automatically).

I'm trying to write script for save current - my custom position of all Icons on the Desktop so it can be restored at right time.. :mellow:

• Moderators

Looks like this is what you are wanting.

Layout.zip

Download Layout.zip and unzip it to extract two files. Move Layout.dll to the Windows\System32 folder. Double-click on Layout.reg to add it to the Registry.

If you now right-click on almost any of the standard desktop icons you'll see two new items: Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout. Choose the former whenever you change the layout; choose the latter when you need to restore it.

I 've one question. Is it a possible to write script, it save icon placement in Desktop and recover, when I need it??

Thanks for any idea! :)

It's NOT autoit

http://www.rockbs.it/Download/Inriga.exe

Salva = Save

Ripristina = Restore

the saved positions are in c:\Path\inriga.exe >>>> icons.dat

Have a look at icons.dat with Notepad

Edited by Lapo

If you now right-click on almost any of the standard desktop icons you'll see two new items: Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout. Choose the former whenever you change the layout; choose the latter when you need to restore it.

hmm.. sounds fimilar

http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

anyone make something similar with autoit? the first few posts lost me.

Edited by slightly_abnormal

Not exactly on topic, but a config thing I do to help folks I support is to right click on the taskbar, and add the toolbar for the desktop. I make the toolbar as small as possible, so you just see the word "Desktop >>". This allows for quick access to the desktop without having to minimize any windows, and it doesn't matter where the icons are on the screen. Also, you can make folders to keep down clutter, and to organize stuff. :)

• Moderators

Not exactly on topic, but a config thing I do to help folks I support is to right click on the taskbar, and add the toolbar for the desktop. I make the toolbar as small as possible, so you just see the word "Desktop >>". This allows for quick access to the desktop without having to minimize any windows, and it doesn't matter where the icons are on the screen. Also, you can make folders to keep down clutter, and to organize stuff. :)

This is how I keep my stuff organized.

Posted Image

And then they all auto hide to leave a nice clean desktop.

Posted Image

• Moderators

what the hell are you using? :) My desktop is full the icons hide off the screen for me..

Actually I believe this works on windows back to 98.

First create a folder on your desktop, I name mine Junk.

Then inside that folder create a folder for each category you want (i.e. Video, Audio, Imaging, etc).

Then start throwing your icons into the appropriate folders.

Now drag one of the folders in your Junk folder to the edge of the screen and release.

This will create a toolbar with the icons in that folder.

Now right click on the toolbar and select Toolbars-->New Toolbar

Choose the next folder from your Junk folder and click OK, repeat this step for the remaining folders.

Now you can format each toolbar section however you please.