Is This A Bug.. Does It Happen To You?

I have another thread with an issue of a closing GUI.

Can you try this and let me know what happens for you.

You need to run the below code.

Click on the button, hover your mouse over a file until the mouse tip comes up, then click Cancel.

Then click the button again and hover over a file again.

On my PC the script exits, you may need to do it a couple of times, sometimes on the second try you can move the cursor off a file and then on to another.

GUICreate("Directory Compare", 831, 569, -1, -1)
$Report = GUICtrlCreateButton("Generate Report", 510, 510, 160, 20)

GuiSetState()
While 1
    $msg = GuiGetMsg()
    Select
    Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
        ExitLoop
    Case $msg = $REport
        FileOpenDialog ("test",-1, "(*.*)")
    Case Else
    ;;;
    EndSelect
WEnd
Exit

No crashes here

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

Hi,

hmmh that is not the point?

#include <GuiConstants.au3>

Edit: Besides: No problems noticed.

So long,

Mega

Edited by th.meger

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

OK, update If I run it from another location other than my desktop it is fine.

I have a lot of files on my desktop so I moved them all to a folder, now when I run it I no longer get the crash.

Win Xp

Your script should EXITLOOP when ever $MSG = -3 so try to replace Exit loop with MSGBOX (or some thing else).

When you reproduce the problem if msgbox appeared then its not a crash, and for some reason $MSG is getting set to -3.

Just an idea :)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"-Jimi Hendrix

Your script should EXITLOOP when ever $MSG = -3 so try to replace Exit loop with MSGBOX (or some thing else).

When you reproduce the problem if msgbox appeared then it’s not a crash, and for some reason $MSG is getting set to -3.

Just an idea :mellow:

I did a test where all exitloops and exits were commented out and it still did it, it is related to all the files on my desktop :)

Further investigating reveals that, if a file containing plain text is hovered over, on my desktop only then it causes the script to close but only the second time file open dialog is used, if I move all files except a single text file it still crashes so not related to quantity of files as I first thought. If I hover over an exe then no problem.

Very strange

Further investigating reveals that, if a file containing plain text is hovered over, on my desktop only then it causes the script to close but only the second time file open dialog is used, if I move all files except a single text file it still crashes so not related to quantity of files as I first thought. If I hover over an exe then no problem.

Very strange

It just happend to me too, I hovered over an autoit file.

Edit: and .log file

Note:

It will defiantly happen if the second time you hovered over the autoit file that you are using to recreate this issue.

Edited by rbhkamal

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"-Jimi Hendrix

I confirm silent crash also using.

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

GUICreate("Directory Compare", 831, 569)
GUISetState()

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
            ExitLoop
        Case $msg < 0
            ContinueLoop
        Case $msg = $Report
            FileOpenDialog("test", @ScriptDir, "All (*.*)")
    EndSelect
WEnd

Exit

Func OnAutoItExit()
    MsgBox(0, @ScriptName, 'OnAutoItExit')
EndFunc

Crashes hovering over text files on desktop using FileOpenDialog.

!>AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:-1073741819

As a followup, this crashes in shell32.dll which means it's Microsoft's bug. I don't have the current debug symbols for shell32.dll or I could pin-point it further.

Somebody should consider A) Test this on other versions of Winodws using notepad. B) Report to Microsoft.

As a followup, this crashes in shell32.dll which means it's Microsoft's bug. I don't have the current debug symbols for shell32.dll or I could pin-point it further.

Somebody should consider A) Test this on other versions of Winodws using notepad. :) Report to Microsoft.

Valik, I have tried this on some other computers with 2k and XP, my laptop is the only one here in our office that has the crash issue and it does happen on Notepad too. Maybe a service pack level.

The version of Shell32.dll I have is 6.0.2900.2763. All my machines are fully updated via Windows Update so presumably this is the latest version of the DLL. This is obviously with Windows XP SP2.

The version of Shell32.dll I have is 6.0.2900.2763. All my machines are fully updated via Windows Update so presumably this is the latest version of the DLL. This is obviously with Windows XP SP2.

I have the same version of dll and it does not happen here. I am running Win XP Pro SP2 fully updated.

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

I confirm silent crash also using.

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

GUICreate("Directory Compare", 831, 569)
GUISetState()

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
            ExitLoop
        Case $msg < 0
            ContinueLoop
        Case $msg = $Report
            FileOpenDialog("test", @ScriptDir, "All (*.*)")
    EndSelect
WEnd

Exit

Func OnAutoItExit()
    MsgBox(0, @ScriptName, 'OnAutoItExit')
EndFunc

Crashes hovering over text files on desktop using FileOpenDialog.

!>AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:-1073741819
I used MHz's code above and no matter what I tried, I could not get it to crash.

Then I enabled

"Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items"

via explorer > tools > folder options > view tab (near the bottom).

[it did not require a restart to toggle this "no crash" vs. "crash" behavior - however - be warned that each toggle of that setting causes a refresh of not only the desktop, but the IE window in which I was creating this reply... which means I lost what I had typed in the reply.]

Edit: The version of Shell32.dll I have is 6.0.2900.2763.

Edited by herewasplato

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

I used MHz's code above and no matter what I tried, I could not get it to crash.

Then I enabled

"Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items"

via explorer > tools > folder options > view tab (near the bottom).

[it did not require a restart to toggle this "no crash" vs. "crash" behavior - however - be warned that each toggle of that setting causes a refresh of not only the desktop, but the IE window in which I was creating this reply... which means I lost what I had typed in the reply.]

Edit: The version of Shell32.dll I have is 6.0.2900.2763.

I thought it might be something to do with the popup, but on some other machines at work I can not get it to happen, I'll check the versions tomorrow