Tray Icons Don't Disappear

Greets uberhaxors, hehe. I have been writing all sorts of stuff in AutoIt for my company. I have a login script that checks the users' location of their My Documents folder to make sure our Group Policy redirection is working (office politics made this pointless endeavour necessary :D )

Anyway, I've set the TrayIconHide option and it works fine on most systems. My coworkers just informed me this morning, and someone entered a helpdesk ticket wanting to know what these icons were in their tray, and they have screenshots. The icons don't disappear, they stick around until you mouse over them and then they disappear. I'm sure some of you have already run into this before.

I'm using AutoIt 3.0.101, the example system that had this problem was a Windows XP system, using the XP theme, and they had the "hide inactive icons" setting enabled.

Help! I love AutoIt, but if several associates are being annoyed with multiple tray icons, especially since I have scripts running every other hour, I won't be able to continue to use AutoIt! TRAGEDY!

Seriuosly

Tell them: "I am the master, funk you and accept that icons. they are nothing of your concern"

Normal

The icon appear even after that command for a short while, maybe their system is busy and it does not hide the icon quickly?

To Jon:

What about adding an option in the compiler that deactivate the icon completly? I have a similar problem and I solved it with the first answer :D

Ezzetabi, I wish it were that simple, hehe. I have seen where CyberSlug gave the way to go in the source code and remove the icon all together, but unfortunately, I am no programmer, and I don't have the tools to compile the source code! :D Jon, Larry, some of you ninja masters, do ya'll already have a compiled version of AutoIt that doesn't have the tray icon at all that you could send me, or I can go download.

The initial appearance doesn't bother me at all, I understand why you put it in, but it is stacking multiple A's in people's tray, and the way things go around here, if I don't get rid of them quick, I'll lose the ability to do a lot of useful things with AutoIt. Please help!

There are 2 reasons (That I've experienced) that ANY tray icon won't disappear correctly.

1) The system is EXTREMELY busy. I can rarely cause this on my system, it usually involves compiling something + VMware + 39028582903 other things running. In fact, it normally requires some errant process to run away and eat everything up in order for it to happen to another program.

2) The program crashed.

There are 3 reasons...

3) Sometimes on XP, the "Hide inactive icons" feature forgets to remove something.

I have noticed the same thing Valik, with high CPU usage anyway, however, I am only outputting the location of the My Documents folder to a text file, nothing fancy, and it won't last for more than a second. I'll look at disabling the "hide inactive icons" but I still don't consider that a solution to my problem.

Helge: EnvUpdate on Google turned up a reference to AutoHotKey, which I understand to be like AutoIt, but not the same thing.

EnvUpdate is a built-in command that updates the system environment by sending a WM_SETTING change message to all windows. I don't think it will update the icons, though (Although, there is a way to tell icons to update, I just don't know how to do it).

You probably have right about that AutoHotKey got the EnvUpdate-function,

but AutoIt also got it..

But if Valik is correct, then it wont update the icons anyway..

PS !

I think I've seen someone posted something similar to this earlier..

You might wanna search the forum for this..

(Have tried it myself but didn't get any good hits)

Good luck anyway !

My apologies Helge, you are correct, I searched the help file and there is an EnvUpdate, I didn't recognize it so I looked it up on google and the first reference was to AutoHotKey. I'm not sure I follow Larry's comment. Are you guys suggested I add a line at the end of my script that just says:

EnvUpdate()

And that will correct the problem? :D

• Developers

Just a though:

Could we make it a compile option (preprocessor statement) that would default the TrayIconHide to 1 ?

This would avoid the brief popup as well when the first script statement is:

Opt("TrayIconHide", 0)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Could we make it a compile option (preprocessor statement) that would default the TrayIconHide to 1 ?

I think that Jon added the delay (750 msec isn't it ?) to make the version 3 of AutoIt,

less popular for making hostile scripts...

I guess..

Hey I'm down with whatever, I'm just trying to keep AutoIt alive here. I know how things go. The company I work for services other business in the building, and we're all about some "make everybody happy, no inconveniences" and all that. I like JdeB's idea, seems like it would be easier (I can't recompile anything myself).

I know we don't want AutoIt classified as some kind of hacker tool by making it all invisible and stuff, but the point of hiding the tray icon is to keep users out of the loop anyway. Most of the time they won't notice the tray icon if it's working correctly so it really won't be a big deal if there is an option of turning it off entirely, IMHO.

Whatchya'll think?

Here's a thought: Maybe there could be a registry key you could change on client machines to hide the icon entirely. That way, you would already have to have admin rights to a machine (obviously to manipulate most areas in the registry). If you've got admin rights to a machine, you can 0wn it any way. I'm sure others are having the same problem as myself. Honestly, if you're trying to create a hostile script, there's probably some third party freeware something you could wrap the program with and prevent an icon with. If someone was going to use AutoIt for the wrong reasons, there's probably not much you could do to stop them any way. So if that's the only reason for displaying the icon for ~750ms or so, then the point is kind of moot, isn't it?