Numbers - Rounding Off ?

Hey guys/girls, semi new user here, sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find a similar topic:

Sometimes when I am working with numbers as variables, such as subtracting or adding, something strange happens. A 1 will automatically become a .99999, or a 4 - 2 will become a 2.000001 instead of just plain 2. Where does this come from and is there an easy way to correct it?

Thank you,

Brad

Hey guys/girls, semi new user here, sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find a similar topic:

Sometimes when I am working with numbers as variables, such as subtracting or adding, something strange happens. A 1 will automatically become a .99999, or a 4 - 2 will become a 2.000001 instead of just plain 2. Where does this come from and is there an easy way to correct it?

Thank you,

Brad

I do not know why other than the default no of decimal places being 6. If you know that you are going to have whole nos type 0.9999 into

$input = InputBox('enter a number', 'moo')
$input = StringFormat("%.0f", $input)
MsgBox(0, '', $input)

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

• Moderators

Thank you,

Brad

Must admit... I've never had 4 - 2 become 2.000001 :)

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

It's perfectly normal and you can learn to correct it by researching floating point numbers which explains why the issue occurs and provides some solutions to some common problems when dealing with floating point numbers.

It's perfectly normal and you can learn to correct it by researching floating point numbers which explains why the issue occurs and provides some solutions to some common problems when dealing with floating point numbers.

Thank you for your help everyone, I think I have figured it out.