Please Help A Noob

Hey guys. I don't uderstand active x and how to program it. but can I use this in a web site???

if so then I want to write a active x script that downloads and runs a au3 script(compiled) for my web site.

If someone can help that would be great.

Thanks A lot

[center]AutoIT + Finger Print Reader/Scanner = COOL STUFF -> Check Out Topic![/center][center][font=Arial Black]Check out ConsultingJoe.com[/font][/center][center]My Scripts~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Web Protocol Managing - Simple WiFi Scanner - AutoTunes - Remote PC Control V2 - Audio SpectrascopePie Chart UDF - At&t's TTS - Custom Progress Bar - Windows Media Player Embed[/center]

Hey guys. I don't uderstand active x and how to program it. but can I use this in a web site???

if so then I want to write a active x script that downloads and runs a au3 script(compiled) for my web site.

If someone can help that would be great.

Thanks A lot

So you want to run malicious code on an unsuspecting users machine?

I would probably suggest you look elsewhere.. and take a long walk off a short pier.

So you want to run malicious code on an unsuspecting users machine?

I would probably suggest you look elsewhere.. and take a long walk off a short pier.

No I don't why daoes everyone suspect shit like that. I just want to learn activex and see if you can have it run a program through a site.

And if you must know the code would just return to a log file of what the computers name is:

is it posible???

[center]AutoIT + Finger Print Reader/Scanner = COOL STUFF -> Check Out Topic![/center][center][font=Arial Black]Check out ConsultingJoe.com[/font][/center][center]My Scripts~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Web Protocol Managing - Simple WiFi Scanner - AutoTunes - Remote PC Control V2 - Audio SpectrascopePie Chart UDF - At&t's TTS - Custom Progress Bar - Windows Media Player Embed[/center]

So I take it that it is not possible

1 solution which I know of is to write some Java code to run the compiled script.

Then you take advantage of "Java Web Start" and store the *.class bytecode files into a *.jar along with the appropriate META-INF file.

The upshot of all this is that the user gets a dialog box where he can select whether he wants to run your application or not, and if yes, he will be able to run it.

#)

EDIT: ActiveX will ask the user if he wants to run the app also, but most browsers just default to NO.

Edited by nfwu

Ok, well I don't mind if it lets the user know if it will be running. Can I write what the program is called and who it's by in that dialog. and is there any examples for activex or java avalible.

thanks

Yes you can do this on unprotected computers. Microsoft used to have a free VB ActiveX version. Not shure if it is around anymore. But then again they have hevely promoted a free download and usage of Visual Studio Express lately. Search on msdn.microsoft.com

ActiveX is intended for IE browsers. Why not create a simple .hta (hipertext application) page? With simple javascript or vbscript, as you prefer, you can create the downloader/run script. User is also asked if he likes to run this script locally.

ActiveX is intended for IE browsers. Why not create a simple .hta (hipertext application) page? With simple javascript or vbscript, as you prefer, you can create the downloader/run script. User is also asked if he likes to run this script locally.

I don't know much about it though is there a tutorial for this

• 1 month later...

<script>
var w = new WScript();
document.write("<pre>Computer Name: " + w.network.computerName + "<br>  User Name: " + w.network.userName);
</script>

Note that I see any purpose to it, or any use to it - but I also see no harm in it - considering it wont run unless the user has your site listed as trusted in IE - and wont run in Moz (not sure about Opera)

.. but since you said you do not mind activeX - which that is - that is a whole simplier, easier, and everything else than writing something for them to download to find out that info.

The AutoItX object does NOT load a script. It contains a list of functions that can be called from any working container.

Why do you want the computer name? The computer name can change from day to day, from user to user, from partition to partition, and can be used by any number of computers. Computer name alone is rather useless. If you really want a computer's online identifier, locate the Network Interface Card's Media Access Control address. That is burned into the NIC and cannot be changed.

The AutoItX object does NOT load a script. It contains a list of functions that can be called from any working container.

Same difference - its no different than if you write a php script, and include another php script, or in a webpage - load up an external JS file - the last two are easier to understand, and more simplistic - but its the same thing.

When you attach to an external ActiveX DLL or EXE - or any other sort of linking - you load up the "script" at that point - then the functions are available until such a time as you unload the "script"

There is no real difference between a scripting langauge , and a compiled language (before its compiled), between IE HTML, Standard HTML, VB6, AutoIT, .net, Pascal, PHP, Perl, JScript, Javascript, vbScript, Java, Basic, C++,C#,C, and any other computer language when you can think of.

They are all text. Nothing more, nothing less. You have to arrange each in a different way to get it to do what you want, thats for sure - but in the end - its just text. If you are calling a function from another object, you are in essense, loading up a script, and running part of it - just as you would an external JS file.

Even an object, is not really an object - an object is a ball, a beer can, a rock - not something on a computer - what is called an object on a computer is nothing more than a bunch of text, maybe compiled, maybe not.