Waiting For Windows To Close.

I'll explain my situation and then what I'm looking for is what do people feel the best way to tackle this is.

I have a script that installs software. Sometime software needs a reboot and after relogging in it will continue installing the software.

I may install 4 pieces of software at one time that requires a reboot and will finish installation. After the user logs in I will have my software on the top of the run once list so it begins running. I have no way of knowing, or do I, which software will begin finish installing first, second and so on. What I need my script to do is watch for these windows after restart wait until they are finished installing and after all of them are done installing finish my script.

1) Is this possible.

2) What would be the best way to approach this?

Thanks for any help. I know that this description is somewhat confusing, but I think it's best to have people ask questions if they don't understand and I will answer them asap.

red

I may install 4 pieces of software at one time

Don't do that. Virtually all software includes warnings (with good reason) to ensure that nothing else untoward can interfere w/ the process. Run through your install / don't install logic sequentially.

After the user logs in I will have my software on the top of the run once list so it begins running. I have no way of knowing, or do I, which software will begin finish installing first, second and so on.

see above.

2) What would be the best way to approach this?

use a boolean variable for each app to install, and record these values where you can get to them -- if you have to survive a reboot, use the registry or an ini file. Use a While or Do Until loop w/ a nested select endselect scenario to detect which scenarios are viable / expected to occur.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

Ok I think I misstated. It would be installed sequentially. When I said at one time I meant before a reboot.

Now the answer about using a select/end select sounds like a good idea, but I have to dynamically create how many cases I'm going to have, because each run of the program will have a different amount of programs that will need to finish install at reboot.

That's the hurdle I'm trying to get over.

Ok I think I misstated. It would be installed sequentially. When I said at one time I meant before a reboot.

Now the answer about using a select/end select sounds like a good idea, but I have to dynamically create how many cases I'm going to have, because each run of the program will have a different amount of programs that will need to finish install at reboot.

That's the hurdle I'm trying to get over.

if you look in scripts and scraps, a few people have made installer scripts already that allow you to choose from a list of apps with checkboxes, and install each in order, including necessary reboots. if nothing else, it will give you a chance to see how others have skinned the cat already