General Capabilities Of Autoit3

Sorry,

but I didn't find an overview about what I can do with AutoIt3 yet.

Actually I'm quite familiar with vbscript, wmi and so on. Now someone

told me about AutoIt3 and that he uses it for a lot of administrative tasks.

So I was wondering what I can do with AutoIt3. What is its main purpose?

Can I run scripts remotely, can I access Active Directory? To be more

specific:

Can I do software inventory? Can I create a new user account in AD?

Any information or hints to websites are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The Kirschi

AutoIt v3 is a freeware BASIC-like scripting language designed for automating the Windows GUI and general scripting. It uses a combination of simulated keystrokes, mouse movement and window/control manipulation in order to automate tasks in a way not possible or reliable with other languages (e.g. VBScript and SendKeys). AutoIt is also very small, self-contained and will run on 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, 2003 out of the box with no annoying "runtimes" required! You can even make compiled executable scripts that can run without AutoIt being installed!

AutoIt was initially designed for PC "roll out" situations to reliably configure thousands of PCs, but with the arrival of v3 it has become a powerful language able to cope with most scripting needs.

AutoIt can:

* Provide a general-purpose scripting language for all Windows versions

* Simulate keystrokes (supports most keyboard layouts)

* Simulate mouse movements and clicks

* Move, resize and manipulate windows

* Interact directly with "controls" on a window (set/get text from edit controls, check boxes and radio buttons, select items in drop-down lists, etc.)

* Create complex user interfaces (GUIs)

* Work with the clipboard to cut/paste text items

* Provide a scriptable RunAs function for Windows 2000/XP/2003

Unlike AutoIt2, the new AutoIt v3 language has a much more standard syntax -similar to VBScript and BASIC - and now supports complex expressions, user functions, looping and everything else that veteran scripters would expect.

As with previous versions, AutoIt has been designed to be as small as possible (~115KB) and stand-alone with no external .dll files or registry entries required. Scripts can also be compiled into stand-alone executables with Aut2Exe.

There will also be updates to the ActiveX and DLL versions of AutoIt called AutoItX - unlike v2 this will be a combined control (COM and standard DLL functions in the same DLL). AutoItX will allow you to add the unique features of AutoIt to your own favourite scripting or programming languages!

Best of all, AutoIt continues to be FREE - but if you want to support the time, money and effort spent on the project and web hosting then you may donate using the link to your left in the menu.

Take me to the downloads page!

IMO autoit can do evrything i want. it can press buttons but it could also do complex process manipulation.

My UDF's:;mem stuff_Mem;ftp stuff_FTP ( OLD );inet stuff_INetGetSource ( OLD )_INetGetImage _INetBrowse ( Collection )_EncodeUrl_NetStat_Google;random stuff_iPixelSearch_DiceRoll

• Moderators

Sorry,

but I didn't find an overview about what I can do with AutoIt3 yet.

Actually I'm quite familiar with vbscript, wmi and so on. Now someone

told me about AutoIt3 and that he uses it for a lot of administrative tasks.

So I was wondering what I can do with AutoIt3. What is its main purpose?

Can I run scripts remotely, can I access Active Directory? To be more

specific:

Can I do software inventory? Can I create a new user account in AD?

Any information or hints to websites are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The Kirschi

Hi and welcome to the forums... The answers to your questions are yes...

There are over 164500 posts right now... If you can't find what you are looking for specifically in the help file, you can do a search on the forum for them, if you have a specific question, I'm sure it's been asked and answered by now.

Also, to familiarize yourself with AutoIt, you might want to take a look at one of the tutorials, here's one that a member did: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21048

Good Luck :)

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

@Kirschi,

Like Smoke_N said, Welcome to the forums!

You might find this link of interest - but we invite you to hang around here too:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...showtopic=17482

I don't work with Active Directory too often, but I can see where AutoIt could help. Do a forum search for "Active Directory" on "All Forums" - search titles only..... see what you get.

A search for "software inventory" will also net you some scripts to study/test.

...enjoy AutoIt, the forums, the members...

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]