Net Time

renhoek

Maybe I am missing something here, but do users actually need administrator rights to set the time? I have been using AutoIt for logon scripts since AutoIt v2. My very first script was a logon script that used "net time" to synchronize the computer time with the NT 4.0 domain servers. I have never had an issue with any computer not getting the time updated.

For my personal computer at home, I use neutron to sync my XP computer since my XP doesn't seem to want to sync on its own. Maybe it is the two firewalls?

This post had no replies, yet already had 5 stars. Interesting. :)

edit: cut out quote--too long

Edited by SerialKiller

Why would you want to run it if you need a password every time you want to sync? Either you'd have to share the script or run around to sync the clock at least every month.

I'd use net time to set a ntp-server for w32time or use net time in a planed task as an administrator @ startup. That's more secure and you don't have to share the admin-password.

I also think that in this case autoit would be oversized. I simple vba-script should do the trick (if you want to hide the cmd-promt that would show up).

I also wonder if @sw_hide now work if you use runasset?!? I used to rerun the script since discover that it did't. :)

Why would you want to run it if you need a password every time you want to sync?

This script is written to overcome a sync problem on industrial touch panel computers with Windows XP Embedded. Once they run, they will never be shut down (hopefully...).

We were not able to sync these panels the ordinary way(s) (stripped down XP Embedded), so we wanted to use a regular batch file. But admin rights are needed to be able to sync and on these panels a user with restricted rights is active for the operators. Using this script, running as a stand alone exe, the admin password cannot be revealed (e.g. using notepad). Also, using @sw_hide (even using runasset) hides the cmd window, so the operators won't be bothered every time the script syncs (in our case every 5 minutes).