Find Control Id In A Script

I am trying to automate the installation of a dictionary program call WordWeb. The control IDs for most of its buttons change with each install. I need a script that will find the current control ID so I can use the ControlClick option.

• Moderators

I am trying to automate the installation of a dictionary program call WordWeb. The control IDs for most of its buttons change with each install. I need a script that will find the current control ID so I can use the ControlClick option.

Do the ClassNameNN(s) change? I generally use those more so than the ControlID's.

Also, there is a UDF that LxP made to get the ConrolNameNN from a specific position if all else fails.

Edit:

Here's the link if the ClassNameNN(s) change too.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...topic=14323&hl=

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Do the ClassNameNN(s) change? I generally use those more so than the ControlID's.

Also, there is a UDF that LxP made to get the ConrolNameNN from a specific position if all else fails.

Edit:

Here's the link if the ClassNameNN(s) change too.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...topic=14323&hl=

I thought of using the ClassNameNN but could not find an example in the help files. I have only been using this program for the last three days so I will need some assistance. I tried the link but I attmepts failed.

• Moderators

>>>>>>>>>>> Control Under Mouse <<<<<<<<<<<

Size: X: 185 Y: 37 W: 62 H: 29

Control ID: 81

ClassNameNN: Button24

Text: C

Example:
If Not ProcessExists('calc.exe') Then
    Run('Calc.exe')
    WinWait('Calculator', '', 10)
    If Not WinActive('Calculator') Then WinActivate('Calculator')
Else
    ControlClick('Calculator', 'C', 'Button24')
EndIf
ControlClick('Calculator', '7', 'Button5')
Sleep(1000); just so you can see it
ControlClick('Calculator', '+', 'Button20')
Sleep(1000)
ControlClick('Calculator', '3', 'Button15')
Sleep(1000)
ControlClick('Calculator', '=', 'Button21')
MsgBox(64, 'Sum', 'The sum on Calculator should be 10?')
Edit: Messed up WinWait()... sorry. Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Example:

If Not ProcessExists('calc.exe') Then
    Run('Calc.exe')
    WinWait('Calculator', '', 10)
Else
    ControlClick('Calculator', 'C', 'Button24')
EndIf
ControlClick('Calculator', '7', 'Button5')
Sleep(1000); just so you can see it
ControlClick('Calculator', '+', 'Button20')
Sleep(1000)
ControlClick('Calculator', '3', 'Button15')
Sleep(1000)
ControlClick('Calculator', '=', 'Button21')
MsgBox(64, 'Sum', 'The sum on Calculator should be 10?')
Edit: Messed up WinWait()... sorry.

Thanks for your assistance thus far. As you may have already figured out I am not only new to AutoIt but new to writing scripts. I know the AutoIt Window Info program will give me the ClassNameNN. However I do not know how to get ClassNameNN by running a script. By the way what was the calculator script for.

• Moderators

Hmmm...

Well the calculator script was to show you how I used the information that I got from the AutoInfo tool.

You actually have to get the information from each window/button/etc... you want to interact with using AutoInfo.exe so you can impliment them in your script.

After you have that information, you then write the script.... and that's all it takes... they shouldn't change from that point on.

You also may want to take a look at a tutorial: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21048

P.S. What program are you trying to automate?

Hmmm...

Well the calculator script was to show you how I used the information that I got from the AutoInfo tool.

You actually have to get the information from each window/button/etc... you want to interact with using AutoInfo.exe so you can impliment them in your script.

After you have that information, you then write the script.... and that's all it takes... they shouldn't change from that point on.

You also may want to take a look at a tutorial: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21048

P.S. What program are you trying to automate?

The program is called WordWeb. It is a free dictionary program. Thanks for the toturial program, it will be of great help to me. I am not sure you understand the problem I am getting. The ClassNameNN does not change. I am unable to find an example that uses ClassNameNN. All the examples that came with AutoIt uses Control ID. So I am looking for a script the retrive the ClassNameNN for a control.

• Moderators

I gave you an Example using ClassNameNN? What are you talking about? Just replace Control ID with ClassNameNN... That simple.

• Moderators

I have installed WordWeb... what do you want to do? ... It seems that WordWeb uses some"TPanel" controls that contain buttons. These buttons are not controls themselves... just part of the TPanel... This window may need some advanced techniques to automate...

LAr.

Ha... my laziness (didn't download it) has been exceeded by our AutoIt Guru... take some notes and explain in detail, larry's the man!!

The program is called WordWeb. It is a free dictionary program. Thanks for the toturial program, it will be of great help to me. I am not sure you understand the problem I am getting. The ClassNameNN does not change. I am unable to find an example that uses ClassNameNN. All the examples that came with AutoIt uses Control ID. So I am looking for a script the retrive the ClassNameNN for a control.

I think the problem is not on your end but on my end. Since I am new to this I am not explaining myself clearly. I should have told you that before I made this post I tried the ClassNameNN instead of Control ID. Everytime I did that I got a syntax error when I ran the script. The following is an example, where TCheckBox1 is the ClassNameNN.

E:\Downloads\Burn\WordWeb\New AutoIt v3 Script.au3(29,68) : ERROR: syntax error

ControlClick ( "WordWeb Setup","Install for all users", TCheckBox1 )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

E:\Downloads\Burn\WordWeb\New AutoIt v3 Script.au3 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

This is the reason I was trying to locate a script that will give the the current Control ID. A script that gives me the ClassNameNN will also work.

What I should have done was to show you the error I am getting and work from there.

• Moderators

My only suggestion... would be the UDF that I posted originally by LxP if you know the x and y positions... maybe larry can come up with something else.

This installs with defaults to all users... see TCheckBox1 reference below...

Run("""" & @ScriptDir & "\WordWeb.exe""")
WinWait("WordWeb","Accept")
ControlClick("WordWeb","Accept","Accept")
WinWait("WordWeb Setup","Install to the system tray")
ControlClick("WordWeb Setup","Install to the system tray","&Next >")
WinWait("WordWeb Setup","Install for all users")
ControlClick("WordWeb Setup","Install for all users","TCheckBox1")
Sleep(500)
ControlClick("WordWeb Setup","Install for all users","&Next >")
WinWait("WordWeb Setup","Your English locale")
ControlClick("WordWeb Setup","Your English locale","Install")
WinWait("WordWeb Setup","Help")
ControlClick("WordWeb Setup","Help","OK")

EDIT: There may also be the "text" of the TCheckBox control that can be used... just like I used the text of the buttons to click them...

:) Thanks, I really appreciate the efforts guys! :mellow:

• Moderators

Nobody mentioned it but just to help you out. The reason you were getting a syntax error was that you ClassNameNN had to be enclosed in quotes also. You left the clasenameNN bare.

The example I gave had it in quotes.