Cvswrapper Add-on For SciTE4AutoIt3

Jos

• Developers

I have regularly seen questions how to keep track of the different version of a script.

I have developed a cvsWrapper script that will enable you to save versions of your scripts to CVS repository (sandbox) by just pushing F12 to make a new snapshot ....

Check out the cvsWrapper webpage for all details...

Enjoy,

Jos

thanks to MHz/gafrost for testing/ideas/feedback..

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Thanks Jos!

I've been playing with TortoiseCVS half-heartedly for a while and the integration with SciTe will be a great benefit.

CVS and WinDiff mechanics are still kind of foreign to me though and I know that I would benefit from some best practice tips or brief use-case descriptions.

Install of everything you provided here went well and I have now managed to check-in several versions of my code. Here are a couple of my questions:

1) When I want to start a new editing session with the latest version of the code, do I just open the file with with SciTe in C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\cvsWrapper\cvsAutoIt3Scripts or do I need to do something to check it out of CVS first?

2) your CVS Diff Source makes it easy to compare the current editor contents to the last stored version in CVS, but how do I go about comparing what is in the editor to a prior version in the CVS?

3) what's the best way to open a prior version of the code in SciTe?

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

• Developers

Thanks Jos!

I've been playing with TortoiseCVS half-heartedly for a while and the integration with SciTe will be a great benefit.

CVS and WinDiff mechanics are still kind of foreign to me though and I know that I would benefit from some best practice tips or brief use-case descriptions.

Install of everything you provided here went well and I have now managed to check-in several versions of my code. Here are a couple of my questions:

1) When I want to start a new editing session with the latest version of the code, do I just open the file with with SciTe in C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\cvsWrapper\cvsAutoIt3Scripts or do I need to do something to check it out of CVS first?

2) your CVS Diff Source makes it easy to compare the current editor contents to the last stored version in CVS, but how do I go about comparing what is in the editor to a prior version in the CVS?

3) what's the best way to open a prior version of the code in SciTe?

Dale

Dale,

let me try to answer your questions:

1. No, You always use the original source and Edit that. the only reason I copy the file to another general directory is that the cvsAutoIt3Scripts is really a CVS Module where a copy of all your script reside. You will see when you get more used to working with CVS, you will start creating your own CVS Modules. cvsWrapper will detect when you used your own CVS Module use those settings in stead in that case.

Its getting a bit of a lenghty answer, but the only reason that cvsWrapper creates and uses cvsAutoIt3Scripts is to make it very simple to start using CVS with understanding how to create CVS Modules yourself.

2. Did you try the example i show in the cvsWrapper Webpage listed under Ctrl+F12 ? It shows there how you can open the CVS history page and compare any of the listed version to the only in the cvsAutoIt3Scripts directory !! (Not the version you are editing..) You dont have this drawback when you start creating your own CVS projects.

3. Start the same by opening the CVS History window and then RightMOuseClick on the version you want to open and select the option "View this Version"... This retrieve it from the CVS and open it in SciTE.

Jos

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 1 month later...
  • Developers

Updated the cvsWrapper with support for SVN repositories.

It will now support both installed CVS and SVN repositories and will give you the option at first run to create the default repository with either SVN or CVS.

People already using cvswrapper will not be asked this question since they have a CVS default repository and its not easy to convert.

Check the cvsWrapper page for more details.

Enjoy

Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 5 months later...
  • Developers

Updated cvsWrapper:

- Added Commit description text window in stead of inputbox

- Fixed check for SVN

- Fixed issue when doubled quotes exist in the Commit Description

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 1 month later...

I have regularly seen questions how to keep track of the different version of a script.

I have developed a cvsWrapper script that will enable you to save versions of your scripts to CVS repository (sandbox) by just pushing F12 to make a new snapshot ....

Check out the cvsWrapper webpage for all details...

Enjoy,

Jos

thanks to MHz/gafrost for testing/ideas/feedback..

I installed TortoiseCVS, WinMerge and cvsWrapper.

When I came to your instructions below to modify SciTEUser.properties I get a brain cramp! :lmao:

Where do you find SciTEUser.properties? ;)

Thanks,

Smudley

Add these lines to SciTEUser.properties:

# 42 Update Source in CVS

command.42.*.au3=$(SciteDefaultHome)\cvsWrapper\CvsWrapper.exe "$(FilePath)"

command.name.42.*.au3=CVS Update Source

command.save.before.42.*.au3=1

command.shortcut.42.*.au3=F12

# 43 Compare current Source with CVS version

command.43.*.au3=$(SciteDefaultHome)\cvsWrapper\CvsWrapper.exe "$(FilePath)" /ShowDiff

command.name.43.*.au3=CVS Diff Source

command.save.before.43.*.au3=1

command.shortcut.43.*.au3=Alt+F12

# 44 Open ScriptSource Directory

command.44.*.au3=$(SciteDefaultHome)\cvsWrapper\CvsWrapper.exe "$(FilePath)" /ShowRepository

command.name.44.*.au3=CVS Open Source Directory

command.save.before.44.*.au3=1

command.shortcut.44.*.au3=Ctrl+F12

-= Smudley =-

I installed TortoiseCVS, WinMerge and cvsWrapper.

When I came to your instructions below to modify SciTEUser.properties I get a brain cramp! :lmao:

Where do you find SciTEUser.properties? ;)

Thanks,

Smudley

Start SciTe in the toolbar press Options then select Open User Opions File

AutoIt Scripts:NetPrinter - Network Printer UtilityRobocopyGUI - GUI interface for M$ robocopy command line

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

I was intimidated by this over a year ago when I first tried to use it. As I develop my skills as a programmer I realize the need for this even more. I took the time this morning to study up on how CVS repositories actually work. I have a much greater understanding of it now and I'm not as intimidated by it as I was.

Let me share a couple problems I ran into while setting this up.

In your installation instructions you say "Add these lines to SciTEUser.properties", I looked in my "AutoIt\SciTE\" directory and no such file existed. So what did I do, I created it. Of course that didn't work and just by chance I noticed "Open User Options File" under the Options menu in SciTE. So I get those added in the correct place and get cvsWrapper setup for SVN using F12.

I add my Word.au3 to the repository without any issues. I merged some changes I've been working on in a separate file into Word.au3 and update the repository with F12. I added a multi-line description and pressed "Ok". I wanted to see what it looked like in the repository so I used the Ctrl+F12 option. I right clicked on Word.au3 --> TortoiseSVN --> Show Log. The first thing I noticed here is that only the first line of my multi-line description was added to the log message. So I right click on the revision and click "Edit log message", I add the rest of the description and click "OK". Now I get an error message "Repository has not been enabled to accept revision propchanges". I google this and find out that I can create two files "pre-revprop-change.bat" and "post-revprop-change.bat" in the "AutoIt\SciTE\cvsWrapper\SVNRepository\hooks\" directory to fix this problem.

This is a really great tool and I think more people would use it if they weren't intimidated by it like myself. Sorry for the lengthy post, but hopefully my experience will help someone.

• Developers

I was intimidated by this over a year ago when I first tried to use it. As I develop my skills as a programmer I realize the need for this even more. I took the time this morning to study up on how CVS repositories actually work. I have a much greater understanding of it now and I'm not as intimidated by it as I was.

Let me share a couple problems I ran into while setting this up.

In your installation instructions you say "Add these lines to SciTEUser.properties", I looked in my "AutoIt\SciTE\" directory and no such file existed. So what did I do, I created it. Of course that didn't work and just by chance I noticed "Open User Options File" under the Options menu in SciTE. So I get those added in the correct place and get cvsWrapper setup for SVN using F12.

I add my Word.au3 to the repository without any issues. I merged some changes I've been working on in a separate file into Word.au3 and update the repository with F12. I added a multi-line description and pressed "Ok". I wanted to see what it looked like in the repository so I used the Ctrl+F12 option. I right clicked on Word.au3 --> TortoiseSVN --> Show Log. The first thing I noticed here is that only the first line of my multi-line description was added to the log message. So I right click on the revision and click "Edit log message", I add the rest of the description and click "OK". Now I get an error message "Repository has not been enabled to accept revision propchanges". I google this and find out that I can create two files "pre-revprop-change.bat" and "post-revprop-change.bat" in the "AutoIt\SciTE\cvsWrapper\SVNRepository\hooks\" directory to fix this problem.

This is a really great tool and I think more people would use it if they weren't intimidated by it like myself. Sorry for the lengthy post, but hopefully my experience will help someone.

I welcome this type of input. :)

I really wrote this cvsWrapper for my own use because we use scripting a lot for the Company I work for and we had to share/develop with a team.

Will look into your comments to see what could be changed in the docs. The ability to update comments is something I wanted for AutoIt3 as well but isn't available yet but I will check into the stuff you posted to see if it can be added to cvsWrapper ..

Thanks,

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Developers

Is it possible to use this to check in/out your AU3 files into a CVS/SVN server?

Anyone have this working like this?

Should work out-of-the-box ... have you tried?

It will check for SVN/CVS settings and use the settings of the directory.

<_<

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.