Help Please, Getting Started!

I am brand new to the world of AutoIt. I've downloaded version 3. I've read the introductions, help files and viewed examples. My first real problem is, what do I open to start playing with this AutoIt?

Thanks!

start playing with this AutoIt?

Man, this is not a "real" game.

look at this post, if u wanna learn programing

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...ic=21048&hl=123

I love this Game :p----------------------Freeware Multilange support or Translate your scripts----------------------aNyBoDy KnOwS WhY A LiGhT iN My KeYbOaRd iS aLlWaIs BlInKiNg !?Who is "General Failure" and what is he doing in my hard disk !!!!!?

I am brand new to the world of AutoIt. I've downloaded version 3. I've read the introductions, help files and viewed examples. My first real problem is, what do I open to start playing with this AutoIt?

Thanks!

I will suggest you start with the tutorials

start playing with this AutoIt?

Man, this is not a "real" game...

"playing" is not just for games :-)

@jesswartz,

Welcome to the forums. I see from your other posts that you already have SciTE4AutoIt3 installed. Like jpm suggested, "...start with the tutorials". Go to the help file > Contents tab > expand the tree to find/read Tutorial.

You mentioned that you had "viewed examples" in the helpfile. Yes, most of the functions have great examples and most of those examples have a button labeled "Open this Script". Let me warn you that if you open those scripts - you might not want to change them... it will not mess up what you see in the help file, but you can mess up the au3 files that came with the installation.

As for something to play with - there are some great au3 examples included. I understand the confusion about looking for an exe to run... but there is no need. Reinstall AutoIt3 (not the zipped version like you mentioned in your other post) and AutoIt will run the files with an au3 extension (depending upon the selections made during installation, you might have to right-click and select Run Script). Anyway, to get to the examples go to Start > Programs > AutoIt v3 > Examples. That should bring up a file explorer view of some files with the au3 extension. Start with the one named "calculator.au3" (or just "calculator" - depending upon how you file explorer is setup - maybe your setup doesn't display file extensions.)

Enjoy.....

@jpm and others,

Let me repeat my request that the installation include protecting those files... it is such a minor thing make them read-only.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Ask yourself what you would like to script. You could:

Script a program you would like to install

make a GUI that does something

Script a utility that will open a webpage and log you in, like hotmail

make a game like tic-tac-toe

Think of something, and give it a try. You can get great examples in script and scraps, and if all else fails, post your code and ask for help. THere are lots of us here who are glad to lend a hand. :)

• Moderators

...and sometimes an arm and a leg too. :-)

More so an ear :) (in this case an eye :mellow: )

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

"playing" is not just for games :-)

@jesswartz,

Welcome to the forums. I see from your other posts that you already have SciTE4AutoIt3 installed. Like jpm suggested, "...start with the tutorials". Go to the help file > Contents tab > expand the tree to find/read Tutorial.

You mentioned that you had "viewed examples" in the helpfile. Yes, most of the functions have great examples and most of those examples have a button labeled "Open this Script". Let me warn you that if you open those scripts - you might not want to change them... it will not mess up what you see in the help file, but you can mess up the au3 files that came with the installation.

As for something to play with - there are some great au3 examples included. I understand the confusion about looking for an exe to run... but there is no need. Reinstall AutoIt3 (not the zipped version like you mentioned in your other post) and AutoIt will run the files with an au3 extension (depending upon the selections made during installation, you might have to right-click and select Run Script). Anyway, to get to the examples go to Start > Programs > AutoIt v3 > Examples. That should bring up a file explorer view of some files with the au3 extension. Start with the one named "calculator.au3" (or just "calculator" - depending upon how you file explorer is setup - maybe your setup doesn't display file extensions.)

Enjoy.....

@jpm and others,

Let me repeat my request that the installation include protecting those files... it is such a minor thing make them read-only.

Thanks to JdeB, you will get them readonly in .118. I decide to protect the include files too. :)

Oh, just for note, you can also script in notepad.

But Scite is 100x better, that coloring helps so much.

If you want to have something to learn, i suggest you to make bots for 2d plataform games as i'm doing, I've learned much scripting doing that.

Man you guys are great! I really appreciate all the replies. And for those of you whom are offended by me saying "playing with this autoit", SORRRRRY! That's how I learn, by playing with a new program. Well, I'm gonna try this stuff some more, you can bet you'll see more questions!

Thanks Everyone!