Another Noob Question

I must be reading it wrong - but I would think that the UDF would bring the first line back (text and all) - but this must not be right because everytime I use it - the value is 0 (ZERO)

Func writeINI();_GUICtrlEditGetFirstVisibleLine($h_edit)  - _GUICtrlEditGetLineCount($h_edit)

$fileINIname = $filenameDEFAULT

MsgBox(0,$fileINIname,$fileINIname & "   "  & _GUICtrlEditGetFirstVisibleLine($GUI_TEXT_USER))

$firstLine = _GUICtrlEditGetFirstVisibleLine($GUI_TEXT_USER)

IniWrite ( $fileINIname, @MON & @MDAY & @YEAR, @HOUR & @MIN, GUICtrlRead($GUI_TEXT_USER))

IniWrite ( $fileINIname, @MON & @MDAY & @YEAR, @HOUR & @MIN, $firstLine )

EndFunc

; neither of the IniWrite call gives me the value of the first line - how should I use it or better yet is it even possible?

Thanks for your time,

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#include <GuiEdit.au3>

opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

Dim $myedit, $Status, $msg, $Btn_GET
Const $EM_GETLINE = 0xC4

GUICreate("Edit Line Length", 392, 254)

$myedit = GUICtrlCreateEdit("First line" & @CRLF, 140, 32, 121, 97, BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_MULTILINE))
GUICtrlSetLimit($myedit, 1500)
$Status = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 0, 234, 392, 20, BitOR($SS_SUNKEN, $SS_CENTER))
$Btn_GET = GUICtrlCreateButton("Get", 150, 130, 90, 40, $BS_MULTILINE)

; will be append dont' forget 3rd parameter
GUICtrlSetData($myedit, "2nd line" & @CRLF & "3rd line" & @CRLF & "4th line" & @CRLF & _
      "5th line" & @CRLF & "6th line" & @CRLF & "7th line" & @CRLF & "8th line" & @CRLF & "9th line", 1)

GUISetState()
;********************************************************************************
; the controlcommand in the next statement is what you need to look at
;********************************************************************************
GUICtrlSetData($Status, "Line 0: " & ControlCommand("Edit Line Length","","Edit1","GetLine",1))

; Run the GUI until the dialog is closed
While 1
   $msg = GUIGetMsg()
   Select
      Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
         ExitLoop
      Case $msg = $Btn_GET
         GUICtrlSetData($Status, "Line Length: " & _GUICtrlEditLineLength ($myedit))
   EndSelect
WEnd

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#include <GuiEdit.au3>

opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

Dim $myedit, $Status, $msg, $Btn_GET
Const $EM_GETLINE = 0xC4

GUICreate("Edit Line Length", 392, 254)

$myedit = GUICtrlCreateEdit("First line" & @CRLF, 140, 32, 121, 97, BitOR($ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_MULTILINE))
GUICtrlSetLimit($myedit, 1500)
$Status = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 0, 234, 392, 20, BitOR($SS_SUNKEN, $SS_CENTER))
$Btn_GET = GUICtrlCreateButton("Get", 150, 130, 90, 40, $BS_MULTILINE)

; will be append dont' forget 3rd parameter
GUICtrlSetData($myedit, "2nd line" & @CRLF & "3rd line" & @CRLF & "4th line" & @CRLF & _
      "5th line" & @CRLF & "6th line" & @CRLF & "7th line" & @CRLF & "8th line" & @CRLF & "9th line", 1)

GUISetState()
GUICtrlSetData($Status, "Line 0: " & ControlCommand("Edit Line Length","","Edit1","GetLine",1))

; Run the GUI until the dialog is closed
While 1
   $msg = GUIGetMsg()
   Select
         ExitLoop
      Case $msg = $Btn_GET
   EndSelect
WEnd

I am not sure if I made myself clear - I do that a lot. What I need is a way to read the text from a input control and save it to a variable - is this possible and if so what is the function to get it. The one that is above gives me the number of characters after I add some - maybe I am just not getting it.

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

I am not sure if I made myself clear - I do that a lot. What I need is a way to read the text from a input control and save it to a variable - is this possible and if so what is the function to get it. The one that is above gives me the number of characters after I add some - maybe I am just not getting it.

did you even try it?

it returned the first line for me in the status bar.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

did you even try it?

it returned the first line for me in the status bar.

I added the following to your code - msgbox

While 1
   $msg = GUIGetMsg()
   Select
         ExitLoop
      Case $msg = $Btn_GET
 MsgBox(0, _GUICtrlEditLineLength ($myedit), _GUICtrlEditLineLength ($myedit))

EndSelect
WEnd

From your example it shows the number 8 when I press the get button - I need the text not the number of chars...does this make sense?

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

I added the following to your code - msgbox

While 1
   $msg = GUIGetMsg()
   Select
         ExitLoop
      Case $msg = $Btn_GET
 MsgBox(0, _GUICtrlEditLineLength ($myedit), _GUICtrlEditLineLength ($myedit))

EndSelect
WEnd

From your example it shows the number 8 when I press the get button - I need the text not the number of chars...does this make sense?

should of paid attention to the below in the above script:

should of paid attention to the below in the above script:

Sorry once again - I did not know what you were stating - I thought that the button press had something to do with it. Now I see once I run the script the message is equal to what I want. Again sorry - I am still very new to programming and still want to learn but IT IS HARD.

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory