Embeding And Modify Data In The Executable.

Hi,

EDIT: Modified code samples to working samples. Cudoes to @MHz for taking the time to provide _SelfeDelete() and pointing out a rather blunt error my eyes could not see.

I have created a sample of a executable containing a data file which I want to be modified when the executable runs.

To do this I'm wrapping up my actual application (compiled as .a3x) with a "Autoit installer" script. The installer includes aut2exe.exe, aut2exeSC.bin so I can recompile the package when my actual program terminates.

The problem is that when I run the executable the it keeps a handle to itself. So I'm not able to remove or modify it.

To make FileInstall happy I keep my source in the aut2exe folder (beta).

; FILENAME: myapp.au3
; PURPOSE: modify a myapp.txt file.
; Compile to a3x
If FileExists("myapp.txt") Then 
    msgbox(0,"myapp.txt Before ", FileRead("myapp.txt"))
Else
    msgbox(0,"myapp.txt ERROR ", "Could not locate file myapp.txt in" & @CRLF & @WorkingDir)
Endif 
FileWriteLine("myapp.txt", "Modified: " & @YEAR & "." & @MON & "." & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC)
msgbox(0,"myapp.txt After", FileRead("myapp.txt"))
oÝ÷ Ù«­¢+Øì%195èM±
½¹Ñ¥¹¹ÔÌ(ìAUIA=]ÉÁÈɽչµåÁÀ¹Í๵åÁÀ¹ÑáÐ)¥9=P
½µÁ¥±Q¡¸µÍ½à À°ÅÕ½Ðí]I9%9ÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½Ðí¼½¹±äÉո̽µÁ¥±ÍÉ¥ÁÐÅÕ½Ðì¤(ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈôQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈíÔÌÀäÈìÅÕ½Ðì)}%¹¥ÑÁÁ±¥Ñ¥½¸ ÀÌØíQµÁ¥È¤(ìôôôIÕ¸ÁÁ±¥Ñ¥½¸ôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôô)IÕ¹]¥Ð¡Õѽ%ÑáµÀìÅÕ½Ðì½Õѽ%ÐÍáÕÑMÉ¥ÁÐÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐíµåÁÀ¹ÍàÅÕ½Ðì°MÉ¥ÁѥȤ(ìôôô
±¸ÕÀôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôô)}IÁ­ÁÁ±¥Ñ¥½¸ ÀÌØíQµÁ¥È¤)}IÁ±M± ÅÕ½ÐíM±
½¹Ñ¥¹¹áÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíQµÁ¥È°ÔÀÀ¤)á¥Ð)Õ¹}%¹¥ÑÁÁ±¥Ñ¥½¸ ÀÌØíQµÁ¥È¤(%¥É
ÉÑ ÀÌØíQµÁ¥È¤(%¥±¥¹Íѱ° ÅÕ½Ðì¸ÀäÈíÕѽ%ÑM¹¥¸ÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐíÕѽ%ÑM¹¥¸ÅÕ½Ðì¤(%¥±¥¹Íѱ° ÅÕ½Ðì¸ÀäÈíÕÁà¹áÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐíÕÁà¹áÅÕ½Ðì¤(%¥±¥¹Íѱ° ÅÕ½Ðì¸ÀäÈíÕÐÉá¹áÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐíÕÐÉá¹áÅÕ½Ðì¤(íÕѽ%Ñ}!¥¡
½±½È¹¥¼(%¥É
ÉÑ ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈí¥½¹ÌÅÕ½Ðì¤(%¥±¥¹Íѱ° ÅÕ½Ðì¸ÀäÈí¥½¹ÌÀäÈíÕѽ%Ñ}!¥¡
½±½È¹¥¼ÅÕ½Ðì°|($$$$ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈí¥½¹ÌÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÅÕ½ÐíÕѽ%Ñ}!¥¡
½±½È¹¥¼ÅÕ½Ðì¤(%¥±%¹Íѱ° ÅÕ½Ðì¸ÀäÈíµåÁÀ¹ÍàÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐíµåÁÀ¹ÍàÅÕ½Ðì¤(%¥±%¹Íѱ° ÅÕ½Ðì¸ÀäÈíµåÁÀ¹ÑáÐÅÕ½Ðì°MÉ¥ÁѥȵÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÅÕ½ÐíµåÁÀ¹ÑáÐÅÕ½Ðì°Ä¤(%¥±%¹Íѱ° ÅÕ½Ðì¸ÀäÈíM±
½¹Ñ¥¹¹ÔÌÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐíM±
½¹Ñ¥¹¹ÔÌÅÕ½Ðì¤$)¹Õ¹)Õ¹}IÁ­ÁÁ±¥Ñ¥½¸ ÀÌØíQµÁ¥È¤(%¥±5½Ù¡MÉ¥ÁѥȵÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÅÕ½ÐíµåÁÀ¹ÑáÐÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíQµÁ¥È°Ä¤(ìÕÐÉá¹á½¥¸±Ðí¥¹¥±¹ÔÌÐìl½½ÕбÐí½ÕÑ¥±¹áÐítl½¥½¸±Ðí¥½¹¥±¹¥¼Ðítl½¹½½µÁ¥±tl½½µÀÀ´Ñtl½ÁÍ̱ÐíÁÍÍÁ¡ÉÍÐít(%IչݥРÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐíÕÐÉá¹áÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÅÕ½Ðì½¥¸ÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÅÕ½ÐíM±
½¹Ñ¥¹¹ÔÌÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÅÕ½Ðì½½ÕÐÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÅÕ½ÐíM±
½¹Ñ¥¹¹áÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÅÕ½Ðì½½µÀÐÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíQµÁ¥È°M]}!%¤$)¹Õ¹(ìôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôô(ìIÁ±Ñ¡ÉÕ¹¥¹ÍÉ¥ÁÐáÕѱ¹±ÑѵÀ¥Éѽɥ̸(ìÀÌØí¥±9ÜèôQ¡¥±Ñ¼ÉÁ±MÉ¥ÁÑÕ±±AÑ (ìÀÌØíQµÁ¥Èèô¥ÉѽÉäѼ±Ñ(ìÀÌØí±äèôµÌ¡ÁÁɽáµÑ±ä¤½ÉÉÁ±¹±ÑÑ¥½¸Ñ­ÌÁ±(ì$$Q¡±äչѥ½¸¥Ìͽ¸Á¥¹Í¼Ñ¥µ¥¹¥Ì¹½ÐÕÉѸ(ìIÑÕɸè9½Ñ¡¥¹(ìÉɽÈèôÄ°
½Õ±¹½Ð±½ÑÀÌØí¥±9Ü(ìôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôôô)Õ¹}IÁ±M± ÀÌØí¥±9Ü°ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈôÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØí¥±äôÀ¤(%1½°ÀÌØíÍ
µ¥±(%¥±±Ñ ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈíÍÉÑ ¹ÐÅÕ½Ðì¤($ÀÌØíÍ
µ¥±ôÌäíÁ¥¹µ¸ÄµÜÌäìµÀìÀÌØí¥±äµÀìÌäìĸĸĸÄÐì¹Õ°ÌäìµÀì
I1|($$$µÀìÌäìé±½½ÀÌäìµÀì
I1|($$$µÀìÌäí°ÅÕ½ÐìÌäìµÀìMÉ¥ÁÑÕ±±AÑ µÀìÌäìÅÕ½ÐìÌäìµÀì
I1|($$$µÀìÌäí¥á¥ÍÐÅÕ½ÐìÌäìµÀìMÉ¥ÁÑÕ±±AÑ µÀìÌäìÅÕ½Ðì½Ñ¼±½½ÀÌäìµÀì
I1(%%¥±á¥ÍÑÌ ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØí¥±9ܤQ¡¸($$ÀÌØíÍ
µ¥±ôÀÌØíÍ
µ¥±µÀìÌäí½ÁäÌäìµÀìÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØí¥±9ܵÀìÌäìÅÕ½ÐìÌäìµÀìMÉ¥ÁÑÕ±±AÑ µÀìÌäìÅÕ½ÐìÌäìµÀì
I1(%±Í($%5Í  ½à ÄØ°ÅÕ½ÐíII=HÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½Ðí
½Õ±¹½Ð±½ÑèÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØí¥±9ܤ($%MÑÉÉ½È Ä¤ìÉɽÈ
½Õ±¹½Ð±½ÑÀÌØí¥±9Ü(%¹¥($ÀÌØíÍ
µ¥±ôÀÌØíÍ
µ¥±µÀìÅÕ½Ðí°½½D½LÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀì
I1($ÀÌØíÍ
µ¥±ôÀÌØíÍ
µ¥±µÀìÅÕ½Ðí°½½DÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíQµÁ¥È(ì]É¥ÑÑ ¥±(%¥±]É¥Ñ ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈíÍÉÑ ¹ÐÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíÍ
µ¥±¤(ìIÕ¸Ñ ¥±(%IÕ¸ ÀÌØíQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈíÍÉÑ ¹ÐÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíQµÁ¥È°M]}!%¤)¹Õ¹

Any suggestions and/or improvements?

EDIT 2: Replaced code tags with AutoIt tags.

Edited by Uten

FileMove(@ScriptDir, $TempDir & "myapp.txt" )
That line looks like a concern. Trying to move a directory with FileMove.

Call this function last before Exit. It should delete your executable and replace with your temp file. No safe guards added if the copy fails.

Func _SelfDelete($iDelay = 0)
    Local $sCmdFile
    FileDelete(@TempDir & "\scratch.bat")
    $sCmdFile = 'ping -n ' & $iDelay & '127.0.0.1 > nul' & @CRLF _
            & ':loop' & @CRLF _
            & 'del "' & @ScriptFullPath & '"' & @CRLF _
            & 'if exist "' & @ScriptFullPath & '" goto loop' & @CRLF _
            & 'copy ' & @TempDir & '\SelfeContained.exe "' & @ScriptFullPath & '"' & @CRLF _
            & 'del ' & @TempDir & '\scratch.bat'
    FileWrite(@TempDir & "\scratch.bat", $sCmdFile)
    Run(@TempDir & "\scratch.bat", @TempDir, @SW_HIDE)
EndFunc

That line looks like a concern. Trying to move a directory with FileMove.

:"> Erh, did not spot that one, not strange the myapp.txt did not update :think:

I figured out somthing similar to your _SelfeDelete function. Even gott the ping stuff. :(

Since you wraped it up, a bit nicer than me, including the if exist loop I'll try it out, and modifie First Post.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Uten