Help Needed Figuring Out A Script Problem

First post, so hello :think:

I`ve been writing a basic program with AutoIt V3, a simple horse racing program to guess a likely winner.

Everything works fine until it gets to this set of statements and then it stops saying it expected a "=" operator in assignment statement:

For $n = 1 to $racers step +1

If $lifetimeaw[$n] = $lifetimeflatturf[$n] and $lifetimeaw[$n] = $lifetimejumps[$n] then $besttype[$n] = "all rounder"

If $lifetimeaw[$n] > $lifetimeflatturf[$n] and $lifetimeflatturf[$n] >= $lifetimejumps[$n] then $besttype[$n] = "aw"

If $lifetimeflatturf[$n] > $lifetimeaw[$n] and $lifetimeaw[$n] <= $lifetimejumps[$n] then $besttype[$n] = "F"

If $lifetimejumps[$n] > $lifetimeflatturf[$n] and $lifetimeflatturf[$n] >= $lifetimeaw[$n] then $besttype = "J"

Next

But I can`t see anything wrong with it, although I am a newb to the language. All I am sure of is that it is something to do with the variables themselves.

I`ll paste the full script at the end of this post in case it helps, this is a work in progress and obviously more data will be fed to the program but I am hoping that someone can help me figure this out.

Thanks. And I hope no one minds me jumping right in with a question as my frst post!

Full script:

; We must include the files needed to draw a GUI.

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

; Set up the variables that will hold data about a race as input by the user

; Each variable below is an array allowing data entry for up to twenty horses

; This is a temporary variable that we will use to store stuff temporarily

global $temp = ""

; This variable holds the type of race

dim $racetype[20]

; This variable holds the points we give each horse

dim $points[20]

; this variable will tell us which type of race this horse wins most often at

dim $besttype[20]

; This variable holds a yes (Y) or no (N) answer to whether the current jockey has ridden this

; horse a lot in the past

dim $regularjockey[20]

; This variable will hold a Y or N answer for whether the current jockey has regularly placed on this

; horse within the top five in races

dim $topfivejockey[20]

; This holds the amount of wins a horse has ever had in flat turf races

; so $lifetimeflatturf[5] tells us how many wins on flat turf horse five has ever had

dim $lifetimeflatturf[20]

; This holds the amount of wins a horse has ever had in jump races so that

; $lifetimejumps[4] tells us how many wins horse four has had in jump races

dim $lifetimejumps[20]

; This holds the amount of wins a horse has ever had in Aw races so that

; $lifetimeaw[7] tells us how many wins horse seven has had in Aw races

dim $lifetimeaw[20]

; This variable holds the name for each horse in the race. So $name[2] tells us the name

; of runner number two in the race.

dim $name[20]

; $age holds the age for each horse so $age[10] tells us how old horse ten is in years

dim $age[20]

; Here we get a name from the user by which they can identify the race such as "3.30 at kempton".

$racename = InputBox ( "Name of the race", "Please give me a name for the race and I will use this when displaying or saving results for you. Something like 3.30 AT HAYDOCK for example." )

; now we find out how many horses are entered to run in the race

$racers = InputBox ( "Number of entrants in race?", "Please type in numbers how many horses are in the race" )

; lets get the type of race

$temp = InputBox ( "Type of race?", "Is this race a flat race (F) , All Weather (AW) or a jump race (J)?" )

for $n = 1 to $racers step +1

$racetype[$n] = $temp

Next

; Here we get the name for each horse

$temp = "Please type in the name of runner number " & $n & " and press ENTER on keyboard when ready to enter the name of the next runner."

$name[$n] = InputBox ( "What is the horses name? Please note it is easiest to enter the names in the order they are listed in your race guide.", $temp )

Next

; Now we get additional details about each runner

; let us get the age of horse[$n]

$temp = "What is the age of runner " & $name[$n]

$age[$n] = InputBox ( "Age of runner" & $n, $temp )

; let us now get the amount of lifetime flat turf wins the horse has had

$lifetimeflatturf[$n] = InputBox ( "Amount of flat turf wins?", "Please enter the lifetime amount of flat turf wins for " & $name[$n] & "?" )

; we now get the amount of lifetime jump wins for the horse

$lifetimejumps[$n] = InputBox ( "Amount of jump wins?", "Please enter the lifetime amount of wins for " & $name[$n] & "?" )

; let us now get the amount of all weather wins the horse has had

$lifetimeaw[$n] = InputBox ( "Amount of all weather (AW) wins?", "Please enter the lifetime amount of all weather (AW) wins for " & $name[$n] & "?" )

; find out if the current jockey has ridden this horse quite a few times

; if yes then find out if this jockey regularly gets this horse within the top five finishers

$regularjockey[$n] = InputBox ("Regular jockey?", "Has " & $name[$n] & "been ridden by the current jockey regularly? Look in the list of the races it has entered and decide. Type Y for YES or N if it is not a jockey used to this horse." )

If $regularjockey[$n] = "y" Then

$topfivejockey[$n] = InputBox ("Regularly in top five with current jockey?", "Has " & $name[$n] & " been mostly within the top five when ridden by the current jockey?" )

ElseIf $regularjockey[$n] = "n" then $topfivejockey[$n] = "n"

EndIf

Next

; Now we figure out what type of race the horses are best at from AW, FLAT or JUMP and

; store this in $besttype

If $lifetimeaw[$n] = $lifetimeflatturf[$n] and $lifetimeaw[$n] = $lifetimejumps[$n] then $besttype[$n] = "all rounder"

If $lifetimeaw[$n] > $lifetimeflatturf[$n] and $lifetimeflatturf[$n] >= $lifetimejumps[$n] then $besttype[$n] = "aw"

If $lifetimeflatturf[$n] > $lifetimeaw[$n] and $lifetimeaw[$n] <= $lifetimejumps[$n] then $besttype[$n] = "F"

If $lifetimejumps[$n] > $lifetimeflatturf[$n] and $lifetimeflatturf[$n] >= $lifetimeaw[$n] then $besttype = "J"

Next

; Now we calculate the horses chances with the highest points meaning the best chance

; of wiining

; award 3 points if the horse is best at this type of race

; or 2 if it is an allrounder

if $besttype[$n] = $racetype[$n] then $points[$n] = $points[$n] +3

if $besttype[$n] = "all rounder" then $points[$n] = $points[$n] +2

; award 3 points if the rider has regularly ridden the horse within the top five

if $regularjockey[$n] = "y" and $topfivejockey[$n] = "y" then $points[$n] = $points[$n] +3

Next

; now write a text file to the desktop named after the race and with these details inside

$file = FileOpen("C:\race result.txt", 2)

FileWriteLine ( $file, "Predictive result for the race " &$name

FileWriteLine ( $file, "The horse with the highest score is the probable winner" )

FileWriteLine ( $file, "The horse called " & $name[$n] & " scores " & $points[$n] & "points." )

Next

FileClose ($file)

Exit

• Moderators

This has no errors when I used Au3check... I fixed 3 things (one being I removed all the Step + 1 (proper syntax would be Step 1, but it steps 1 by default anyway

; We must include the files needed to draw a GUI.
#include <GUIConstants.au3>
; Set up the variables that will hold data about a race as input by the user
; Each variable below is an array allowing data entry for up to twenty horses
; This is a temporary variable that we will use to store stuff temporarily
Global $temp = ""
; This variable holds the type of race
Dim $racetype[20]
; This variable holds the points we give each horse
Dim $points[20]
; this variable will tell us which type of race this horse wins most often at
Dim $besttype[20]
; This variable holds a yes (Y) or no (N) answer to whether the current jockey has ridden this
; horse a lot in the past
Dim $regularjockey[20]
; This variable will hold a Y or N answer for whether the current jockey has regularly placed on this
; horse within the top five in races
Dim $topfivejockey[20]
; This holds the amount of wins a horse has ever had in flat turf races
; so $lifetimeflatturf[5] tells us how many wins on flat turf horse five has ever had
Dim $lifetimeflatturf[20]
; This holds the amount of wins a horse has ever had in jump races so that
; $lifetimejumps[4] tells us how many wins horse four has had in jump races
Dim $lifetimejumps[20]
; This holds the amount of wins a horse has ever had in Aw races so that
; $lifetimeaw[7] tells us how many wins horse seven has had in Aw races
Dim $lifetimeaw[20]
; This variable holds the name for each horse in the race. So $name[2] tells us the name
; of runner number two in the race.
Dim $name[20]
; $age holds the age for each horse so $age[10] tells us how old horse ten is in years
Dim $age[20]
; Here we get a name from the user by which they can identify the race such as "3.30 at kempton".
$racename = InputBox( "Name of the race", "Please give me a name for the race and I will use this when displaying or saving results for you. Something like 3.30 AT HAYDOCK for example." )
; now we find out how many horses are entered to run in the race
$racers = InputBox( "Number of entrants in race?", "Please type in numbers how many horses are in the race" )
; lets get the type of race
$temp = InputBox( "Type of race?", "Is this race a flat race (F) , All Weather (AW) or a jump race (J)?" )
For $n = 1 To $racers
    $racetype[$n] = $temp
Next
; Here we get the name for each horse
For $n = 1 To $racers
    $temp = "Please type in the name of runner number " & $n & " and press ENTER on keyboard when ready to enter the name of the next runner."
    $name[$n] = InputBox( "What is the horses name? Please note it is easiest to enter the names in the order they are listed in your race guide.", $temp )
Next
; Now we get additional details about each runner
For $n = 1 To $racers
; let us get the age of horse[$n]
    $temp = "What is the age of runner " & $name[$n]
    $age[$n] = InputBox( "Age of runner" & $n, $temp )
; let us now get the amount of lifetime flat turf wins the horse has had
    $lifetimeflatturf[$n] = InputBox( "Amount of flat turf wins?", "Please enter the lifetime amount of flat turf wins for " & $name[$n] & "?" )
; we now get the amount of lifetime jump wins for the horse
    $lifetimejumps[$n] = InputBox( "Amount of jump wins?", "Please enter the lifetime amount of wins for " & $name[$n] & "?" )
; let us now get the amount of all weather wins the horse has had
    $lifetimeaw[$n] = InputBox( "Amount of all weather (AW) wins?", "Please enter the lifetime amount of all weather (AW) wins for " & $name[$n] & "?" )
; find out if the current jockey has ridden this horse quite a few times
; if yes then find out if this jockey regularly gets this horse within the top five finishers
    $regularjockey[$n] = InputBox("Regular jockey?", "Has " & $name[$n] & "been ridden by the current jockey regularly? Look in the list of the races it has entered and decide. Type Y for YES or N if it is not a jockey used to this horse." )
    If $regularjockey[$n] = "y" Then
        $topfivejockey[$n] = InputBox("Regularly in top five with current jockey?", "Has " & $name[$n] & " been mostly within the top five when ridden by the current jockey?" )
    ElseIf $regularjockey[$n] = "n" Then
        $topfivejockey[$n] = "n"
    EndIf
Next
; Now we figure out what type of race the horses are best at from AW, FLAT or JUMP and
; store this in $besttype
For $n = 1 To $racers
    If $lifetimeaw[$n] = $lifetimeflatturf[$n] And $lifetimeaw[$n] = $lifetimejumps[$n] Then $besttype[$n] = "all rounder"
    If $lifetimeaw[$n] > $lifetimeflatturf[$n] And $lifetimeflatturf[$n] >= $lifetimejumps[$n] Then $besttype[$n] = "aw"
    If $lifetimeflatturf[$n] > $lifetimeaw[$n] And $lifetimeaw[$n] <= $lifetimejumps[$n] Then $besttype[$n] = "F"
    If $lifetimejumps[$n] > $lifetimeflatturf[$n] And $lifetimeflatturf[$n] >= $lifetimeaw[$n] Then $besttype = "J"
Next
; Now we calculate the horses chances with the highest points meaning the best chance
; of wiining
For $n = 1 To $racers
; award 3 points if the horse is best at this type of race
; or 2 if it is an allrounder
    If $besttype[$n] = $racetype[$n] Then $points[$n] = $points[$n] +3
    If $besttype[$n] = "all rounder" Then $points[$n] = $points[$n] +2
; award 3 points if the rider has regularly ridden the horse within the top five
    If $regularjockey[$n] = "y" And $topfivejockey[$n] = "y" Then $points[$n] = $points[$n] +3
Next
; now write a text file to the desktop named after the race and with these details inside
$file = FileOpen("C:\race result.txt", 2)
FileWriteLine( $file, "Predictive result for the race " &$name)
FileWriteLine( $file, "The horse with the highest score is the probable winner" )
For $n = 1 To $racers
    FileWriteLine( $file, "The horse called " & $name[$n] & " scores " & $points[$n] & "points." )
Next
FileClose($file)
Exit

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried the revised code and I still get the same errors. Depending on what data I enter the error changes to a different line number but is always within that for next loop I started the first post with.

I just cannot figure it out, still scratching my head over it as Scite editor also reports the file has errors, just can`t figure out why.

I think I`ll try a fresh look again in the morning.

Thanks.

• Developers

AU3Check comes back with a few errors ....

-and-

Think the red characters are missing in this line:

If $lifetimejumps[$n] > $lifetimeflatturf[$n] And $lifetimeflatturf[$n] >= $lifetimeaw[$n] Then $besttype[$n] = "J"

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

AU3Check comes back with a few errors ....

-and-

Think the red characters are missing in this line:

If $lifetimejumps[$n] > $lifetimeflatturf[$n] And $lifetimeflatturf[$n] >= $lifetimeaw[$n] Then $besttype[$n] = "J"

After all those hours staring at it I feel a pratt for missing that!

That seems to have sorted it out, I`m not really an idiot but how I missed that error I`ve no idea. Still, I`m glad I posted here or I may never have realised the problem without the help from here.

Thanks (again) :think: