Vc++ 6 Or C# Or C++ 2005 Express?

mega128

Hi all,

It seems to me that it is right time for me to get started with VC or C# since I don't like the fact that after developing VB 6 application I have to register DLL file on end user workstation. I have been programming microcontroller using C but never really worked on VC 6.0 or C#.

I have following doubts in my mind please correct me if I am wrong:

1. Can I use VB.NET in conjuction with AutoItX DLL so that I don't need to deploy .NET framework on end user workstaioin? I found out that it was not possible so I chose VB 6.0. Please let me know if this is possible in VB.NET as it has more tools that VB 6.

2. Same question applies here, Can I use C# or C++ 2005 to develop desktop application that would not require .NET framework to be installed on the target machine.

3. Is VC++ is the best one for non .NET framework applications. It yes then 6.0 or 2005 Express?

Thanks for helping a newbie like me. :think:

Edited by mega128

In response to your questions, on order:

1. In order to use VB.NET, the end user must have the .Net runtime installed. You shouldn't need to deploy the framework because .Net is one of Windows updates.

2. C# is a purely .Net language. It requires exactly the .Net framework, nothing more, nothing less. As long as you do not compile Managed C++, you can run it on any Windows machine with the proper dlls installed or included.

3. VC++ is good for unmanaged applications as well as managed. If you compile using .Net calls, then you need .Net runtime. I would assume that VC++ would be better than any express version.

Anything else?

• 1 month later...

Invloving the comparison, see my posts on this topic here: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...ndpost&p=180976

As to AutoItX with Java, yes, it is possible.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/...pec/design.html

Refering to the data in te aboue link, see the below code:

class Cls { 

native void AU3_CDTray(String szDrive, String szAction);
     native long AU3_IsAdmin();
     //Put all the rest of the AutoItX functions here

static { 

System.loadLibrary(AutoItX3);  //Put AutoItX3.dll in your PATH

} 

}

#)

• Administrators

1. In order to use VB.NET, the end user must have the .Net runtime installed. You shouldn't need to deploy the framework because .Net is one of Windows updates.

.NET is an optional update - it won't come down with automatic updates or an "express" windows update.

Isn't .NET 1.1 a critical update and .NET 2.0 optional?

We run the automatic Windows updates, and .NET 2.0 was not something we needed on most of our 400+ machines, so we have not added it to our deployment list. We did however install it on the 10 machines running Visual Studio 2005.

This is from Microsoft:

The Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0 redistributable package installs the .NET Framework runtime and associated files required to run applications developed to target the .NET Framework v2.0.

The .NET Framework version 2.0 improves scalability and performance of applications with improved caching, application deployment and updating with ClickOnce, support for the broadest array of browsers and devices with ASP.NET 2.0 controls and services. For more information on the .NET Framework 2.0, click here.

Edited by jefhal
...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format