Need Advice On Creating A Text Rpg For Multi-players

I was wondering how to get a text based RPG (or any game really) to work with multiple players over a network.

What methods and how could they be implemented in AutoIT to communicate effectively over a network to do this?

How much different would it be to create this for running over the internet as well as a LAN.

Used to play Simu Dragonrealms and really liked it but have been out for about a year.

Be open minded but not gullible.A hammer sees everything as a nail ... so don't be A tool ... be many tools.

I was wondering how to get a text based RPG (or any game really) to work with multiple players over a network.

What methods and how could they be implemented in AutoIT to communicate effectively over a network to do this?

How much different would it be to create this for running over the internet as well as a LAN.

Used to play Simu Dragonrealms and really liked it but have been out for about a year.

While I think this would be a cool proof of concept autoit script, why not use the same mud base that Dragonrealms used? It was a modified-diku mud, so I would download the diku mud base and read all the documentation I could find on setting up a diku mud.

Just my 2 cents if you would want a stable MUD enviornment.

AutoIt Scripts:Aimbot: Proof of Concept - PixelSearching Aimbot with several search/autoshoot/lock-on techniques.Sliding Toolbar - Add a nice Sliding Toolbar to your next script. Click the link to see an animation of it in action!FontInfo UDF - Get list of system fonts, or search to see if a particular font is installed.Get Extended Property UDF - Retrieve a files extended properties (e.g., video/image dimensions, file version, bitrate of song/video, etc)

I really doupt that Autoit is the right tool for doing this. While I'm certain it could be done, I think if you need to ask these questions you would be better off trying to build off of one of the many MUD's that are already out there.

check out the folowing link for a list of many places to start:

http://www.andreasen.org/newmud/

[u]Helpful tips:[/u]If you want better answers to your questions, take the time to reproduce your issue in a small "stand alone" example script whenever possible. Also, make sure you tell us 1) what you tried, 2) what you expected to happen, and 3) what happened instead.[u]Useful links:[/u]BrettF's update to LxP's "How to AutoIt" pdfValuater's Autoit 1-2-3 Download page for the latest versions of Autoit and SciTE[quote]<glyph> For example - if you came in here asking "how do I use a jackhammer" we might ask "why do you need to use a jackhammer"<glyph> If the answer to the latter question is "to knock my grandmother's head off to let out the evil spirits that gave her cancer", then maybe the problem is actually unrelated to jackhammers[/quote]

AutoIt > Everything

The best way to script this is by looking at the Beta help for TCP functions. There's a multi user-chatclient there, that is basically very much like a RPG. All you need do is think of a few ways to send text to change variables that store things like Skill levels etc., for this you want to look at a few functions like StringInStr and StringReplace.

Also, you may want to take a look at excisting TCP servers out there, and also remote clients that use TCP (not mine though, it is really poor).

If you have any other questions, please just send me a message i'm also interested in this project and i'll help you out if you really still want to do this.

I have been writting MUDs for over 10 years now and I think Au3 would be a very BAD language to use for this due to the lack of speed and multiple thread support. Granted, it would be neat, just bloody slow.

I wrote an offline version of a MUD of mine in au3 (I basically made it a single player RPG) but if I had more than 10 mobs on the MUD at any given time, the MUD would bog down my machine. This kinda sux tho because the awesome string manipulation in Au3 would make writting/maintaining a MUD so much easier. Once I find it, i'll upload Au3-MUD 1.1b, but I think I may have deleted it during my last reformat...

-CMR

Thanks for the info. folks.

I may not do this large of a project in au3. However, I didn't realize that DragonRealms used a modified MUD.

I know that before I left they had revamped a lot of their MUD 'language' and it may not resemble anything of the Diku MUD. As a matter of fact, they based it off of the new Gemstone III (or whatever version it is at) that Simu also owns.

Thanks for the heads up CodeMaster. While it would still be interesting to try my hand at doing some network communication I think I will not try a project this in depth in AutoIT. I will still probably do some smaller scale, simple, rpg or other game.

I really just miss DR and want to make something like it but without all the stuff that annoyed me about it.

I know it would be a big project but I also need something to do

I made a simple dungeon generator a long time ago. It was actually just fun to watch it make the level. Then you could do a simple walk through with a basic 3d wall layout (not smooth scrolling), just creating each room as you move into it.

I would just like to make something that is fun, playable without being frustrating, and configurable. One a small version and one on a larger scale. I'll have to take a look at the MUDs that are out there and see what looks good for a large scale MUD.

Thanks again folks.

Be open minded but not gullible.A hammer sees everything as a nail ... so don't be A tool ... be many tools.