Help A (as Of Yet) N00b Please

Hi, I'll skip the usual stuff about being new to all this and desparately needing help etc...

So, I was working on this beautiful mp3 player, and when it was finished I noticed the CPU usage was an

average 40% (it's about 1200 lines long). So i decided to turn it into a OnEvent type of script so CPU might go down. However, now with all done, what happens is the following: the player starts it's splashscreen (ok), loads the main window (ok), then shows th exit popup and exits (not ok). Personally I think it's because i dont' use GUICtrlSetOnEvent correctly, and yes I have checked the help file.

Some hint as to why it shows this behaviour would be very much appreciated!

Don't take my pic to serious...~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~You Looked, but you did not see!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Developers

Hi, I'll skip the usual stuff about being new to all this and desparately needing help etc...

So, I was working on this beautiful mp3 player, and when it was finished I noticed the CPU usage was an

average 40% (it's about 1200 lines long). So i decided to turn it into a OnEvent type of script so CPU might go down. However, now with all done, what happens is the following: the player starts it's splashscreen (ok), loads the main window (ok), then shows th exit popup and exits (not ok). Personally I think it's because i dont' use GUICtrlSetOnEvent correctly, and yes I have checked the help file.

Some hint as to why it shows this behaviour would be very much appreciated!

You are not getting an error ?

these type of statements don't look right:

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($volumeslider, _volumeslider($volume))

the function needs to be a string..... don't think parameters are supported ....

GUICtrlSetOnEvent ( controlID, "function" )

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

You are not getting an error ?

these type of statements don't look right:

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($volumeslider, _volumeslider($volume))

the function needs to be a string..... don't think parameters are supported ....

GUICtrlSetOnEvent ( controlID, "function" )

No I don't get any errors, but I already thought that the parameters in the functions might have been the problem, as I couldn't find any script in OnEventMode that used them. I guess I'll just stick to the Guigetmsg way then. Maybe this is something for the next version.

Thanks for your reply!

Don't take my pic to serious...~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~You Looked, but you did not see!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Moderators

No I don't get any errors, but I already thought that the parameters in the functions might have been the problem, as I couldn't find any script in OnEventMode that used them. I guess I'll just stick to the Guigetmsg way then. Maybe this is something for the next version.

Thanks for your reply!

The only 2 issues you have run into, one being a biggy, is 1. You need to wrap the function in quotes like so:
GUICtrlSetOnEvent($volumeslider, "_volumeslider")
And 2. You cannot pass parameters this way GUICtrlSetOnEvent(), it can only be a Function call in which the function has no parameters.

Example:

Func _volumeslider()
Is correct with this example and
Func _volumeslider($Parameter = '')
Or
Func _volumeslider($Parameter)
Is incorrect.

There's ways around this (Parameters) if you truly must use OnEvent, but I like the good old GUIGetMsg() myself :think:.

Edit:

Misplaced Code tag

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

The only 2 issues you have run into, one being a biggy, is 1. You need to wrap the function in quotes like so:

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($volumeslider, "_volumeslider")
And 2. You cannot pass parameters this way GUICtrlSetOnEvent(), it can only be a Function call in which the function has no parameters.

Example:

Func _volumeslider()
Is correct with this example and
Func _volumeslider($Parameter = '')
Or
Func _volumeslider($Parameter)
Is incorrect.

There's ways around this (Parameters) if you truly must use OnEvent, but I like the good old GUIGetMsg() myself :(.

Edit:

Misplaced Code tag

Well it's only necessary if using this mode will really (as I think) lower the CPU usage. Otherwise I'll just use the one with GuiGetmsg, which now uses an average of 15% when playing music (still too much IMHO).

I am interested in the way around though, so if you could perhaps explain it to me, I would be grateful. :think:

• Developers

Well it's only necessary if using this mode will really (as I think) lower the CPU usage. Otherwise I'll just use the one with GuiGetmsg, which now uses an average of 15% when playing music (still too much IMHO).

I am interested in the way around though, so if you could perhaps explain it to me, I would be grateful. :think:

To save cpu in a getmsg() loop you could do something like this:

While 1
   $msg = GUIGetMsg()
   If $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then ExitLoop
  ; Only perform the Select logic when a control is activated
   If $msg < 1 Then ContinueLoop
  ;
   Select        
      Case $msg =  .....
       ;

EndSelect
WEnd

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

To save cpu in a getmsg() loop you could do something like this:

While 1
   $msg = GUIGetMsg()
   If $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then ExitLoop
 ; Only perform the Select logic when a control is activated
   If $msg < 1 Then ContinueLoop
 ;
   Select        
      Case $msg =  .....
      ;

EndSelect
WEnd

First of all, I really like the way people on this forum treat each other.

That said, your suggestion gave me a very good idea :think: ; I decided to do this

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg(1)
    $traymsg = TrayGetMsg()
    If $msg[0] <> 0 Then
        _guigetmessage()
    EndIf
    If $traymsg <> 0 Then
        _traymessage()
    EndIf
WEnd

and put what was originally in the while loop in a function called _guigetmessage. This decreased cpu usage from ~14% to ~5% :( (when playing, when idle it takes up 0%). I don't know if this is something everybody but me does, but if it isn't this is surily (spelled correctly?) worth the little time it takes to turn 98% of your loop into a function.

Thanks for your helping!!!

• Developers

First of all, I really like the way people on this forum treat each other.

That said, your suggestion gave me a very good idea :think: ; I decided to do this

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg(1)
    $traymsg = TrayGetMsg()
    If $msg[0] <> 0 Then
        _guigetmessage()
    EndIf
    If $traymsg <> 0 Then
        _traymessage()
    EndIf
WEnd

and put what was originally in the while loop in a function called _guigetmessage. This decreased cpu usage from ~14% to ~5% :( (when playing, when idle it takes up 0%). I don't know if this is something everybody but me does, but if it isn't this is surily (spelled correctly?) worth the little time it takes to turn 98% of your loop into a function.

Thanks for your helping!!!

I would use :

If $msg[0] > 0 Then
        _guigetmessage()
    EndIf

To avoid the tests being done on mouse movement......

veel plezier...

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I would use :

If $msg[0] > 0 Then
        _guigetmessage()
    EndIf

To avoid the tests being done on mouse movement......

veel plezier...

OK thanx, I didn't know mouse movements were also detected by GuiGetMsg().

Doesn't matter much though, as I built in a "hide" mode which I use practically use all the time.

Hij gebruikt als hij gecompiled is trouwens 0% CPU. Magnificent!