Video Sync

I'm going to write an autoit script to allow my friend and I to sync our video players so when we watch the same movie, they will be at the exact same place.

However, he is on an extremely slow dialup connection and there will probably be some delay between when the signal is sent and when my player will hit play as well. Even if the delay ends up being negligable I'm curious about doing something like this anyway.

What I'm looking for are just some ideas on how to get some point of time reference between our computers that is independent of our connection speed. My first idea would be to have both our computers to retrieve the atomic time from the internet and then have it start our players at a specified time, a few seconds after the signal is sent. This, however, has the same inherent problem of having to retrieve the atomic time and it will be off depending on how slowly it takes you to retrieve the time information, etc, etc.

Does anyone have any fresh ideas on this? I'm not looking for autoit help persay, more just general ideas. It will however be made in autoit.

-Sim

AutoIt Scripts:Aimbot: Proof of Concept - PixelSearching Aimbot with several search/autoshoot/lock-on techniques.Sliding Toolbar - Add a nice Sliding Toolbar to your next script. Click the link to see an animation of it in action!FontInfo UDF - Get list of system fonts, or search to see if a particular font is installed.Get Extended Property UDF - Retrieve a files extended properties (e.g., video/image dimensions, file version, bitrate of song/video, etc)

Maybe finding teh speed of the connection between the two computers and taking that into account?

the "ping" command is quite useful...

#)

I thought of that as a possibility. Taking an average of ping times that are of similar packet size as the command being sent to the other computer and taking that into account.

Seemed a bit sloppy though, so that is my last resort.

AutoIt Scripts:Aimbot: Proof of Concept - PixelSearching Aimbot with several search/autoshoot/lock-on techniques.Sliding Toolbar - Add a nice Sliding Toolbar to your next script. Click the link to see an animation of it in action!FontInfo UDF - Get list of system fonts, or search to see if a particular font is installed.Get Extended Property UDF - Retrieve a files extended properties (e.g., video/image dimensions, file version, bitrate of song/video, etc)