Auto Install/uninstall Of Symantec Av

Hi guys - I'm trying to generate a script (no coding experience whatsoever) for an upgrade of a large corporate site. Its an AV rollout of Symantec AV 10 - problem is that the install process requires that any older clients are uninstalled prior to the new client. I obviously would prefer not to run around to 2000 pc's and manually uninstall the older client - but would not like to leave all clients exposed with no AV as a result of a Group Policy script.

I'm trying to do two things that would help a lot of admins in the same situation.

One : A custom silent uninstall of SAV client v7.5 / 7.6

Heres what I have to attempt the uninstall of the older SAV client (not working...)

RunWait(@COMSPEC " /c ""C:\Program Files\Navnt\navustub.exe" C:\WINNT\IsUninst.exe -a -f"C:\Program Files\Navnt\navnt.isu" -c"C:\Program Files\Navnt\NAVINSTNT.DLL")

(Can the NavNT dir be deleted after uninstall in the script??)

Two : A custom silent install of Symantec V 10 (... this works)

RunWait ('\\avserver\VPHOME\CLT-INST\WIN32\setup.exe /S /V"/qn REBOOT=ReallySuprress ENABLEAUTOPROTECT=1 RUNLIVEUPDATE=1 NETWORKTYPE=1 SERVERNAME=avserver"')

Ideally I would love if somebody could create an AutoIT for this PITA upgrade process , and possibly an autodetect for the "C:\Program Files\Navnt\" directory on the client (if dir exists then start the uninstall process on the clients?).

I'd really appreciate any help at all

Thanks

Hoot

• Moderators

I had to go through this same process about a year ago. Look for a program called NoNav.exe, this is the best tool for cleaning up NAV. What I found was that the uninstall for the old version was only successful about 75% of the time, therefore the new version would not install. After running NoNav I was then able to install the new version without a problem. So instead of having to run both I just ran the NoNav and then installed the new version.

Cheers for the response guys,

Larry - looks great but can you give me something that I can understand ? .... : ) ..... routers , switches, firewalls, servers I can deal with ... but lets just say that code would not exactly be my strong point (thats an understatement btw). Would it be possible to elaborate any further on the RegUninstallFind uninstall script ( a rough example)? And since you seem to seriously know your s**t , can ask about a deletion of the legacy NavNT dir after the uninstall?

Big Daddy - Thanks for the heads up - I've used NoNAV on a few occasions but was going to use it as a doomsday scenario since its the equivalent to heavy duty napalm on any Symantec product installed (unregisters DLL's , removes reg entries , etc) , and some workstations have different flavours of existing Symantec products which can tbe touched. Also it can take up to 15 minutes to run on every machine. Did you use AutoIT to script your NoNAV/Install or was it a sneakernet scenario?

I understand what your saying its just that I'm trying to do the uninstall with as little interruption to the user environment as possible and was hoping that someone would spot the error i my uninstall code...or is it just garbage and I should walk away. Ideally I wanted the uninstall and reinstall on the same script.

RunWait(@COMSPEC " /c ""C:\Program Files\Navnt\navustub.exe" C:\WINNT\IsUninst.exe -a -f"C:\Program Files\Navnt\navnt.isu" -c"C:\Program Files\Navnt\NAVINSTNT.DLL")

Thanks for all your help guys.

• Moderators

Cheers for the response guys,

Larry - looks great but can you give me something that I can understand ? .... : ) ..... routers , switches, firewalls, servers I can deal with ... but lets just say that code would not exactly be my strong point (thats an understatement btw). Would it be possible to elaborate any further on the RegUninstallFind uninstall script ( a rough example)? And since you seem to seriously know your s**t , can ask about a deletion of the legacy NavNT dir after the uninstall?

I thought what Larry provided was explained very well? Your script would look something like this:

$a = ""
; change the search string accordingly
$a = RegUninstallStringFind("Notron AntiVirus") 
If $a <> "" Then
    $a = $a & " /q"
; this is just a test line to make sure it works
    MsgBox(0, "", "This is your uninstall command:" & $a)
; uncomment this line when ready to use
;RunWait($a)
Else
    MsgBox(48, "Error", "There are no keys matching your request!")
EndIf

Func RegUninstallStringFind($szFind)
    Local $index, $subkey, $sRet, $sBuff
    Local Const $HKLM_UNINSTALL = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"
    $sRet = ""
    $index = 1
    While 1
        $subkey = RegEnumKey($HKLM_UNINSTALL, $index)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        $sBuff = RegRead($HKLM_UNINSTALL & "\" & $subkey, "DisplayName")
        If StringInStr($sBuff, $szFind) Then
            $sRet = RegRead($HKLM_UNINSTALL & "\" & $subkey, "UninstallString")
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
        $index = $index + 1
    WEnd
    Return $sRet
EndFunc  ;==>RegUninstallStringFind

Big Daddy - Thanks for the heads up - I've used NoNAV on a few occasions but was going to use it as a doomsday scenario since its the equivalent to heavy duty napalm on any Symantec product installed (unregisters DLL's , removes reg entries , etc) , and some workstations have different flavours of existing Symantec products which can tbe touched. Also it can take up to 15 minutes to run on every machine. Did you use AutoIT to script your NoNAV/Install or was it a sneakernet scenario?

If you have other Symantec Products installed then no I wouldn't use NoNav. What I done was create a login script that checked for the old version of Symantec, if present it ran NoNav then forced the computer to reboot, if not it installed the new version.