Convert Unicode To Ascii? (file Convert?)

I exported my entire registry into a .reg file. I'm in Windows XP so it by default saves as a UNICODE file. Well, I wasn't aware of this, and I have about 5 registry exports in UNICODE that took a LONG time to go thru and export certain VM Snapshot registries.

I've looked thru the forums, and found some that work, but none of them seem to work on a 25MB .reg file.

Can anyone help me out?

Edited by AcidicChip

While not AutoIT solutions if you simply want the job done you could:

1.) When exporting the key from Regedit, choose "Win9x/NT4 Registration Files

(REGEDIT4)" from the "Save as Type:" menu.

2.) Use one of the many programs with built in unicode to ascii converters such as UltraEdit.

AutoIt Scripts:Aimbot: Proof of Concept - PixelSearching Aimbot with several search/autoshoot/lock-on techniques.Sliding Toolbar - Add a nice Sliding Toolbar to your next script. Click the link to see an animation of it in action!FontInfo UDF - Get list of system fonts, or search to see if a particular font is installed.Get Extended Property UDF - Retrieve a files extended properties (e.g., video/image dimensions, file version, bitrate of song/video, etc)

While not AutoIT solutions if you simply want the job done you could:

1.) When exporting the key from Regedit, choose "Win9x/NT4 Registration Files

(REGEDIT4)" from the "Save as Type:" menu.

2.) Use one of the many programs with built in unicode to ascii converters such as UltraEdit.

1) Would rather not spend another 5 or 6 hours exporting registries

2) Kinda looking for an automated way of doing it.

You only have 5 registry exports.. so why write a script for 5 files? You could have the whole thing done in 2 minutes:

UltraEdit Unicode to Ascii Conversion Video

Were these the functions that couldnt handle the 25meg file?

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...1815&hl=unicode

Unicode2Asc($UnicodeString)

Edited by Simucal
AutoIt Scripts:Aimbot: Proof of Concept - PixelSearching Aimbot with several search/autoshoot/lock-on techniques.Sliding Toolbar - Add a nice Sliding Toolbar to your next script. Click the link to see an animation of it in action!FontInfo UDF - Get list of system fonts, or search to see if a particular font is installed.Get Extended Property UDF - Retrieve a files extended properties (e.g., video/image dimensions, file version, bitrate of song/video, etc)

simu are you into flash then converting it to gif?

No flash involved. I could export to flash if I wanted to but currently going straight to gif.. I'm just playing with my new toy. I probably shouldnt post images for the people on dialup though.

You only have 5 registry exports.. so why write a script for 5 files? You could have the whole thing done in 2 minutes:

If you really want to use AutoIt to do it, maybe these functions would be of help (first topic to come up when searching for unicode in scripts and scraps:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...1815&hl=unicode

Particularly:

Unicode2Asc($UnicodeString)

I kind of wanted to have AutoIT do it without having to use anything 3rd party. I know about 3rd apps to do it for me, but I would like AutoIT to be able to handle it.

Unicode2Asc($UnicodeString), Another one that reads each character, and the cmd type infile > outfile, do not work for a 25MB .reg file.

Purhapse you know of ANOTHER way to have it achieved in AUTOIT ?

Edited by AcidicChip

Purhapse you know of ANOTHER way to have it achieved in AUTOIT ?

No need for the moody caps.

You say Unicode2Asc doesnt work with 25meg file or greater. Well, I just dumped my registry (75meg) and ran this script on it:

$uni_temp = FileRead("C:\test.reg",FileGetSize("C:\test.reg"))
$asc_final = Unicode2Asc($uni_temp)
FileWrite("C:\test2.reg", $asc_final)
Func Unicode2Asc($UniString)
    If Not IsBinaryString($UniString) Then
        SetError(1)
        Return $UniString
    EndIf

Local $BufferLen = StringLen($UniString)
    Local $Input = DllStructCreate("byte[" & $BufferLen & "]")
    Local $Output = DllStructCreate("char[" & $BufferLen & "]")
    DllStructSetData($Input, 1, $UniString)
    Local $Return = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "WideCharToMultiByte", _
        "int", 0, _
        "int", 0, _
        "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($Input), _
        "int", $BufferLen / 2, _
        "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($Output), _
        "int", $BufferLen, _
        "int", 0, _
        "int", 0)  
    Local $AscString = DllStructGetData($Output, 1)
    $Output = 0
    $Input = 0
    Return $AscString
EndFunc

And it converted it in about ~30ish seconds with no problems.

No need for the moody caps.

You say Unicode2Asc doesnt work with 25meg file or greater. Well, I just dumped my registry (75meg) and ran this script on it:

And it converted it in about ~30ish seconds with no problems.

I guess it does work. For some reason it was crapping out on me. That was one of the first ones I tried. I'll have to look into why it messed up previousely.

Sorry if I came off moody. I was just looking for a way for AutoIT to handle it, and I was getting answers of how to get around it, rather than how to do it. Kinda got frusterating.

I guess it does work. For some reason it was crapping out on me. That was one of the first ones I tried. I'll have to look into why it messed up previousely.

Sorry if I came off moody. I was just looking for a way for AutoIT to handle it, and I was getting answers of how to get around it, rather than how to do it. Kinda got frusterating.

The only reason I was pointing you in other directions than autoit to begin with is sometimes AutoIt isnt the answer. I mean, If you said in your post that you had 100 reg files that needed converted I would of investigated the AutoIt ways first.. but I was simply trying to get your 5 reg files converted in fastest amount of time and I didnt see how that warrented writing a script to do it.

Cheers,

Simucal